The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Charter Oak don't return gear sent in for service Condenser Microphones
Old 27th December 2017
Gear Addict

This is how I see it. Broken unit, can't fix it because they can't get the parts. Can't replace it because they have orders for all the units they are currently manufacturing.

Why else would he have to "buy" one to replace the broken one?

And maybe at some point before a year had passed, either the OP or the owner should have mentioned just giving the OP a refund.

This is very bad customer service. And I definitely don't work for a competitor. But I did work retail for many years.
Old 29th December 2017
I had just put a CO product on my shortlist last week ... needless to say it is now removed.

I live in Ireland so every manufacturer is in a different country so I have take some risks sometimes and forums like GS are very useful.
Old 29th December 2017
Lives for gear

Definitely not buying anything from this company. Even putting aside the completely inexcusable situation which prompted this thread, the response should have been two sentences long: "I sincerely apologize; we ****ed up. Your refund/replacement unit has just shipped."
Old 29th December 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimS View Post
Definitely not buying anything from this company. Even putting aside the completely inexcusable situation which prompted this thread, the response should have been two sentences long: "I sincerely apologize; we ****ed up. Your refund/replacement unit has just shipped."
I'm thinking this company (or the owner for that matter) doesn't have the financial ability to satisfy the complaint...tlindaas asked for a refund 3 days ago....Actually, that's the last post he's posted now that I'm looking....Hmmm....moon
Old 29th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlindaas View Post
What are realistic (meaning cost-effective) options, given a dispute such as this, when seller and buyer are in different countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamad View Post
I live in Ireland so every manufacturer is in a different country so I have take some risks sometimes and forums like GS are very useful.
That's the rub right there - it's difficult if not impossible to get satisfaction sometimes when the company is in a different country. Or at least not satisfaction that doesn't exceed the financial cost of the item, and frustratingly enough you have to sometimes just walk away. It's always made me think twice about ordering from foreign companies, which shouldn't be the case and I do maintain a short list of foreign companies (to me) that I can trust. Both Buzz Audio and Elysia are amazing companies and any question or problem I've had, I've always gotten a response in under 24 hours and to be honest, those are the only two foreign companies I've come to trust to not leave me high and dry.

I had a similar horror story with Elektron and it really soured me on giving chances to smaller foreign companies. I was an original buyer of a SidStation. After a few years a pot got wonky on it - you know the deal - spin it one way and values go the other or jump all over the place. Anyway, it's long out of warranty so I email Elektron and ask them if they can give me a part number so I can bring it to a local tech to replace the pot because I don't want to ship it back to Sweden for just a pot.

I get a reply and the half from them, filled with the usual BS - the pot is special, they're the only ones who have it, they're the only ones who can replace it, no one else can work on the SidStation, etc. So I send it back to them (at my expense) and then they end up keeping it for the better part of a year. Every time I contact them, they have some new excuse. It's a Swedish national holiday, no one's going to be into work for a month, the pots are backordered, their tech guy went on holiday with his family, etc.

Eventually after pestering them for a year they finally repair the SidStation and send it back - all at my expense. Remember, this was an out of warranty repair so I paid for the repair AND the return shipping.

Anyway, the SidStation returns in even worse shape then it went out. It was now suffering from some horrible ground fault and any time you plug a midi cable AND a patch cable in, the unit goes nuts...makes crazy sounds, the LCD screen flickers on and off, goes blank, etc. Just plug one cable in, and it's fine. Both, and it goes nuts.

So I contact Elektron and they tell me it sounds like a ground fault. They'll repair it, but I need to send it back to them again, AT MY EXPENSE.

What can I really do at that point? I now have a busted SidStation and no real legal recourse. I can't trust Elektron to not break it even more. So I just throw my hands up and walk away.

The only thing I can do is put Elektron on my short list of people never to buy from and let others know the same. I make a living as a keyboardist and lots of people ask my opinion on sessions or when they're at my studio or on gigs about what stuff I like, and especially the younger kids ask about Elektron and I've always pushed people away from Elektron, for their own sake by telling them my story and that the problem isn't if it breaks while you can still return it to the store, the problem is when it breaks OUT of warranty and Elektron tells you that you have to return it to them only. And that they've proven they're incapable of repairing their own machines and they can't be trusted to make a competent repair in a timely manner.

What some of these companies don't take into account is that by burning a customer, not only are you losing that customer but you'll have that customer pushing people away from their products for years and the lost sales accumulate. Over the years I've had plenty of people come to me and ask about Elektron, and I've always told them my story as experience and given my strongest opinion that they can't be trusted. And I still know a lot of these people and know none of them have gone on to buy Elektron gear so in a sense, you make a few dollars off a fraudulent repair, but you lose a good number of sales as a result.

