The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Is anyone still using hardware reverb units?
Old 29th November 2017
Lives for gear

Is anyone still using hardware reverb units?

Just curious.
Is anyone still using hardware reverb units in the studio since we have a LOT of awesome reverb plugins like Valhalla, Lexicon, UAD and Relab etc?
For me it's all about long lush verbs for mostly synths
Old 29th November 2017
Lives for gear

Bricasti?
Old 29th November 2017
Lives for gear

I use my Master Room XL-305 spring a LOT. Also my Bricasti (not as much).
Old 29th November 2017
Lives for gear

Use them everyday. Plug ins don't give me the same thing I get out of the release deal. For me it's mostly springs, plates and a home brew chamber.

I also use lots of convolution reverbs.
Old 29th November 2017
Lives for gear

M7 here in daily use. 2nd unit is imminent.
Old 29th November 2017
Lives for gear

90% of all my productions are done with hardware effects -- digital I/O to our DAW --- Now strictly TC Electronics

Plug ins == only for guitar effects and kick/bass EQ

Last edited by cjogo; 30th November 2017 at 12:00 AM..
Old 29th November 2017
Still use our Quantec Yardstick 2402F but my ears have now adapted to the smooth digital sound and even the nicest plates sound mechanical. And I was a pure reverb slut for decades, EMTs, AMS, Lexicons, AKGs, even had the Yamaha unit that captured your own waves, used an old black and white IBM laptop which was the only computer the software would work with.
Old 29th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulusound View Post
I use my Master Room XL-305 spring a LOT. Also my Bricasti (not as much).
Me too! Love my Master Room.
Old 29th November 2017
Gear Addict

TC M4000, Yamaha Pro3r and a DR spring reverb

I still hate to pay for a plug-in when 10kg of lights, buttons and displays cost the same
Old 30th November 2017
Lives for gear

Two Bricastis, and they usually cover everything. Plugins only sometimes. There are some good plugins,to be sure.

Not long ago I only had one bricasti and I would use a plug-in vocal plate or something. Love the UAD ones.

Edit - I forgot the reverb in my RE-201 - that counts too

Last edited by antichef; 30th November 2017 at 06:08 PM..
Old 30th November 2017
Lives for gear

I get that some are using springs, DIY plates, etc. But the standards in studios were the 480l, 960, TC 4000 and 6000, Yardstick, EMT 140, 250.
And I tend to think that guys who have those machines are still using them.
I have the Relabs, and am very happy with them (VSR S24, LX480) but I would tend more to give credence to someone like Jan Erik Kongshaug,
one of the main engineers for ECM (Manfred Eicher loves his reverb!) or Stefano Amerio, both of whom use TC 6000 and the Lex 960 - both of whom
prefer the hardware to plugs.

Is the Bricasti now the lone holdout for hardware vs. software reverb? Maybe. Software is creeping up pretty fast, though.
Old 30th November 2017
Lives for gear
Lexicon PCM-96 and PCM-80 with the pitch shift card.
Old 30th November 2017
Lives for gear

I own a Briscati as well.
Old 30th November 2017
Gear Nut

Sure, I use an Alesis midiverb 2, TC M300 and Lexicon Alex.
I like em all better than any plugin I have tried.
Old 30th November 2017
Gear Maniac

akg bx10 going strong. the master room 305 was also a highlight in all my spring testing. bricasti some day. sooner the better.
Old 30th November 2017
Lives for gear

My low end rack is completed by a lowly Lex MPX 200 that does what I need, and fits my style. Would I like a Bricasti? Is a toad's ass waterproof? Am I likely to get one? I expect Hell would need to go through several ice ages before that happens.

Old 30th November 2017
Gear Guru

I use mine more often than plugins. Mostly TC M3000, but also Lexicon PCM60 and Eventide H3000, but I don't usually use it for reverb. I record them and other outboard effects back into PT for recall.
Old 30th November 2017
Lives for gear

I still use crap hardware 20-30% of the time, like this Art FXR unit, Behringer VVerb, stompboxes, etc.

Definitely not better than current software options, but I've found I can find unique and interesting sounds that I can't easily match with plugs.

If I'm happy with whatever plugin I'm using for the rough mix I'll usually stick with that though.
Old 30th November 2017
Lives for gear

We have 3x 480's, 2x 960's 3x System 6000's and a Bricasti as well as an EMT 250
Old 30th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat View Post
My low end rack is completed by a lowly Lex MPX 200 that does what I need, and fits my style. Would I like a Bricasti? Is a toad's ass waterproof? Am I likely to get one? I expect Hell would need to go through several ice ages before that happens.

