The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Protools HD Threshold for Both RTAS and TDM Plugs
Old 16th April 2007
Lives for gear

Protools HD Threshold for Both RTAS and TDM Plugs

At what point can a guy just have the advantages of lesser expensive RTAS plugs along with some TDM plugs with an HD system? I would like ADC, Zero Latency Recording, and RTAS until the cows come home. I don't want to have to pay double on HD Plugs when there are RTAS equivalent plugs

Considering I don't have a commercial studio, I can't see buying and HD system and all HD Plugs, that's a double whammy, when my MacPro has more power than any HD system I can put in my MacPro.

Curious, what is the threshold where you can have TDM Plugs and RTAS Plugs at the same time, while tracking, with Full ADC, and Zero Latency? Obviously it is not an HD1 Accel (see thread below taken from over at the DUC). Is it and HD2 Accel or do you need an HD3 Accel?

“From DUC: Chuck, I just moved from PTLE to a HD1 accel sys.
I thought that I would have had all the power of my macpro plus the power of the DSP in the core card.
But when I opened my LE sessions in the HD sys I ve had a surprise.
Right, you can still use the rtas on every channels like native systems but when using rtas on aux and master channels the sys eats two voices per mono channel and if you assign only one chip to the voicing allocation you will have only 48 tracks and by doing in this way these 48 tracks could quickly become less than the 32 tracks that I had on the LE. Plus, you will have the latency issue more than 2xHW buffer setting because of the streaming tdm/cpu/tdm. Therefore you can easily incur in more than 500 sample of latency on these aux channel, assuming the you are working with a HW buffer set to 256 samples. You can use ADC but it eats more dsp resources. Therefore you must use tdm plugs on these kind of tracks but the power of the old motorola DSP is ridicolous compared to the power of the CPUs that you find on new computers. I had a session on my LE sys with four TL Space instances, with the HD1 I have had to replace these beautiful rev with Revibes because my one card system based was unable to open them in tdm format. Yesterday I ve tried to check how many instances of TL Space my system is able to open in rtas format. They have been 20, but unfortunately in rtas they are unseful unless you use them on individual tracks. Take in mind that my core card is accel because is PCIe, I don t know which mac you have but if you have a PCI mac you have to install a no accel core with more limitation. “
Old 5th May 2007
Lives for gear

Intereresting....that is not what I wanted to hear being that I'm looking to move from 002 to an HD rig & was hoping I could flail away with RTAS Plugs and the Mac Pro. Do you have a link to the whole thread?
Thanks.
Old 5th May 2007
Gear Addict

I thought exactly the same thing .... use my rtas plugins from mcdsp on my HD1 rig.
the two voice per channel for RTAS is a killer for me also . Currently I am only using RTAS on Reverbs Aux ( Revolver ) and AC2 ( Master Buss) . Hope this helps a bit.
Old 5th May 2007
Gear Addict

I know that this answer will suck.... but get another HD card. I'm running HD2 and a Mac g5 quad 2.5, and I have no problems with my aux busses using plenty of rtas and tdm plugs.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search