But yeah, I've been there and it's frustrating - the internet makes it easier and easier to do business across continents but it's not any less easier trying to get problems resolved when they do happen.
Old 14th January 2018
Gear Nut

So it's after the Holidays, did he make good on his latest promise?
Old 14th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Bender_ View Post
So it's after the Holidays, did he make good on his latest promise?
It's in production, with deadline February 15. I think it's finally happening :-)
Old 14th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Too long didn’t read.
So why the f*** couldn’t they just send you a new unit and avoid all this crap?
Old 14th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalog View Post
So why the f*** couldn’t they just send you a new unit and avoid all this crap?
Because they seems to be only a he...
Old 14th January 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlindaas View Post
It's in production, with deadline February 15. I think it's finally happening :-)
"I'm sure Lucy won't yank the football away this time" said Charlie Brown
Old 14th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul brown View Post
Because they seems to be only a he...
If its only a "he" it should not be too hard to pick up the phone and call one of his two distributors that have 3 brand new units for sale on Reverb and have them ship one to this very patient customer and put this whole mess to bed.

Or he could have bought the brand new one that sold on ebay yesterday for $1575 from a Authorized Dealer ( up there since Sept 09th) and sent it to him or simply have given him his $$ back.

If cash flow is the problem say so , people can understand that and will respect the honesty.
To come on here and lay blame on a community that looks out for one another and in some paranoid delusion brand anyone that dare to have an opinion on the matter an agent of your competition does more to damage the brand than anything the OP so rightly said.
Old 18th January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post
Sounds just a slight bit worse than the experience I had with a company whose name rhymes with shmees peas. At least I ended up with something that fit the description of what I ordered, after over a year of *repeatedly* nagging to receive a working mic that was the spec of what I paid for... after first receiving something with the wrong mic capsule, that was wobbly inside. And the manufacturer basically going "yep, that is how it should be".
I can quite understand how a mic. would be designed to have a "wobbly capsule" if it was internally shockmounted.
Old 18th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12strings2hands View Post
"I'm sure Lucy won't yank the football away this time" said Charlie Brown
Yeah, be interesting to see if he finally steps up and replaces the unit. But after two years wait, the problem is long beyond just bad gear. Unfortunately, there is no way to solve the core issue. Horse is out and run away. Closing the barn door now is too little, too late.
Old 19th January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Inaccuracy and paranoia are getting a bad name, here... sometimes, they're just the ticket.
Well, they've made a dramatic comeback lately. There was bound to be a backlash.
Old 19th January 2018
Lives for gear
Whatever BS excuses people are making for this, there is NO EXCUSE to take someone's property under the premise of being able to service it, then turning around and STEALING it.

My question for the OP is this......you have the paper trail, the emails, ect. ect.

This is now a criminal matter, don't waste your time on GS take all your documentation to the police, if you can prove everything you say and it appears you can, then this is theft over $1000, it's a felony, stop messing around,
Old 19th January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post
That’s what I thought at very first but it wasn’t the case. It was literally wobbling around, not attached to the base correctly. It also came with half a k67 as opposed to the brass ck12 it was specced with. I was gaslighted on that for a long time on multiple levels.
Shocked about that - all the mic. companies I know of are very good at customer service.

I think Beesneez had a bit of a wobble while their daughter was dying - but that was understandable and totally forgivable.
Old 19th January 2018
Lives for gear

Last edited by mics; 1st March 2018 at 05:12 AM..
Old 20th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by mics View Post
Thanks John. I appreciate that you are of a forgiving nature.

After repeated attempts to please george, first we fixed the mic and then since we have tried to make it up to him by offering free gear etc. but all to no avail!

He'd rather just talk negatively about us and try to make us look bad.

Every time i post, he follows as i am sure he will now too. I would though like to see him happy one day and not feel the need to constantly try to ruin our reputation.

Over the years, we have managed to please almost 20,000 individual customers many of whom own multiple mics. Our return / repair rate is less than 5 mics per year!

We try hard to make everyone satisfied but sometimes no matter what we do it isnt enough!

(George, offer still stands, let me know what we can do to help the bad taste leave your mouth)!

Thanks for your continued support all!
Ben,
I have the highest respect for you and your company. When I need a other microphone, yours will be on the top of my list. I know your microphones are made with high quality and you provide great customer service.

