The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Warm Audio WA-73 + WA-273EQ !! Single-Channel Preamps
Old 27th April 2018
Here for the gear

Cool video comparing the Warm Audio vs the Heritage Audio

YouTube
Old 27th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopon View Post
Cool video comparing the Warm Audio vs the Heritage Audio

YouTube
Dude thinks they sound the same. Not my experience.
Old 28th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentA View Post
Dude thinks they sound the same. Not my experience.
I agree. They sound very different. This is especially clear if you have any degree of breakup.
Old 28th April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentA View Post
The difference with the Studer plugin is that if I or the client don’t like it, I can remove it. When I record something with the Warm, I’ve painted myself into a corner. That sound is on there forever. I think that sound would be useful for some songs, but also a liability for others.

I’m not sure why you want me to like the Warm so much. If you are happy with it, keep using it. You shouldn’t need validation from some random idiot like me to feel good about your purchase.
Isn't it better to route tracks through the Warm in the final mixing process instead of using it while tracking?
Old 28th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by callix View Post
Isn't it better to route tracks through the Warm in the final mixing process instead of using it while tracking?

It’s a preamp.
Old 29th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by callix View Post
A preamp that has a mic amp and a line amp. Some find tracking everything through a Neve can be a bit heavy while others love it. In the 70s a lot of folk tracked on a Neve console and mixed on an API. If you track with other preamps you can certainly use the line amp on a Neve to add a bit of Neve flavour to a mix but it won't be a lot as IMO the line amp is cleaner than the mic amp.
Old 29th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boom View Post
Every bass player who has come through my doors since getting the Wa-73eq’s has left with a big sh*t-eating grin on their faces and talking about getting one for their live rigs. Unbelievable value at 800 US.
Mister Bewm!! (I'm just playin, I like that name!)

I concur with this...I tracked a bass line with a cheap Ibanez bass with stock pickups and it wasn't completely terrible, but it for sure was muddy and needed some help. I wanted to get some clarity, which gave the appearance of volume. Bottom line is the WA73EQ was GREAT! I played and played with various EQ and channel strip plugs, but none of them could give me what I wanted. I love the Waves Scheps 73 and I tried the Waves SSL channel strip as well as some other stuff. I don't own UA plugs so I cannot comment on those.

I ran it through the Warm, engaged the HPF and boosted/cut here and there and instantly it tucked and shaped and tooled the sound exactly where I wanted it. Had beautiful sub type low end and at the same time polished the sound cleaning out the mud...I am really liking this unit. Obviously like anything, it will not be perfect for EVERYTHING, but so far for me it has been really cool!
Old 29th April 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanesbg View Post
Mister Bewm!! (I'm just playin, I like that name!)

I concur with this...I tracked a bass line with a cheap Ibanez bass with stock pickups and it wasn't completely terrible, but it for sure was muddy and needed some help. I wanted to get some clarity, which gave the appearance of volume. Bottom line is the WA73EQ was GREAT! I played and played with various EQ and channel strip plugs, but none of them could give me what I wanted. I love the Waves Scheps 73 and I tried the Waves SSL channel strip as well as some other stuff. I don't own UA plugs so I cannot comment on those.

I ran it through the Warm, engaged the HPF and boosted/cut here and there and instantly it tucked and shaped and tooled the sound exactly where I wanted it. Had beautiful sub type low end and at the same time polished the sound cleaning out the mud...I am really liking this unit. Obviously like anything, it will not be perfect for EVERYTHING, but so far for me it has been really cool!
Shane's Borg!

I have a cheap Ibanez bass that I paid $80 for and I can always tell how good a bassist is by how they make it sound - the great ones make it sing and everyone else struggles with it. It's all in the fingertips!

But yeah, I've taken most of the bass tracks in progress before I got the Warm and run them back through. In every case it's a big improvement. It's killing it on most of the vocal tracks as well. Maybe it is a really slow preamp, but the sound I'm getting is the one I ultimately want, so it's saving me a lot of time.

So pleased.
Old 29th April 2018
Lives for gear
Inserts

Got around to setting up the inserts on my patchbay

Pretty straight forward 2 pairs of m>m ts: from send/receive to patchbay

I liked the idea of not just tracking with the pre into the eq but also using just the eq during mix down, either on individual channels or stereo pairs or 2 bus.

The inserts are post eq and you can grab the signal from the outs on my patchbay and back to logic I/o plug in insert

If you turn off eq you can hear the pre eq signal from your daw, push in eq, the post eq sound ,so easy to a/b

If you want to re-amp ,can do that too, come in line and get the pre and eq on the signal.

Was looping a logic drum track just playing with settings, certainly a nice compliment to the Delta and Electra eqs I have

The extra wa eq settings come in handy, for tweaking and repeatability.
Old 30th April 2018
Here for the gear

Hi Guys!

I have a question on the Warm Audio WA-73 EQ....I'm not sure if the WA-73 is right for me or not......but I need an EQ.....in a single rackspace.

