The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Warm Audio WA-73 + WA-273EQ !!
Old 26th February 2018
Gear Head

For those comparing the Warm with the Heritage Elite series in terms of performance/sonics, which would you recommend for someone who's primarily going to be recording oldies-style acoustic music? Like early Joni Mitchell, Freewheelin' era Bob Dylan, Simon and Garfunkel, etc.
Old 26th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonDeScript View Post
For those comparing the Warm with the Heritage Elite series in terms of performance/sonics, which would you recommend for someone who's primarily going to be recording oldies-style acoustic music? Like early Joni Mitchell, Freewheelin' era Bob Dylan, Simon and Garfunkel, etc.
Neither. Two tube pres, two great mics, one a ribbon maybe, and a damn good room.

The most important being a damn good room
Old 26th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgFree View Post

The Bae costs twice as much as the WA73 and the Heritage Elite is in the same price range. For the price this pre is a great deal! I think I will get the Heritage as well for another Neve type of flavor.

Thank you very much ProgFree for this synopsis. I heard the exact same qualities in the very first comparison clip posted in this thread from the first field user, especially with regards to what you say about the low end.

If/When you get the Heritage plz do me a favor and share your thoughts vs the Warm. I ordered the Elite and may get another 1073 if I like what it does but not sure whether to get another Warm73EQ, a Heritage or perhaps get a Great River (due to it's versatility).
Old 26th February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonDeScript View Post
I think you wanna be looking at the Universal Audio 610 solo. Great big tube sound.
Old 26th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
I’m afraid the cheapest thing to be found on these pages is your argument.

Aside from your hubris, this has been a really productive, substantive discussion. People posting clips, making a good faith effort to create meaningful comparisons, helping those looking to buy be more informed.

The fact that you feel compelled to repeatedly interject your completely uninformed, snide, straw man white-noise smacks of the worst kind of elitism.

Fortunately, it discredits itself so there’s little risk of anyone taking it seriously.

Last edited by Bender412; 27th February 2018 at 01:06 AM..
Old 26th February 2018
Lives for gear

That’s the thing. We’re not arguing about whether the Warm unit is any good. Neither of us have used it.

You’re just posting stuff based on the fact that you Don’t Like The Idea Of It and I’m pointing out that that’s an incredibly weak position.
Old 26th February 2018
Lives for gear

It amazes me that people make comments or judgments off / the Clipalator until you use it in your own Studio in real recording situations prob. should not JUDGE
Old 26th February 2018
Gear Maniac

Tracking drums and have the wa73eq on kick in and out. Hi pass at 50, small boost at 36, small cut at 700 and small boost at 10k. Sounds amazing. I’m using aurora on overheads, don nv73 on room, api a2d on snare and isa 828 on toms, hats, ride.

Doesn’t sound “cheap” to me :-)
Old 26th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
Thank you very much ProgFree for this synopsis. I heard the exact same qualities in the very first comparison clip posted in this thread from the first field user, especially with regards to what you say about the low end.

If/When you get the Heritage plz do me a favor and share your thoughts vs the Warm. I ordered the Elite and may get another 1073 if I like what it does but not sure whether to get another Warm73EQ, a Heritage or perhaps get a Great River (due to it's versatility).
No problem. I will as soon as I get it. They are a bit later for delivery it seems.
Old 26th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgFree View Post
No problem. I will as soon as I get it. They are a bit later for delivery it seems.

Awesome thx! And understood on the delayed delivery. Haven't received mine yet either. One last thing, I think I speak for everyone in this thread when I say I really appreciate the samples you've been putting up! It has been extremely helpful!
Old 26th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amargator View Post
the warm might resemble the sound of 1073 they sound really good and open but it’s its own thing I think the heritage
Jr 73 sounds more like the classic 1073 but The bae is my favorite.
There's an 80's series Neve at Flying Blanket Studios in Mesa AZ (right nearby where I live).

They have BAE channels and vintage channels filling the frame.

The BAE channels don't sound nearly as good in my opinion. There are obvious differences.

I haven't heard the Heritage in person, but I did own a pair of 1066's...and I also owned eight vintage 1272's that also had Marinairs (racked by BAE before it changed ownership and started manufacturing clones).

Yadda yadda...I've talked about all this on this thread before.

The clips of the Heritage I have tracked down didn't sound as close as the Warm clips from multiple sources (Videos, users on this thread, the Clipulator, etc.).

I get that you like the BAE, but it's a "modern" interpretation of that sound. It's not in the same ballpark as those old units in terms of response. They're pro kit...they work, you can make records with them...but it shouldn't be labeled as 100% accurate clone.

I'm betting Stam and Avedis get closer with custom transformers as well...but there's a reason why people are trying to get closer to the vintage frequency response. It just isn't what Carnhill has been selling since Rupert left the building.
Old 26th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKER STUDIOS View Post
It amazes me that people make comments or judgments off / the Clipalator until you use it in your own Studio in real recording situations prob. should not JUDGE
I disagree there...I've worked with the real thing enough to hear differences in various clips as long as they're professionally recorded.