Best to you and your family.
Old 20th January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mics View Post
Thanks John. I appreciate that you are of a forgiving nature.

Over the years, we have managed to please almost 20,000 individual customers many of whom own multiple mics. Our return / repair rate is less than 5 mics per year!

We try hard to make everyone satisfied but sometimes no matter what we do it isnt enough!
Everything I have ever heard about your company and every post you and your wife have written, I can see that you put good customer service at the very top (as do I in my own business).

And <5 returns per year is superb for a manufacturer shipping internationally.
Old 4th February 2018
Gear Head

just wanted to say tlindaas, you are def NOT alone in your situation and your OP is pretty much a word for word carbon copy of my experience. and for the record, im not a competitor, MD knows exactly who i am and what im waiting on and for how long. only difference is im waiting on a "freebie" he promised for taking so long to repair/replace a mic sent in. ive honestly given up and tried for the longest time not to say anything bad on the forums (and im not making up anything or bashing him now) giving him the benefit of the doubt that he would make good on his promise. still waiting.... if i go back to the first email correspondence on this it would start 5/2015 and last was 10/2017. ....
Old 4th February 2018
OP I hope you get your unit, along with extra unit and a crate of champagne for your troubles. And honestly, I don't even think that would make up for the opportunity cost you've endured (2 YEARS??!!) What a sh*t show. My sympathies.
Old 10th February 2018
Here for the gear

Had to send in my Charter Oak tube mic in for repair in 2015. Mr Demming, aka CT Yankee, told me to ship it and promised a three week turnaround. Well, it took 4 months for me to get it back, and that's after hounding him and applying major pressure for him to act. The excuses in 2015 were identical to those mentioned here: changes in manufacturing, just came out of the hospital, and so on. I sympathize with you Tlindaas, and my advice to you is if you ever get your unit back, or a replacement, sell it right away and steer clear of that company from here on.
Old 10th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Yankee View Post
I have apologized to the customer directly and been in touch with him directly. This forum is not the venue for that. it's just too impersonal.

I have made sure that he understands that I have reopened the case and will take care of him even if I have to personally buy him a unit, which in some cases is necessary.

My company is not looking for sympathy here. Ultimately I am much more concerned with taking care of any customer, including Torstien, that has a problem, any kind of problem large or small, MUCH more than I am concerned with the opinions of anyone on this forum. Chances are from what we have seen here, are that anyone taking the time to chime in and pile on, are most likely affiliated in some way with a competing company anyway.
“That thumbs up was a big mistake. Hit it by accident “

After 2 years I think posting his situation on a forum is the least of your worries. As a business owner, I would be hanging my head in shame had I did my customer this way. 3rd on my list was 2 of your eq’s. They have been scratched off my list. At the very least, “I am so sorry and will be sending out a new unit AND refunding you for the purchase”, would have been my response to the op. I think you would not have lost several potential customers had you did that.
Old 8th April 2018
Gear Nut

What became of this? Hopefully positive results. Are they still in business? I notice their home web page and Facebook book site haven’t been updated in months. I do think they make excellent products having owned the SLC-1 and PEQ-1.
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Nut

Not one reply. Not a good sign.
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcap8465 View Post
I don't think you can conclude anything from it. CO may have made a generous offer and doesn't want it spread around. Or maybe OP got it back and is recording so much he doesn't have time to post. Or maybe it was sent and is being held up in Norwegian customs. Or maybe he's just sick of the situation and doesn't want to talk about it. Give it time.
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Nut

Place your bets folks... I'd put GOOD MONEY on the line that nothings changed..... after such negative exposure for a company it'd be crazy for both parties involved to NOT give us an update if it was indeed remedied.
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcap8465 View Post
A few possible scenarios...

Charter oaks was shamed by this thread into solving the OP's troubles. OP doesn't want to come back and say all is OK, because he's still pissed about it taking a few years to solve a simple issue. But he also doesn't want to further dis CO, because his issue is solved.

Or CO has promised a nice level of satisfaction, and OP doesn't want to rock the boat, just in case it's a true and honest offer to solve.

Or still no satisfaction, and OP is sick of the whole thing. But I suspect he'd be here spreading the word if that was the case.
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Nut

I had nothing but positive experiences with Michael Demming owner of CO. So I was very surprised and disappointed by everything in this thread. I just felt awful for the poor fellow customer. I completely understand he might be busy or doesn’t want to rock the boat. My hope is CO has taken proper measures to avoid such situations from ever taking place again.

Last edited by madcap8465; 11th April 2018 at 03:45 AM.. Reason: Wording
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search