The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Warm Audio WA-73 + WA-273EQ !! Single-Channel Preamps
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

My preferences were:
1) bae
2) great river
3) warm
4) vintech
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Interesting. With the demo clip on their site, they say, "The 1973-Pre characteristic tone, combined with the power of M/S processing, add strong character to this live drum track."

I guess. To me it seems like the "strong character" is actually "phase issues."
BS post
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilla_studios View Post
It's close enough to prove my point: working professionals use what's on hand and leave the pedantry for discussion boards.
It actually sounds nothing like 1073. The closest would be a 1066 or maybe 1063 and even those are not quite the same. This Warm audio looks more like a BAE or Heritage since nothing in it is faithful to an original.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Seriously my last post was deleted? How exactly is that offensive @Bender412?
Old 14th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
Seriously my last post was deleted? How exactly is that offensive @Bender412?
Politics are not allowed here. And if you want to PM me, feel free to do so, rather than post in this thread.

Thanks.
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by John lennon View Post
BS post
The phase issues in that clip are not subtle. An odd way to sell to professionals. Maybe they have a different target market.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Maybe they have a different target market.
Most of the plugins on the market are for the weekend warrior bedroom studio. IMO the fancier the bitmap UI the more crappy the plugin is. So many plugins these days are just crap.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender412 View Post
Politics are not allowed here. And if you want to PM me, feel free to do so, rather than post in this thread.

Thanks.
That's fine, I guess I've never posted about anything remotely political prior to today here (though I've seen far more politically charged posts on here over the years so it came as a surprise). However I'll say this. We see an awful lot of people communicate poorly educated stances concerning American made products Vs. outsourced ones on this forum. And it's usually for extremely biased/blatantly xenophobic reasons.

It's never a cut and dry scenario as to why something is manufactured where a company chooses to manufacture it, and there are many foreign made products which are top notch even by some of the best standards I've seen in boutique audio.

My previous console, a vintage Yamaha PM2000 was amazing in terms of construction of it's circuit design for example.

While I get that politics are volatile in the USA, and often divisive...my intent wasn't to provoke a fight. Sorry if I violated a rule.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I dropped this on my drumbus last night and a liitle bit of wee came out

I have the Arturia Synth collection (great stuff!)

How are you liking the Trident A Range EQ John? I love the fixed 250Hz for cuts there (I always cut just a bit around there on most sources, and even on program most of the time).
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
Just looking at the sheer size of those consoles should give you a hint about that additional circuitry.
I mean, there are a lot of channels, yes, but what else is actually in the signal path of a single channel is what I am getting at.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoepedals View Post
I mean, there are a lot of channels, yes, but what else is actually in the signal path of a single channel is what I am getting at.
Not sure but I guess it would be routing through the desk- to busses, master etc. I think people use summing mixers so this part is also done through analogue circuitry... this is my guess!
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgFree View Post
My preferences were:
1) bae
2) great river
3) warm
4) vintech
I agree 100% - B and D (Great River and the BAE) was way ahead IMHO.... Those two were much fuller and "spoked" HIGH Quality...

The 2 others were "small and thin" and part "grainy" on top... Sorry to say...

... But that shootout (even though it was not a particular great sounding room - looked great though ) MAY have changed some of my plans.

Either way, I commented on the youtube video before any answers given, with a simular wording
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal_SINE View Post
Most of the plugins on the market are for the weekend warrior bedroom studio. IMO the fancier the bitmap UI the more crappy the plugin is. So many plugins these days are just crap.
And some of the plugins are brilliant. Many top producers ( you know people who don't post on Gearslutz with negative rhetoric You know the people...?)they are the ones actually making money and recording and producing artists, Mix in the box.

So your post is BS

Next....
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
I have the Arturia Synth collection (great stuff!)

How are you liking the Trident A Range EQ John? I love the fixed 250Hz for cuts there (I always cut just a bit around there on most sources, and even on program most of the time).

Its now permanently on my track template. This is one killer plugin and it only cost me £23 English pounds.

In fact all of the new Arturia plugins are very nice indeed.
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Grabber View Post
I agree 100% - B and D (Great River and the BAE) was way ahead IMHO.... Those two were much fuller and "spoked" HIGH Quality...

... But that shootout (even though it was not a particular great sounding room - looked great though ) MAY have changed some of my plans.