It's not hard to make the distinction honestly (See every way-too-long post I've made in this thread detailing differences,documented manufacture history, and actual clips posted).

For instance the clip I posted with a Vintech Vs. a rented vintage 1073 illustrate how those units don't sound the same (to put it kindly). Certainly nowhere near interchangeable.

Also Mickrich's tests have been brutally honest in illustrating obvious differences between the "modern" carnhill sound and this Warm/Carnhill collaboration where they reverse engineered the Marinairs.

This isn't that hard to hear, and if you have reasonably good monitors to do A/B tests with than it becomes more apparent that all of these "clones" do in fact sound different.

I happen to love and intimately know what the real thing sounds like...so the Warm will find a place here to get a test drive. But even if it's a 0.05% difference...this is the first time I've heard something that felt closer to right than not.
Old 27th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I already said that the unit is probably good enough for 95% of GS’ers. But that’s because so few on GS have worked with the real thing.

I’m not a snob-I’m a realist.

You’re nobody without a Neve.
I'll be sure to pass that along next time I wear my members only jacket to the somebody's club weekly poker game.

What in the actual **** do you mean by that comment?

Are you saying you can't sell studio time without owning a vintage unit?

Or are you claiming you can't make great recordings without owning one?

I've owned vintage units, and I've also worked on projects in a studio with a full 80's series console here and there. While I'm passionate about that sound, I don't get/understand your attitude, or what you're trying to claim.

If I can get the imaging/depth of field/tone/distortion characteristics/etc. all from using something cheaper I'm not so precious that I give a **** about what the label on the tin says.

I'm also not a purist...if it's updated in some respects (PSU reliability especially), then there's nothing to lose as long as all of the sonic qualities that matter are present in the final product.

Yes, you are by definition a snob, and you're obviously trolling at this point.

snob
snäb/Submit
noun
a person with an exaggerated respect for high social position or wealth who seeks to associate with social superiors and dislikes people or activities regarded as lower-class.
a person who believes that their tastes in a particular area are superior to those of other people.
"a musical snob"
Old 27th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
You’re nobody without a Neve.
Man, when you put it that way, that explains the thousands of working engineers, musicians, and producers using all sorts of terrible, unusable garbage from Mercury, D.W. Fearn, BAE, Aurora, Burl, LaChapell, Telefunken, API, etc. No wonder they're a bunch of nobodies. Thanks for the clarification!
Old 27th February 2018
Gear Guru

If we could all meet face to face a lot of these disagreements would be sorted out pretty automatically. It's pretty amusing to me what comes and what goes on these internet based discussions.
Old 27th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
I'll be sure to pass that along next time I wear my members only jacket to the somebody's club weekly poker game.

What in the actual **** do you mean by that comment?

Are you saying you can't sell studio time without owning a vintage unit?

Or are you claiming you can't make great recordings without owning one?

I've owned vintage units, and I've also worked on projects in a studio with a full 80's series console here and there. While I'm passionate about that sound, I don't get/understand your attitude, or what you're trying to claim.

If I can get the imaging/depth of field/tone/distortion characteristics/etc. all from using something cheaper I'm not so precious that I give a **** about what the label on the tin says.

I'm also not a purist...if it's updated in some respects (PSU reliability especially), then there's nothing to lose as long as all of the sonic qualities that matter are present in the final product.

Yes, you are by definition a snob, and you're obviously trolling at this point.

snob
snäb/Submit
noun
a person with an exaggerated respect for high social position or wealth who seeks to associate with social superiors and dislikes people or activities regarded as lower-class.
a person who believes that their tastes in a particular area are superior to those of other people.
"a musical snob"
Bear in mind that the preamp Plush calls the 'best preamp in the world' (sic) is the DAV BG1. Certainly far cheaper than a neve and attainable for most mortals.
Old 27th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedbear View Post
Bear in mind that the preamp Plush calls the 'best preamp in the world' (sic) is the DAV BG1. Certainly far cheaper than a neve and attainable for most mortals.
Well API is pretty inexpensive too and every bit as good if not better than Neve.
Old 27th February 2018
Gear Head

Well, I got over my indecisiveness and ordered the WA-273EQ. I'm optimistic.
Old 27th February 2018
Gear Maniac

I like warm gear, but I still have a hard time understanding how so many can't hear that they all have a lack of low end. I heard it in clips before I ever tried them out myself, and I hear it when using them.

It seems to get fixed when they get modded from what I've used/heard; but for whatever reason stock they are missing that. I kind of see it as their "sound" as it seems to be in each piece. I guess they are more "hifi/modern" stock...whatever that means. I haven't used a wa73 yet, but I love the clipalator and you can hear differences when you listen to it. It sounds like it is missing some low end, the "warm sound", compared to other 1073 offerings.

I'm sure with a mod they will be even closer and add a little more meat.

I think warm offers amazing products at amazing prices...gives people incredible choices that they would never normally have and offers great bang for the buck. I'll have no problem buying one to try out. But that's just my two cents from what I've found.

