The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is anyone still using hardware reverb units?
Old 17th November 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Bricasti M7M and TC Electronic Reverb 4000 and a Yamaha SPX990 doing main duties here. Want a PCM96 and an Eventide.
Old 17th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmojo ➑️
a Yamaha SPX990 doing main duties here.
Any particular presets you like on this or do you tweak everything yourself?
Old 18th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The SPX990 is mainly used for the classic Symphonic effect. Gorgeous!!
Old 19th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmojo ➑️
The SPX990 is mainly used for the classic Symphonic effect. Gorgeous!!
Exactly what I use mine for. Preset 57.
Old 9th December 2020
Here for the gear
Audified R1 Synergy
Meris Mercury7 500
The Spring tank in my Echo Fix EF-X2
Various pedals (Free The Tone Ambi-Space, Source Audio Ventris, soon to be a Strymon Night Sky)
Old 9th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by santibanks ➑️
Any particular presets you like on this or do you tweak everything yourself?
I use the concrete and squash rooms a lot.
Old 9th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Interesting, i should try these. Drum Mach Amb.S (31) I like on drum machines (TR808/cr78 style).
Old 6th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theglow ➑️
I recently added the Dizengoff Type 140 500 series plate reverb to my setup and it’s practically replaced my ITB plates. Sounds so cool!
I can't believe no one is really talking about the Dizengoff type 140. You bet I just ordered my second one. Elegant, simple, sounds fantastic. Great customer service.
Old 6th January 2021
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I don't have a 500 series cart. Otherwise who knows?
Old 6th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Still >> almost exclusively -- since the 80's .... hardware runs my projects..
Old 27th January 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Reverb or multi-unit hardware:
Midi verb IV
PCM 91
LXP-15 (JW did some cool sh1t to it)
PCM 70
PCM 60
Old 27th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just got this back from repair today. I will check it out tomorrow!! EMT 240 Gold Foil Plate reverb!
Attached Thumbnails
Is anyone still using hardware reverb units?-emt240.jpg  
Old 27th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes. 224, M7, PCM96 and reverbs in H8000FW (and H3000 D/SE I just got)
Old 30th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quite recently I purchased the TC electronic reverb/delay unit. It sounds a good as the plugins and I can monitor in the headphones with reverb. However this is a free standing digital unit so I don't consider it an actual hardware reverb.
Old 30th January 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Lawson ➑️
Quite recently I purchased the TC electronic reverb/delay unit. It sounds a good as the plugins and I can monitor in the headphones with reverb. However this is a free standing digital unit so I don't consider it an actual hardware reverb.
Which unit did you purchase?
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
(...) this is a free standing digital unit so I don't consider it an actual hardware reverb.
?!?
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Not just only reverb:

Old 31st January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➑️
?!?
Traditional reverb units were usually metal boxes with coiled springs suspended by contact microphones. The reverb effect was caused by the mechanical motion of the audio impulse traveling down the springs between the contact mics. Some guitar amps still employ mechanical spring reverbs. But today almost all reverb units are electronically done. A free standing unit will have all electronic internals.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
M100
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Traditional reverb units were usually metal boxes with coiled springs suspended by contact microphones. The reverb effect was caused by the mechanical motion of the audio impulse traveling down the springs between the contact mics. Some guitar amps still employ mechanical spring reverbs. But today almost all reverb units are electronically done. A free standing unit will have all electronic internals.
well, i built reverb/echo chambers, plates and spring reverbs myself...

...but i've long abandoned them: today, i'm using pcm96s, quantec yardstick, tc twentyfour etc. all of which have nothing but digital i/o's - nevertheless, they certainly qualify for being called 'reverbs'!
Old 1st February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
EMT 240 Gold Foil plate reverb... wow. This plate sounds great. The decay, the tail, it sounds so alive and deep. Very smooth. We also have a EMT 140 mono plate in our A room. That sounds great too! Very different beast. Time to find a remote for the 240. I read a 140 remote will work too. No remote or motor for our 140.
Old 1st February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d.finley ➑️
EMT 240 Gold Foil plate reverb... wow. This plate sounds great. The decay, the tail, it sounds so alive and deep. Very smooth. We also have a EMT 140 mono plate in our A room. That sounds great too! Very different beast. Time to find a remote for the 240. I read a 140 remote will work too. No remote or motor for our 140.
I've got a 240...also no remote...would be nice, but I kinda use it mostly for my drums, so I don't have to get down at the unit to change the time too often.
Still...I do check the interwebs occasionally to see if a remote comes up. I actually saw one in the wild not long ago, but it wasn't complete, and finding those 8-pin connectors seems to be even harder than finding the remote.

I see you just had yours recently serviced...mind saying who did it for you?
I'm in NY, so getting it to your service guy wouldn't work...but I'm trying to find someone who is at least familiar with these that I can ask some questions of...because the two amp modules behave in a way I'm not quite sure is right when it comes to level adjustments and calibration...they don't both appear to have the same effect on the levels.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by miroslav ➑️
I've got a 240...also no remote...would be nice, but I kinda use it mostly for my drums, so I don't have to get down at the unit to change the time too often.
Still...I do check the interwebs occasionally to see if a remote comes up. I actually saw one in the wild not long ago, but it wasn't complete, and finding those 8-pin connectors seems to be even harder than finding the remote.