Yep, this is where I fit in as well. I am using 2 Lexicon MX400's. For some reason, they seem to just add a little more 3d to the mix. Actually, OTB reverbs are the only hardware I am using at the moment. I was using a hybrid setup, but both of my mixers went belly up (they were cheap, like everything else I own), so I decided that being ITB was going to have to do until I get a huge inheritance or win the lottery.

fb
Old 30th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakatira View Post
Sure, I use an Alesis midiverb 2, TC M300 and Lexicon Alex.
I like em all better than any plugin I have tried.

I have all those same units amongst some others. Along with those three I really like the Ibanez SDR1000...it's actually a re-branded Sony unit many older AE's really liked.

I happen to prefer using HW verbs for monitoring during tracking since I can usually pull up something decent very quickly without having to fiddle too much i.e. EQ and compress the verb to make it sit.
Old 30th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterinn View Post
I still use crap hardware 20-30% of the time, like this Art FXR unit, Behringer VVerb, stompboxes, etc.

Definitely not better than current software options, but I've found I can find unique and interesting sounds that I can't easily match with plugs.

^^^ this!. Some of these old units have some serious character. My Lexi Alex and Vortex are really unique sounding.

Come mix time I usually switch to plugins for recall and to have a bit more control but every once in a while the HW just does something special...even the low end units.

I'd actually like to add TC M-One and D-2. Fantastic units! Loved those back in the 90's.
Old 30th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
We have 3x 480's, 2x 960's 3x System 6000's and a Bricasti as well as an EMT 250
Oh shut up.
Old 30th November 2017
Lives for gear

hey I thought this was Gearslutz

I never mentioned the 4 X PCM 80's 2X PCM 70's and The PCM 96 and all of the Eventide boxes
5 rooms lots of racks to fill ....
Old 30th November 2017
Lives for gear

I'm dropping a PCM60 into the rack tomorrow. Instant 80's vibe. Lucky to have found one in near mint condition. Not much flex, but a few good sounds in there. I like the plate.
Old 30th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
I'm dropping a PCM60 into the rack tomorrow. Instant 80's vibe. Lucky to have found one in near mint condition. Not much flex, but a few good sounds in there. I like the plate.
PCM 60 only does a few things but it does them really well! When I got my bricasti I loaned the 60 to a buddy, but i sort of miss it....
Old 30th November 2017
Lives for gear

I like hardware effects and reverb units because you still have the hands on factor. Lots of nice sounding plugin effects out there that I will use, but I tend to use presets on plugins whereas hardware units I like to roll my own effects.

I have the Oto Bam and that's a great example of why I like hardware units. Immediate and quick to dial in sounds. It's also fun to use. I can't say the same thing about plugin effects. I've tried using the computer for soft synths and plugins for a long time, but I'm personally not a fan. Though it's nice because you do have less clutter in the studio, but no one cares about that here

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
hey I thought this was Gearslutz

I never mentioned the 4 X PCM 80's 2X PCM 70's and The PCM 96 and all of the Eventide boxes
5 rooms lots of racks to fill ....
Very fortunate there
Old 30th November 2017
Lives for gear

I regularly use the reverb tank in my RE501, as well as a handfull of readily available chambers.
The old SPX 990 is hooked up to the patchbay.
And, when the setup permits, the Sony V77 gets hooked up via S/PDIF and shows up as HW insert in Cubase.
Old 30th November 2017
Lives for gear

TC M-ONE XL
TC D-2 delay
Use those on everything on send/returns and I have the Lexicon PCM Bundle among others but no matter what I try, the lowly XL just sits better.IMO
Wish I could check out a Bricasti. I can afford one but I just can't justify the money per times used.
Old 30th November 2017
Lives for gear
Our Auxes
1- SDE1000 / TC D2
2- RE301
3- Fulltone SSTE
4- Vermona Retroverb
5/6- H3000
7/8- H7000
9/10- Orban 111b Spring
11/12- Pluto Plate
The only thing I spent more than $800 on was the Pluto Plate and the RE301.

Hardware is tactile and immediate. I have yet to hear software come close in both user interface and sound. Maybe someday... but with this rig, would I care?
The Retroverb, 111b, RE301, H7000 are CL finds for $300, 500, 800, 800. I love that lots of people think software is close enough. It helps bring the cost of hardware down a little.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search