Either way, I commented on the youtube video before any answers given, with a simular wording
Yep my fav was the Great River by far and although initially pleasing, the Warm does sound small to me when I listened on my studio monitors - lacks a bit of width. I do think it's remarkable how well it stacks up against the more expensive pres, so it's probably going to be a great piece for a lot of guys. But as with most things, you do get what you pay for and not everyone's willing to shell out twice as much for that extra 10%.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Grabber View Post

I agree and that "grainy" top and the lack of full range character of the WA73 did bother me for what I intend from the pre. And when the tone button died last week after having the pre for not even 2 weeks and maybe 10 hours of usage I gave the unit back to the store. Waiting for the Heritage HA73 to arrive.
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanesbg View Post
I just watched this shootout...

YouTube
Thanks for posting. On my AirPods at work, B stood out to me from the rest. It was mellow and smooth. Is GR the B?

Did anyone get the answers? No way I'm calling them or emailing them so they can try to sell me something and spam my inbox. I appreciate that they made the video, but what BS. Just post the answers on your site, or something. How annoying.
Old 14th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgFree View Post
I agree and that "grainy" top and the lack of full range character of the WA73 did bother me for what I intend from the pre. And when the tone button died last week after having the pre for not even 2 weeks and maybe 10 hours of usage I gave the unit back to the store. Waiting for the Heritage HA73 to arrive.
Can't believe that's still happening given their effort in marketing. As I wrote earlier (like 180 pages ago) in this thread my only experience with Warm was with a WA-76 that was broken right out of the box. So, it looked fine, but just didn't work at all. I can't imagine they don't care about so many people experiencing issues, but it seems they really don't.
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKER STUDIOS View Post
I would go stereo there killer on the drum bus
Hey Rocker being that you are using these on the drum bus do you find the cymbals to be harsh at all? I ask because of the many people saying the top is harsh or possibly not a smooth as something else or as smooth as someone wants. I'm curious about that...

Does anyone have any thoughts on the samples Revive put on their site demonstrating the Mod'd Warm 73?
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey Rocker being that you are using these on the drum bus do you find the cymbals to be harsh at all? I ask because of the many people saying the top is harsh or possibly not a smooth as something else or as smooth as someone wants. I'm curious about that...

Does anyone have any thoughts on the samples Revive put on their site demonstrating the Mod'd Warm 73?
I think they sound good
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Can't believe that's still happening given their effort in marketing. As I wrote earlier (like 180 pages ago) in this thread my only experience with Warm was with a WA-76 that was broken right out of the box. So, it looked fine, but just didn't work at all. I can't imagine they don't care about so many people experiencing issues, but it seems they really don't.
Granted, as with most things, the people who’ve had a bad experience are way more vocal than those who’ve had good experiences.

Not taking away anything from those who’ve gotten defective units. That sucks and is horribly frustrating. But a company like Warm ships a huge number of units, the vast majority of which will not be messed up.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear
I have a WA76 and have had 2 EQP-WAs. All were bought second-hand, and none arrived with issues. The EQPs did get damaged during a cross-country move, which was my fault for the way I packaged them, and Warm Audio was extremely responsive, sending me replacement knobs and fixing a mechanically audible transformer hum that had developed in one of the units at no charge. So, while I understand the immediate disappointment of receiving a faulty unit can be a big factor, I recommend contacting Warm directly if there is an issue you would like to see addressed.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I wasn't at all supposed to tell it in the board and I even told that to a member of the forum via pm. That because I though that such stuff can damage the image of a brand. But it is a fact and now there are tons of exaggerations in here regarding this pre such as it is par with Neve, Bae, Heritage etc. It is not at all. These other pres are in a different league, but also cost different prices(!)
The WA is good for the price but cannot compete with the others quality and tone wise. I have two UA LA 610 and one of them has literally hundreds of hours of usage and has spent weeks turned on in order to skip the warming of the tubes and never ever had any issue. But if one reads about the reputation of that pre in GS one gets a very different idea... Just telling about the WA 73 in order to inform. Waiting for the Heritage now and latter on I may add another heritage or the WA73 again, it depends. I wouldn't have the WA73 as my only 1073 flavor so I'll see.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
And some of the plugins are brilliant. Many top producers ( you know people who don't post on Gearslutz with negative rehotric, You know the people...?)they are the ones actually making money and recording and producing artists, Mix in the box.

So your post is BS

Next....
I concur John.

I was working Hybrid back in 1999-2001 on a TDM system in a studio I made my first larger project in. It's still my preferred way to work to this day. We worked there on and off for almost two years.

The funny part is I remember not being happy with all of the analog stuff which was available there, because most of it wasn't to my taste...feeling like the mics weren't my cup of tea (the "best" mic on hand was an old Rode NT1), and generally hating the room acoustics (we did a lot to compensate for them).