I'm a guitarist, and I "slave" my amps......I come out of the speaker output on the amp, into a load device, and then into my rack (Eventide/Lexicon/Mixer), and then out to power amp and speakers.

A wise source suggested to me today to get myself an MXR 10-band graphic EQ pedal, and send the line level signal from the load box to the 10-band EQ BEFORE going into the rack.

I have one rackspace still available, and I would rather have a unit in the rack, vs. a pedal.

Does the Warm Audio WA-73 EQ fit this bill??? I know that the EQ consists of knobs vs. sliders, and I am ok with that......

I am just not sure if I would ever use the mic preamp that is also in there.....

Thanks for the help!!!
Old 30th April 2018
Lives for gear

Not sure if it answers your question, precisely, but the 1073 EQ is one of my favorites for electric guitar and bass. So I'd say maybe YEAH.
Old 1st May 2018
Gear Maniac

I think it would be a good choice for that, actually. You can also use pedals in its insert loop, so you could add effects easily that way, too, if desired.
Old 1st May 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoepedals View Post
I think it would be a good choice for that, actually. You can also use pedals in its insert loop, so you could add effects easily that way, too, if desired.
Hi Shoepedals!

Ok, can you help me understand what you meant by using pedals in the insert loop?....what kind of pedals would apply here?

Thanks for the help......I'm new at this, and I don't know a lot about these mic-pre / EQ devices.

I don't think I will use the mic-pre part of this unit......perhaps I might.......the key for me is the EQ, and they don't make a stand-alone 1073 EQ.

Cheers!
Ian
Old 1st May 2018
Lives for gear

love to here my B173 up against the warm73
Old 1st May 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyman View Post
love to here my B173 up against the warm73
I really loved the b173, the most out of any clone, it did what I imagined the real neve does (rightly or wrongly), broke up smoothly if that makes any sense. Unfortunately mine seemed quite noisy and I read online a few people saying they had noise issues. But that aside I liked the sound of it more than the warm. The warm will probably cut through and sound more modern, but I did not like the way it distorted and it was nowhere near as Big sounding as the b173.
Old 1st May 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian1eh View Post
Hi Shoepedals!

Ok, can you help me understand what you meant by using pedals in the insert loop?....what kind of pedals would apply here?

Thanks for the help......I'm new at this, and I don't know a lot about these mic-pre / EQ devices.

I don't think I will use the mic-pre part of this unit......perhaps I might.......the key for me is the EQ, and they don't make a stand-alone 1073 EQ.

Cheers!
Ian
Sure! The WA73EQ has an effects loop, basically. So there are send and return jacks on the back that can be connected to a pedalboard or other outboard gear and you can send a signal out of the preamp into the effects and then back in. I believe this is located in the circuit after the EQ.

So for example, if you wanted to apply a reverb, delay, compressor, or other eq unit, you could do it that way.

I have been using it, for example, to apply tape echo to microphone signals, but it would work similarly to an amp effects loop in your case.
Old 1st May 2018
Lives for gear
post pre

the insert is post pre but before the eq, so your signal goes through the wa pre, out to your effects and then back through the wa eq and output.
Old 1st May 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoepedals View Post
Sure! The WA73EQ has an effects loop, basically. So there are send and return jacks on the back that can be connected to a pedalboard or other outboard gear and you can send a signal out of the preamp into the effects and then back in. I believe this is located in the circuit after the EQ.

So for example, if you wanted to apply a reverb, delay, compressor, or other eq unit, you could do it that way.

I have been using it, for example, to apply tape echo to microphone signals, but it would work similarly to an amp effects loop in your case.
WOW! Now that is very cool!

For me, I'm really needing the EQ to "tweak" the balanced DI tone from my loaded-down amp head, more than the mic-pre or insert functions.

However, these would be cool to have available for future use.

Thanks for the help guys!
Ian
Old 1st May 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcatthedog View Post
the insert is post pre but before the eq, so your signal goes through the wa pre, out to your effects and then back through the wa eq and output.
Ah ok. That's even better.
Old 3rd May 2018
I'm really unsure about what to buy between the Dav electronics BG1 or the Warm Audio WA273. The Dav is half the price but I'm reading really good things about it. There's not much online for sound sources between the both of them!?

I mainly want it to record an acoustic guitar (stereo pair for singer songwriter)....
Does anyone have experience of both of these?

Many thanks
Old 3rd May 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Johnson View Post
I'm really unsure about what to buy between the Dav electronics BG1 or the Warm Audio WA273. The Dav is half the price but I'm reading really good things about it. There's not much online for sound sources between the both of them!?

I mainly want it to record an acoustic guitar (stereo pair for singer songwriter)....
Does anyone have experience of both of these?

Many thanks
Two very different pres at the opposite end of the spectrum. The Warm is a Neve clone which is known to bring rich harmonics and thickness and the BG1 is a clean pre without much coloration but very good and true to the source.

I would recommend checking out the Daking Mic Pre II. It's stellar on acoustic. Neve-style pres like the Warm can work on acoustics too but can also be a bit boxy sounding. The Daking is faster like the DAV, so you get a better transient response with the acoustic guitar but has a beautiful open and present color with a warm, pushed mid-range.

