The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Warm Audio WA-73 + WA-273EQ !! Single-Channel Preamps
Old 21st December 2017
Warm Audio WA-73 + WA-273EQ !!

S*** just got real. Real affordable.

From their FB page:
Introducing the WA73 Family by Warm Audio.
• 1073-style British Microphone Preamps
• UK made Carnhill Transformers
• Hand wired, hand assembled
• Fully discrete
• TONE button - Changes input transformer impedance for varying tone
• Polarity switch
• 48v phantom power
• XLR mic input
• Line level TRS input
• TS Send/Receive insert jacks
• XLR & TRS line level outputs
• Direct In, instrument input
• Output control
• 19" rackable
• Ground lift switch
• Internal IEC 115v/230v power inlet

Coming soon! End of January 2018!
Attached Thumbnails
Warm Audio WA-73 + WA-273EQ !!-25488214_1612729122147716_2481223497031192698_o.jpg  

Last edited by ali3la3la; 21st December 2017 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: Wrong model number
Old 21st December 2017
Here for the gear
My wife is starting to hate these guys
Old 21st December 2017
Gear Maniac

Damn!

Damn! Right when I think my gear lust is in check...this comes out. I have a BAE 1073 that I"m pretty pleased with. But damn if reviews come back praising these I may have to make the push for the dual channel with EQ!
Old 21st December 2017
Lives for gear

A little cheaper than the new Heritage Audio Elite line, can't wait to hear them!
Old 21st December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
A little cheaper than the new Heritage Audio Elite line, can't wait to hear them!
Didnt know they released this, gonna check it out. Any feedback on how it sounds?

Ive got a pair of Heritage DMA73 and cant live without them.. but yea fingers crossed the Stereo EQ sounds good, im gonna have to cop that. Looks slick too.

Ive got the WA-76 already, have had good times and not so good with them, so im still on the fence with Warm Audio, however the price point is veryyyyy good.
Old 21st December 2017
We're not in Kansas any more. I'm drooling for that WA273. I had been saving for a 1073ish 2 channel pre, and was planning to spend a little more than this. Since I was going to take the plunge anyway, this may save me a few bucks and still scratch the itch. I will certainly watch for the release and reviews. Christmas in January. Gaw-lee Sargent Carter!
Old 21st December 2017
Lives for gear

Seems like it's tooth and nail Warm vs. Stam lately.
Old 21st December 2017
Gear Maniac

Bad timing for Heritage and their elite series. Perfect time for me as I was looking to get a '73 pre. Excited to hear them side by side. Love Warm Audio but got a sneeaaky feeling the Elite might edge them in this cause of their history modelling the Neve.
Old 21st December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Warmth View Post
Bad timing for Heritage and their elite series. Perfect time for me as I was looking to get a '73 pre. Excited to hear them side by side. Love Warm Audio but got a sneeaaky feeling the Elite might edge them in this cause of their history modelling the Neve.

Dont be so elitist
Old 21st December 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoopysnorp View Post
Seems like it's tooth and nail Warm vs. Stam lately.
Bought a couple of things from stam in the past, will check warm out instead.

Last edited by Vivian Jackson; 22nd December 2017 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: ...
Old 21st December 2017
Gear Maniac

Running drum busses through the WA273-EQ could be real sweet.
Old 22nd December 2017
Gear Maniac

More info/shots of the innards Nova Distribution >> NEW FOR 2018 – WARM AUDIO ANNOUNCE “BRITISH 1073 STYLE” SIGNAL PROCESSORS

Looks very nice inside. Carnhill transformers are custom built too to replicate the sound of vintage models.

Last edited by The Warmth; 22nd December 2017 at 06:35 PM..
Old 22nd December 2017
Lives for gear

holy sh!t
last week a sales guy told me that these we're about to be released.
i didn't believe him, thought he was crazy.
Old 22nd December 2017
Lives for gear

Anyone know the prices?
Old 22nd December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
Anyone know the prices?
they are shown (somewhat) in the first image of this thread

Last edited by cyjanopan; 22nd December 2017 at 08:57 PM..
Old 22nd December 2017
Lives for gear

Ooo boy, very nice array and price points!

Hi-pass filter and LED metering are welcome features the similarly-priced Stam Audio units do not have. I have no problem saying though the Stam dual-1073 unit I have is VERY good, and not going anywhere. Amazing value, and the optional Sowter transformer option gives it a subtly more vintage'y behavior, where I'd say the Carnhills are perhaps more refined. I kept both the two-channel (Sowter) Stam 1073 as well as a pair of (Carnhill) SCA N72's and consider my Neve itch fully scratched for the time being for an amazing bargain/value.

