The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DBX 160A: Is the hardware worth over plug-ins?
Old 14th January 2018 | Show parent
Deleted 9d8db46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
In my opinion hardware is always better than ITB compression. I don't even find it to be that close. Which is why I have 45 channels of compressors.
Look at this guy's website. ^ ^ ^
Dayumm!
Old 15th January 2018 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
OT but I bet that sample would be intriguing layered underneath a snare! Folks would be like...”paging @ BrentHahn . Does anyone know if he posts here? how did you get the snare sound for xxx’s new record!?” Lol
Okay... unfortunately I couldn't find the leaves-only sample. I did, however, find several examples of that sound combined with a thump which I believe was made by dropping a 50 lb bag of rice on a hardwood floor with joists underneath (joists vs slab makes all the difference). I've attached a couple of those.

And I also found, on the site of a long-ago employer, a radio spot in which one of those thump/leaves samples is combined with a big stapler to make a "stamp of approval." Go here: Radio Commercials produced in Hollywood and Los Angeles and then scroll down and click on the Las Vegas sign.
Attached Files

Leaf_thud_1.wav (69.6 KB, 898 views)

Leaf_thud_2.wav (74.1 KB, 1046 views)

Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNeedle View Post
Is there even a software 160a? Its quite differnt from the vu model.
There is actually a 160x/xt/a plugin as part of the Yamaha Vintage Channel Strip it's called the 260. It adds a third knee setting and variable attack and release times(which can be set really fast!). I compared it in a non sientific way to my HW 160a and found it to be pretty close, it's a really nice compressor.
On the other hand you can make most clean sounding compressors with a variable knee sound like a 160a, set attack to 15ms, release to 120ms and the knee to soft...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmus View Post
There is actually a 160x/xt/a plugin as part of the Yamaha Vintage Channel Strip it's called the 260. It adds a third knee setting and variable attack and release times(which can be set really fast!). I compared it in a non sientific way to my HW 160a and found it to be pretty close, it's a really nice compressor.
On the other hand you can make most clean sounding compressors with a variable knee sound like a 160a, set attack to 15ms, release to 120ms and the knee to soft...
I found this software 165 too, i have not tried it.
C165a – VCA compressor with saturating limiter – Punch, sustain, drive | www.sknoteaudio.com
Old 16th January 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNeedle View Post
Oh i'd love to try a SW 165, i've read so many times that the peak limiter in it is key for Tame Impalas drum sound...
sadly i had some underwhelming experiences with that very company
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Good. I assumed we wouldn't lump the 'a x and xt in with the earlier 160.
'XT here ..but I indeed guilty to not make the effort to be specific.

I have original 166's as well and one of the older 166xl's, not seeing use anymore.
(I remember those being 'poo poo'd by the pro guys back when. :>)
I have a 166xl I can’t seem to give away
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Okay... unfortunately I couldn't find the leaves-only sample. I did, however, find several examples of that sound combined with a thump which I believe was made by dropping a 50 lb bag of rice on a hardwood floor with joists underneath (joists vs slab makes all the difference). I've attached a couple of those.

And I also found, on the site of a long-ago employer, a radio spot in which one of those thump/leaves samples is combined with a big stapler to make a "stamp of approval." Go here: Radio Commercials produced in Hollywood and Los Angeles and then scroll down and click on the Las Vegas sign.

What a coincidence...I actually have this same sample somewhere in my library! I admit I've never used it in a real production however. Maybe it's time. :0)
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
What a coincidence...I actually have this same sample somewhere in my library! I admit I've never used it in a real production however. Maybe it's time. :0)
And all this time I thought the guy repeatedly dropping a bag of rice in his living room was me. :-)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
And all this time I thought the guy repeatedly dropping a bag of rice in his living room was me. :-)

HaHa. Is that rice? Cool sound design. Guess my sample is a second rate clone. I sure have a sample that sounds extremely similar though. I got it from a Reason sample pack. Anyway, thanks for sharing!

P.S. to keep this on topic, I bet it would sound terrific smashed to bits with a 160 and tucked under a snare drum. Heh!
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
HaHa. Is that rice? Cool sound design. I sure have a sample that sounds extremely similar. I got it from a Reason sample pack. Anyway, thanks for sharing!
Who knows -- lots of that stuff in LA has a way of finding its way around. I know I have a bunch of good stuff I got outta the trunk of car, so to speak.

There was a guy I worked with, and I loaned him a DAT I made of my home doorbell. Now it's 20 years later, and that doorbell has been in a ton of of TV shows. We had a little dog who lived 17 years and never figured out why she'd dash off to the door and there was never anyone there.

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 16th January 2018 at 04:05 PM..
Old 18th January 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I was listening to MJ Billy Jean the other day and thought of this thread, that kik screams 160vu.
📝 Reply