The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
CD Ink Printer purchasing suggests
Old 20th October 2002
Lives for gear

CD Ink Printer purchasing suggests

I'm looking into buying a printer that I can print directly on to cd's with for a little snazzier presentation, and better organization. Anyone have one to suggest? Should I just buy the cheapest one I see? I hate it when you buy a lazer printer, it's like $150, but the ink cartridges are like $100 and run out monthly. What pitfalls should I look out for? Should I spring for a CD replicator that prints on the CD's and can be used to copy them? What price range am I looking at? I'd also like to be able to use photoshop, or the like to come up with some nice graphics since I was a computer graphic artist in a past life. I don't know where to start so any advice would be helpful.

I do NOT want to just use cd label stickers, so please don't suggest that.
Old 20th October 2002
Moderator emeritus

Check out the Diskmakers web site - I got a catalog from them last week that had a number of ink jet labelers.

Also, on the Mastering list, one fellow mentioned Primera printers as head and sholders above the rest.
Old 20th October 2002
We have a Primera inkjet (and it's worked trouble free for several years) - highly recommended. If memory serves me right, it was about $1100 and the ink cartridges (color) are about $50 each...
Old 22nd October 2002
Gear Maniac

I have a rimage thermal printer and I think it is excellent. Better than the ink jet style printer because the graphic does not smear like on the ink jet. Also it will print on any disc surface you do not have to buy specific cdrs. It does cost more but the cartridges cost about the same and if I am doing mainly text I have gotten over 3000 cd's on 1 ribbon. Not too bad as far as price per cd.

Old 22nd October 2002
Off Topic for a sec,

This wont do CD's but looks to be a cool gadget

I'm gonna get a HP155x, Its a: Flatbed scanner, Printer, Fax all in one.It can also print hard copies of photos from Sony Memory sticks, it's "network capable" and uses Ethernet.

So I plan to have it stashed away in a cupboard out of sight and get it to print off stuff via an Ethernet conection to a Macintosh "Airport" base that gets wireless signal from my Ibook laptop.

So - the hidden home office!

Anyone seen one of these all in one units in action?

Sorry for the OT interuption.

Old 22nd October 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by audiogeek1
I have a rimage thermal printer and I think it is excellent. Better than the ink jet style printer because the graphic does not smear like on the ink jet.
Actually, with modern discs the inkjet won't smear either...

And the inkjet is nice because you get a decent image out of them - the thermals are still stuck in the 300-600dpi range, while you can easily get 2400dpi in an inkjet.

It's why they make red cars and blue cars, I s'pose...
Old 22nd October 2002
What's the deal on those CD's that if you get wet at all, the surface of em turns to a sticky mess??

Old 22nd October 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
What's the deal on those CD's that if you get wet at all, the surface of em turns to a sticky mess??
I guess people are buying cheap discs?!?!

We use only Taiyo Yuden Silver printables and have had zero problems with any smearing. Plus, they look fantastic!
Old 22nd October 2002
Taiyo Yuden Silver

I buy them, I dunno if I get the printables, anyhoo I use sticky labels..

Old 22nd October 2002
Gear Maniac

" Actually, with modern discs the inkjet won't smear either..."

I found even with the primera pro inkjet printers and the mitsui and taiyo printable discs I was still leaving thumb prints on them a couple of days later when packaging the CD. The images looked great but I could not get over the smudging that happened. That is why I chose the rimage thermal printer for me. if a little smudging does not bother you and you want a higher resolution print the ink jets are great. most of what I do does not require actual photo realism on the cd. if someone is going to go to that much trouble I send the cds out to be silk screened.

Also if you are just doing cds with your studio name on them etc.. you can get quantegy cds with custom silk screening done. I think Mitsui will do this also.
Old 23rd October 2002
Understood - differing needs.

BTW, Quantegy *are* Mitsui.
Old 24th October 2002
Old 25th October 2002
Lives for gear

Hoy ****ruds in a george forman grill!!! Wow.... That looks dope as hell!!!
Old 25th October 2002
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by Jens
Check this out!

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/multimedia...dsCRWF1_1.html

Jens
I've been waiting for some reports on this thing. Is it shipping? Any one try it out yet?

-Moze
Old 25th October 2002
Lives for gear

looking at about $124 from nexthardwareshope... I'm a little hesitant to get one only because I haven't heard any mac/toast related reviews. That CD tattoo stuff does look cool as hell, and I've love to be the 1st kid on the block with one. The 40 X speeds ain't too shaby neither.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search