These Warm units with EQ will be undercutting the stock (non-Carnhill) Chameleon Labs 7603 by about a $100, but the Warm adds Carnhill transformers, very nice. The Carnhill version of the 7603 is closer to $1200.

Curious to hear more about these custom Carnhill transformers.
Old 22nd December 2017
Seems like a real deal

Old 22nd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyjanopan View Post
they are shown (somewhat) in the first image of this thread
Ahh yes! They need to write it big to show the low low price!!1!!
Old 22nd December 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyjanopan View Post
Seems like a real deal

Well it's not quite like the "work of art" hand made wiremanship of the inside of my BAE 1073 pre/EQ .... that I admit to opening and sitting in front of for twenty minutes admiring the craftsmanship when I first bought it

But it does look very well made, neat and professional, well done Warm Audio.

Now I wonder how it comes to BAE/ Herritage/AMS/Neve soundwise?

I'm definitely interested in these units.

That WA273 looks really great.
Old 22nd December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
Well it's not quite like the "work of art" hand made wiremanship of the inside of my BAE 1073 pre/EQ .... that I admit to opening and sitting in front of for twenty minutes admiring the craftsmanship when I first bought it

But it does look very well made, neat and professional, well done Warm Audio.

Now I wonder how it comes to BAE/ Herritage/AMS/Neve soundwise?

I'm definitely interested in these units.

That WA273 looks really great.
Sure, but for the price it's amazing, and it's still much better (in terms of being actually hand made) than Neve 1073DPX for example which is more than twice as expensive

Last edited by cyjanopan; 23rd December 2017 at 08:04 AM..
Old 22nd December 2017
Lives for gear
Yes I agree - for the price the WA273 does look amazing. Although I do remember from my own dabbling with electronics that the single PCB layout of the Neve 1073DPX is a more sophisticated professional design and probably more reliable than 8 or so little PCB boards in the WA design - but that doesn't need to be an issue sound wise and again for the price it's a reasonable compromise.

I think WA have raised their own bar compared to the build of the WA76.

That said their general price bracket has raised up a bit from bargain bucket (when the WA76 costed £499 in the UK)
to them having several units now well over £1000 and some near £1000.

So although these units are definitely great value for money - they are beyond impulse purchases for me and will take a bit of saving up for.
Old 22nd December 2017
Lives for gear

Looks like Carnhill txformers In and Out, is that right?
Old 22nd December 2017
Lives for gear

Wasn't expecting that from Warm. Looks very good for the price.
Old 23rd December 2017
Old 23rd December 2017
Gear Nut
I WILL have the WA73-EQ. Jeez. I knew this HAD to happen soon. What a time to be alive.
Old 23rd December 2017
Lives for gear

These have internal PSU’s.
I’m wondering if this will make this pre any noisier than the others. Other manufacturers went with external PSU’s to keep the noise down at this price point. Warm themselves used external PSU’s on their TB12 and WA12?
Old 23rd December 2017
Attached Thumbnails
Warm Audio WA-73 + WA-273EQ !!-cf4b74147dd70e5b5d5416b3e176be59347550eef90d67c80e0899e30999beb1.jpg  
Old 23rd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
These have internal PSU’s.
I’m wondering if this will make this pre any noisier than the others. Other manufacturers went with external PSU’s to keep the noise down at this price point. Warm themselves used external PSU’s on their TB12 and WA12?
Seems a valid concern..
I wondered this myself as the 1073 is not the quietest of circuits.
Also, if they did get it quiet (in the proper configuration / design) is it the right circuit layout?
I've had real Neves and still have a lot of BAE pres, so I'm not guessing here.
Old 23rd December 2017
songwriter/ post sound

From rad distribution regarding another new 1073 clone:
"Our more than 7 years of experience with this circuit have lead us to several all important design choices including the use of 3 distinct period correct “Vinkor” style inductors as opposed to the commonly used single ferrite inductor. The benefits of this design include it being the only way to insure the correct hi-mid frequency curves as well as minimizing phase distortion and providing far less harsh highs"

Does the wa273eq have single ferrite inductors? I'm gonna be picking up a pair of either the warm or another "clone" carried by rad and really wanna be able to use the eq for tracking and mixing for its vibe. I'm curious if the warm stuff is gonna be more on the clean sterile side of things in the EQ section.
warm having more hf bands is sweet but I'm looking for tone and vibe here... Can rad chime in on this with any info?
Thanks!

Last edited by JAY D; 23rd December 2017 at 10:29 PM.. Reason: keeping the warm post about warm
Old 24th December 2017
Every time I think I'm good on what I currently have, Warm announces new products that make me rethink my entire set-up lol. I might have to grab this just to have it on deck lol
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search