But the plugins they had were cutting edge for the time. So I leaned heavily on them. I was coming from working at a studio where a Fostex VF16 Hard Disk recorder was the heart of the place (they are terrible sounding if you've never had the pleasure)...and I remember thinking that PT HD (TDM), was a Godsend...but that I hated having to work on a Mac.

The only really great analog unit in the whole studio was an Avalon VT-747SP (Compressor with the Graphic EQ, a very underrated piece). I leaned on that unit to add body/depth to the whole of things, so it was strapped to the 2Bus from day one (we tracked with it in-line, and mixed into it the whole time) while we worked on that album via an analog insert. But you couldn't spread that out on the whole session to net the same result, and processing every track with it would have taken forever/been a bitch to recall.

There was a lot of "prosumer" level stuff...Art, Joe Meek, etc. None of it clicked with me (it all felt very "hard" sounding/unpleasant). But Waves plugins in particular stood out as being extremely usable. I forget everything that was there in terms of plugs...but I used primarily Waves stuff to get by, and as soon as I could afford to buy them later for my first home system running Cubase I bought the Platinum bundle.

I still get kind marks about those recordings...even though it was by no means the best thing I've ever done.

Generally plugs have just gotten better and better if anything. There's some stuff which hasn't aged well, and some plugs I feel hurt imaging so I avoid them...but I still use them every time I sit down to work.

Even when I owned a class A/B console I still worked hybrid.

The funny part is I've had quite a few freelance sessions over the years at studios where tape machines were available, and that has it's own sound/vibe, etc. But it's just not a workflow I prefer. Especially for editing/recall.

But I would still rather be on a B or C grade console with a Tape Machine (cutting myself by accident with a razor to edit)...or working with a Hybrid System that has a few great class A pieces for processing stems/analog inserts, than to work out of a studio with primarily prosumer grade analog gear and cheap converters, which generally hurts fidelity.

People don't get how lucky they are. We are experiencing a renaissance in terms of how affordable next generation pro analog equipment is to the general public, and digital just keeps getting better and better in turn.
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

So your post is BS
Maybe to a weekend warrior
Old 15th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
That all you got?

lol

NEXT
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
That all you got?

lol

NEXT
It's all I need.
You have to admit most buyer's of plugins are pretty gullible. Most buyers get enticed by the colorful retro bitmaps. After they drop their hard earned day job money on plugs the last thing they are going to do is question the authenticity of the plugin sound. Not to mention they have no idea what the original hardware sounds like to even make a valid comparison. When in doubt pick the plugin that has the sleekest bitmap ui.
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
See I don't get that attitude man. Especially in 2018.

For starters, recall is more and more critical than ever. I'm looking at a Genesys console pretty hard soon, mainly because it provides the most by way of digital recall abilities in an analog solution on the market, that also falls into my range of personal tastes.

And I'm lucky enough where that kind of expansion is within reach. Most younger engineers couldn't dream to afford that kind of sideways move in terms of workflow. Not in today's job market. The Music Industry just isn't what it was, so you have to slowly build a client base independently if you're not part of a machine with representation and/or connections to record labels directly.

If someone younger is working in the box, that's where this is going to start for them. Mentorships/internships at studios/real world experience in these arenas is highly competitive, with a smaller job pool than there used to be (and it was never a really large arena). Plus who can work for basically nothing for years at a time in 2018, even if they're lucky enough to get that starting gig cleaning up the trash?

I worked as a studio manager after basically being half a custodian, doing sessions part-time for years before I moved to working full time in the early 2000's...but I was still reinvesting what little money I had in myself the whole time.

In this high stress world we live, where artists are doing a lot of self-recording, and as a byproduct, demanding fast revisions, I wouldn't ever want to work without digital recall again. I'm even moving away from analog gear that doesn't have stepped controls at the very least whenever possible.

I'm not picking a fight with you man, I just don't understand your reasoning. Are you an analog purist?

Last edited by herecomesyourman; 15th March 2018 at 01:28 AM..
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drainyoo View Post
Thanks for posting. On my AirPods at work, B stood out to me from the rest. It was mellow and smooth. Is GR the B?

Did anyone get the answers? No way I'm calling them or emailing them so they can try to sell me something and spam my inbox. I appreciate that they made the video, but what BS. Just post the answers on your site, or something. How annoying.
The guy in this thread e-mailed them (as pr instructon on the youtube video), and got the answer:
Warm Audio WA-73 + WA-273EQ !!
Old 15th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:

To me it sounds like the pre opens up after the mods According to the clips they provided; sounds bigger
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search