My favorite "1073 offering" by far is the Mohog Mo73
Old 27th February 2018
Gear Maniac

Another test.
This time double tracked guitars in a mix.
I get a lot of heavy drop tuned bands in the studio so this test was mainly for myself but I'm sure you guys would like to hear it.

Signal chain is Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt to Redeye 3D reamp box to TS808 to Peavey 6505 to Mesa Rectifier cab to SM57 to mic pre.
WA73, GTQ2 and NV73 to Ensemble analog in.
ISA828 and A2D using their own converters.
No EQ or processing on the guitar tracks. They are exactly as they were recorded.
EQ and high pass off on mic pres.
Gain was set as close to -12dBFS as possible with stepped gain controls then adjusted with the output gain trim pots.
The NV73 was pushed a little bit more on the input gain than the others as I found that it sounds better slightly pushed.

Files are named A, B, C, D, E and ID is in a text file zipped in the folder.
Dropbox - TMS MIC PRE TESTS 2.zip

Old 27th February 2018
Gear Nut

Can anyone advise about sending tracks through a preamp like this for mojo? I have an Audient Id22, will I need to get some sort of intermediary gear to control the signal going into the preamp/eq?
Old 27th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrizzi View Post
Can anyone advise about sending tracks through a preamp like this for mojo? I have an Audient Id22, will I need to get some sort of intermediary gear to control the signal going into the preamp/eq?
No, I think you just go Line Out to Line In on the preamp.
Old 27th February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
The ID22 also has insert jacks, that you can use to bypass its preamp and send a line signal directly to its converters. This might get you a slightly punchier signal.
Old 27th February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
ID 22 Insterts,

I use my DAV BG1 for drum OH going into my id 22 inserts.
Old 27th February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickrich View Post
Tracking drums and have the wa73eq on kick in and out. Hi pass at 50, small boost at 36, small cut at 700 and small boost at 10k. Sounds amazing. I’m using aurora on overheads, don nv73 on room, api a2d on snare and isa 828 on toms, hats, ride.

Doesn’t sound “cheap” to me :-)
I have a WA273-EQ coming soon. just curious about the noise levels on these preamps. Have you tried looking for low level noise from the preamp itself?
Old 27th February 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalGrease View Post
The ID22 also has insert jacks, that you can use to bypass its preamp and send a line signal directly to its converters. This might get you a slightly punchier signal.
Aye thanks, I have it as insert, I understand how it works when recording tracks, but sending tracks back out to a preamp like this after recording, either for color or eq I'm not sure about?

I go from my send 2 from id22 to insert return on pre. Then insert send back to id22 return?
Old 27th February 2018
That would be a lot of mojo/color.
Old 27th February 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv4ree View Post
That would be a lot of mojo/color.
Probably but was I right about how its done in post above? cheers
Old 27th February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Aye thanks, I have it as insert, I understand how it works when recording tracks, but sending tracks back out to a preamp like this after recording, either for color or eq I'm not sure about?

I go from my send 2 from id22 to insert return on pre. Then insert send back to id22 return?
I have not tried anything that elaborate with the id22 during the time I had it.

If you contact their support people, they might be able to suggest how to route things to make it work for you.
Old 27th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_r View Post
No, I think you just go Line Out to Line In on the preamp.
This. Swap the mic pre in your interface to line in. Take the line out of the external preamp (we'll use the Warm WA-73 as an example because of the thread were in) and patch that to the line in of the Audient.

What you won't be able to do is patch the inserts of the Audient if you have any, to the inserts of the Warm WA273 (from looking at the back).

Those are Sends/Returns and should be reserved for other outboard gear like stand alone EQ's and compressors strictly, because (depending on design) sometimes inserts are unbalanced Vs balanced line inputs/outputs...and while you can hook things up that way....I wouldn't. I think with the Warm, it's EQ is post insert in it's signal chain, which is why I'm writing this all out so explicitly. However you could put the mic preamp in the warm into Line In mode, and use the preamp and EQ as an analog insert in the Audient if you patch Insert/Send Out to the Warm's Line In, and then patched the Warm's Line Out to the Audients Insert/Return In. This would "color" the relatively clean Audient mic preamp a bit...but in my opinion isn't worth it Vs. just using the Warm, or some other external preamp, into the Line In on the Audient (Stand alone EQ and compression would just be more efficient, and probably better sounding as an insert on the Audient).

If you want to reamp something (NOTE: you will also need a reamp box in that case), or use the preamps as an analog insert to "warm" things up. You'll want to patch the Line Outs of the Audient into the Line Ins on the Preamps, then the Lines out of the preamps should be patched to the Line ins of the Audient. But you need to use dual preamps in stereo/dual mono to create a stereo image and match the gain equally about on both sides at all stages where it can be controlled.

I would also think about a single TRS or XLR patch bay. Nothing huge, but something where you can label everything, and think about how you want to "grow" your setup. This way you can visualize your signal flow at all times, and get used to things faster. You don't have to break the bank to put something like that together.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search