The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Drum conversion advise
Old 20th October 2002
Gear Head

Drum conversion advise

I need advise.
I will produce a bands b-sides for singles. its a great chance since the Band is a pretty famous Newmetal combo.
Now the problem:
I have a adat PCI card, it does 8 channels simultaneous.
1 Apogee Rosetta
1 cheapie 8 channel convertor

I can EITHER hook up the Rosetta OR the cheapie.

I will get ONE new piece of gear:
(1) A double Adat I/O card like Hammerfall so I can hook up both convertors, OR
(2) A mediocre 8channel convertor like RME or Swissonic.

If (1) I can hook up both convertors, but should I put the overheads or kick/snare through the Rosetta? (kick/snare will probably get augemented with triggered samples by famous mixer dude)
Then I have: cheapie: kick,snare,tom,HH,ride
Rosetta: Oh-room L/R

If (2) I have 8 channels mediocre conversion but probably better than cheapie, but no Apogee on drums at all.

I now its a long post but it keeps me up all night.

Yours
Jakob

BTW: I posted this on PSW too, I hope its not a problem
Old 20th October 2002
The best 2 ch converter you have should go on an overhead stereo pair IMHO

Pay great attention to the signal coming in from those, dont over eq it (or compress it at all) and use the best possible mic's and pre's available to you.. Change cymbals & snares till the pair sounds great (I recomend you rent a 4 ch API 4231 - for Kick Snare & stereo overheads on "drum day(s)" then keep to use it on ALL overdubs if you can afford the rental) a lot of your snare & toms sound should come in via the overheads. IT'S MOST IMPORTANT!

The Hammerfall has a great reputation

Old 20th October 2002
One with big hooves

I'd be more concerned about the room, mics and preamps then the converter. Unless the converters really suck they won't make as big of a difference as your mics. Having one good 2-channel A/D around is nice, like Jules said, use it on overdubs. I haven't used my Mytek for that yet. Call me lazy. I've heard good things about the RME stuff, keep in mind it's a long way from the Panasonic 3700 converters which are ok to my ears. Years ago I mixed a whole bunch of stuff right to a 3700 and that wasn't the weak link in those recordings.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search