The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cleaning Windscreens, Pop Filters, and brushing your teef
Old 21st October 2002
Lives for gear

Cleaning Windscreens, Pop Filters, and brushing your teef

One of my favorite mic's for scratch vocals (which end up being keepers a lot) is the good ol SM7. Problem is, some of the artists are, well, let's just say they don't own toothbrushes.

Today I was mic checking my 7, and I'll be gotdamn if I didn't almost yack from the stank all over the windscreen. I didn't have any back ups, so I ran it through the facet, sprayed some "Fabreaze" on it, rinsed it again, and set it out to dry. The stench was gone. Problem was, the singer showed up. So, in my infinate wisdom, I tracked down a blowdryer and proceded to "blow dry" the windscreen. Seemed like a good idea since I didn't want to get my diaphram all humid and whatnots. Anyhoo, whist blowdrying my 'clown nose', it got a little 'overdone" and dryed out , and began to tear slightly.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is: DO YOU HAVE A TECHNIQUE FOR CLEANING windscreen? I supposed the same question could be posed at popfilters.
Old 21st October 2002
Gear Addict

ahh,you had a burger for lunch?

Hi,

Been there. Smells like ****. Could almost tell what that person
had for lunch.

My solution:
Put it under pouring hot water for a minute or two, after that
rub some soap onto both sides and finally wash away
the soap.

good luck
/jens
Old 21st October 2002
Gear Addict

I do the same as Jens. For drying, I put the screen in a wad of paper towels and stand on it to get it dry faster. I don't think this will work with the SM7 screen cuz you might break the plastic ring at the bottom. I guess it's air dry only?

Solution 2: Have one of those elementary school films on basic oral hygene for the unwashed musicians.

Hmmm... unwashed musician... isn't that redundant?

- jon
Old 21st October 2002
Lives for gear

I usually remove the windscreens when possible, and spray them with Lysol...let em sit for 24 hours or so before reassembling...not to sound like a commercial here, but the disinfecting qualities alone make it worth the effort, and any trace of the cleaning smell is usually gone within the day's 'drying out' period...

Agreed...a close encounter of the toothbrush kind is sometimes a friendly suggestion...
Old 21st October 2002
Lives for gear

Yeah, I was gonna use lysol, but was afraid it might disintegrate the clown-nose material.
Old 21st October 2002
Lives for gear

filter cleaning

#1 lose the foam crap, buy a Stedman metal pop filter. Its sturdy enough to stand up to a dishwasher or firehose. And it sounds much nicer than pantyhose.

steve
Old 22nd October 2002
Lives for gear

On an SM7???

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search