I see you just had yours recently serviced...mind saying who did it for you?
I'm in NY, so getting it to your service guy wouldn't work...but I'm trying to find someone who is at least familiar with these that I can ask some questions of...because the two amp modules behave in a way I'm not quite sure is right when it comes to level adjustments and calibration...they don't both appear to have the same effect on the levels.
Repair guy is a local custom tube amp guy. I have a Hiwatt DR200 clone from him. It totally rocks. Weighs a tonne but damn, it sounds so good. If your 240 is noisy its probably the old op amps that are no longer made. My tech found some NOS ones and swapped all 5 of them and when one of the op amps initially went out it took a couple caps and resistors out with it. He replaced those too. Luckily it wasn't the piezos.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d.finley ➑️
Repair guy is a local custom tube amp guy. I have a Hiwatt DR200 clone from him. It totally rocks. Weighs a tonne but damn, it sounds so good. If your 240 is noisy its probably the old op amps that are no longer made. My tech found some NOS ones and swapped all 5 of them and when one of the op amps initially went out it took a couple caps and resistors out with it. He replaced those too. Luckily it wasn't the piezos.
No...mine isn't noisy.
I just can't seem to get the same level adjustments out of both amp modules.
One has full control of level...the other only seems to change a small amount when I use the same settings on both...yet I have good output out of both channels.

It sounds good and seems to work OK...but it's weird that only one module has any significant affect on level changes.
I need to spend some time and take a closer look and make sure of what is happening...but hey, it's old...so no surprise of it needs some work.

Thanks for your input.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yes. Lexicon 300, Lexicon PCM-90, Korg DRV-3000, SPX-90II
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
AKG BX20
Bricasti M7
EMT140, 251
Eventide FL201
Korg GR1, SDD1000, SDD1200 (2x)
Lexicon 300, PCM70, PCM60
Roland RE-201, SDD330, SRV2000
TC 2290, M5000, Reverb 4000
Ursa Major Space Station
Vermona Phaser 80
Yamahe SPX900 (2x), SPX990 (2x), SPX1000

Why should I use a bad ITB copy of these if I have them around here since decades?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Same here...I like a lot of reverb plugins, and may incorporate them into the mixing process...but I always use my hardware units during mixing.

The Bricasti M7, TC 4000 and the EMT 240 are my main hardware reverbs...and then I have some older Roland boxes that I use for peripheral reverb/fx stuff if needed, and finally there's my old Multivox MX-201, which is a tape delay like the Roland RE-201, but has a spring reverb that can be mixed in with the delay from some old-school analog space vibe.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've owned so many reverbs over the eons. The only thing I'd trust now is a plate or a real room.

I will never buy an electronic-box reverb again. I had Lexicons/Yamahas that stopped working after ten years, displays went out, my brand new bx20 lasted 12 years and then developed a random glitch signal somewhere in the spring path that akg couldn't fix....not to mention the inside foam was falling apart after a few years.......

I'm fine with plugins and have been for close to 20 years with no surprises. Computer slaves fail here and there, but once another is slapped into the daw farm and the plug-reinstalled, no problem.

I ESPECIALLY hate the ever popular lcd display failure on boxed reverbs.

No more. Ever!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle ➑️
I've owned so many reverbs over the eons. The only thing I'd trust now is a plate or a real room.

I will never buy an electronic-box reverb again. I had Lexicons/Yamahas that stopped working after ten years, displays went out, my brand new bx20 lasted 12 years and then developed a random glitch signal somewhere in the spring path that akg couldn't fix....not to mention the inside foam was falling apart after a few years.......

I'm fine with plugins and have been for close to 20 years with no surprises. Computer slaves fail here and there, but once another is slapped into the daw farm and the plug-reinstalled, no problem.

I ESPECIALLY hate the ever popular lcd display failure on boxed reverbs.

No more. Ever!

All my old gear, 20/30 yeard old, never failed.
I changed one display on one of them after 25 years.
You should expect some maintenance work on these lovely boxes.
It's a due act of respect for what they give back.
They all sound better than any plug... they all will last than any plug.
Gotta show them some love!

Last edited by italo de angelis; 4 weeks ago at 10:25 AM..
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by italo de angelis ➑️
All my old gear, 20/30 yeard old, never failed.
I changed one display on one of them after 25 years.
You should expect some maintenance work on these lovely boxes.
It's a due act of respect for what they give back.
They all sound better than any plug... they all will last than any plug.
Gotta show them sove love!
Yeah...the LCD displays are not that hard to swap/fix on most boxes.
I had two older Roland units with the displays going dim...found some replacements for the back-light, a bit of work to get it cut to the right size and make the connections, but it all worked out fine...bright and ready to go another 20 years!

Even real plates breakdown...and they can be tough, the big plates.
I've not ever touched them...but I did overhaul my EMT 240. I opened up the main case, cleaned it up inside, checked/cleaned all the electronic contacts, re-tensioned the springs that hold the tank, but I didn't touch the tank.
I hear those are very delicate and easily destroyed if you don't know what you are doing.
πŸ“ Reply