Similar price range.
Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear

I would also reach for something in-between for acoustic guitars. And probably the DAV before the NEVE, in general. API has been a good general go-to for me. I also really like the clean sound of the Tascam UH-7000. Which would be even cheaper than the DAV I believe. I have not tried a DAV, personally.
Old 4th May 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boom View Post
Shane's Borg!

I have a cheap Ibanez bass that I paid $80 for and I can always tell how good a bassist is by how they make it sound - the great ones make it sing and everyone else struggles with it. It's all in the fingertips!

But yeah, I've taken most of the bass tracks in progress before I got the Warm and run them back through. In every case it's a big improvement. It's killing it on most of the vocal tracks as well. Maybe it is a really slow preamp, but the sound I'm getting is the one I ultimately want, so it's saving me a lot of time.

So pleased.
Dude that's funny because I got mine on craigslist and he was asking $80! I actually put some EMG's in it and its so much better. I'm a singer/guitar player so with bass I cheat and use a pick ...the track I was talking about was pre EMG's, but yeah...the WA73EQ killed it. So many people have said bad things about this, but there have been a lot of good things too. I like it!
Old 5th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrizzi View Post
I really loved the b173, the most out of any clone, it did what I imagined the real neve does (rightly or wrongly), broke up smoothly if that makes any sense. Unfortunately mine seemed quite noisy and I read online a few people saying they had noise issues. But that aside I liked the sound of it more than the warm. The warm will probably cut through and sound more modern, but I did not like the way it distorted and it was nowhere near as Big sounding as the b173.
no kidding.Yea it does sound big .Not sure about the noise yet still new to me
Old 9th May 2018
Gear Head

I am looking at getting back into just some personal tracking again...mostly male vox and acoustic and electric guitars. In the past I ended up with a Peluso 2247 and a Great River pre as my first real vocal chain and then ended up going with a pair of BAE 1023's and loved the EQ on those things. Also had API 512's, a pair of original Joe Meek Bricks, some sytek pres etc...Don't ask me why I got rid of everything but was the easiest at the time of a baby and a move. So....I am wanting to dabble again and just found a used MXL V77 and wanted to pair it with mid range pre under $1000. I was leaning at going with the Great river again for it's versatility driven and clean but this Warm Audio pre with the EQ has me thinking twice. Anyone compare it to the GR and with the added EQ does it hold its own? Too colored for being versatile with a tube mic?
Old 10th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesandbox View Post
I am looking at getting back into just some personal tracking again...mostly male vox and acoustic and electric guitars. In the past I ended up with a Peluso 2247 and a Great River pre as my first real vocal chain and then ended up going with a pair of BAE 1023's and loved the EQ on those things. Also had API 512's, a pair of original Joe Meek Bricks, some sytek pres etc...Don't ask me why I got rid of everything but was the easiest at the time of a baby and a move. So....I am wanting to dabble again and just found a used MXL V77 and wanted to pair it with mid range pre under $1000. I was leaning at going with the Great river again for it's versatility driven and clean but this Warm Audio pre with the EQ has me thinking twice. Anyone compare it to the GR and with the added EQ does it hold its own? Too colored for being versatile with a tube mic?
Theres a link to a youtube video shootout about 10 pages back or so that got some discussion. It included the Warm, Great River, BAE, and... Vintech i think? On THAT particular video, on that day, with those mics, in that room, with that ambient air temperature, and that phase of the moon... i preferred the Great River. YMMV
Old 10th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanesbg View Post
I just watched this shootout...

YouTube
There it is, its a blind shootout so listen first, then read from that post through about pages 33 or so for the results and some discussion.
Old 10th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowzin View Post
There it is, its a blind shootout so listen first, then read from that post through about pages 33 or so for the results and some discussion.
I liked

Last edited by ROCKER STUDIOS; 15th May 2018 at 10:29 PM..
Old 10th May 2018
Lives for gear

Page 30, post #884 . Not that it's a perfect shootout or anything, but don't want to give it away for folks who may want to do it blind.

These were my personal thoughts from post #938 :

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowzin View Post
Agreed on that, but it was sorta real life, haha. And I'm confused on the methodology.

This is how I picked 'em blind, and felt strongly: B > D > C > A, with C being pretty close to D, but A a distant fourth.

After seeing the results, it wasn't what I was guessing and damn I gotta finally pick up a friggin' B. Probably coulda skipped a lot of pain along the way...

B sounded the most different.

I liked D a little better than C but it was close, honestly I could probably use them interchangeably, so good to know.

A was a hard pass for me, also good to know.

Edit: Re-post of the video in question: YouTube
Old 11th May 2018
Gear Head

Thanks for pointing to the responses on the shootout. I went ahead and picked up a GR again for $800. I was listening back to some of my past mixes where I used the GR and was very happy with it but.....if I can ever talk myself into getting a BAE 1023 back that thing with the extra EQ on top was bliss for tracking and a pair for mixdown but since this is just for some free time fun now I think the GR will do. Cheers.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search