The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is anyone still using hardware reverb units?
Old 7th October 2020 | Show parent
  #1231
Lives for gear
 
italo de angelis's Avatar
 

Would probably need to ask Bob Chidlaw or Chris Moore to be sure.

No need really. Just patch an LFO to them, if possible, and listen to the ugly artifacts...



3. The additional KDFX routings and processing PLUS the further processing in one or more loops (w, w/o cross-feed) that is possible in the special configuration I mentioned, makes the number of overall Multi-effects I can create EXPLODE combinatorially. In other words, what if I told you something like this: "Hey, Italo, I have put your Korg DL-8000 in a box and in that new box, here are a ton of new DSP units you can chain and modulate and arrange in one or more feedback loops with the original Korg Delays, including additional cross-feed paths"? Even without interpolated delays in the Korg, I'm sure you get an inkling of the possibilities here.

Nope! Done that, been there. No mods... no go!




This is a radical Opening a World of Possibilities, so I am unfazed by any limitations you can think of right now (though noted and can be a worthwhile thing to explore either by emulation or integrating known hardware or building some at one point. In fact, integrating a new analogue or digital hardware with additional capabilities in this setup is easy - as easy as using an insert Y-cable and plugging the hardware there, just like you'd do on a mixer channel for instance).

Again, I had no need to buy anything new compared to what I already had two decades ago. I don't need to write a file to enable any of this. This is all already in my hardware and can be known just by paying attention and taking the perspective of Effects (V.A.S.T. as an extension of KDFX) rather than Synthesis (KDFX as an extension of V.A.S.T.) this time. The actual overall architecture is hinted at merely in one short paragraph in the docs and in that paragraph, a mere sentence opens up many, many avenues. Went unnoticed by everyone. Apart from me that is, as I already synthesized some radical new sounds twenty years ago via a method not even mentioned by Kurzweil thanks to this architecture...

[EDIT: What I'm taken up with currently during bouts of lucidity, on top of dealing with sickness]

Well... glad you got there.
I think I'm beyond... by using 4 open platform Eventides, two PCMs and the Korg... just to name a few. I can build from scratch, patch anything to anything, have totally free digital and analog routings, overall more power than the Kurzs (2 H8000s and 2 Orvilles) and definitely openness to create just about anything.... but there are basic rules you can't go past... modulating a non interpolated delay won't sound any good, no matter the hardware, brands, software. It just sounds plain ugly. You should already know that by now....
Old 7th October 2020 | Show parent
  #1232
Lives for gear
 
italo de angelis's Avatar
 

Usually when you get interpolated delays, LFOs are also included inside the algorithm. I have never seen one without the other.
The interpolation is necessary because if you use any source to modulate delay time, be it an Lfo or an envelope, the delay will sound like continuous glitches.
I have 12 multi-fx here, from different brands, and I have owned/used many others.... it was true for all of them.
Usually non interpolated delays are used to save up DSP resources and because a specific algorithm doesn't call for modulation, like early reflections of a reverb.
So... I don't know why you didn't notice them as they are really ugly.
Maybe you don't hear/notice them? Try a single delay line, aroung 24 ms and patch it to an LFO to get a chorus. It would sound with many clicks as the delay time would jump step up and down instead of changing smoothly.
Maybe Kurz folks only or mostly used interpolated delays?
Hard to know without having a Kurz in my hands. Been looking for a KSP8 for a long time but they are VERY hard to find and they are not exactly holding up well. Issues here and there....





Quote:
Originally Posted by YashN View Post
In that case, already done that decades ago and noticed no such ugly artifacts at all, ever.

In fact, I had built Cakewalk (should give you an idea of how old these experiments are) panels to do realtime mods of all KDFX parameters, from the DAW and automatable on tracks.

What does that tell you?

1. Either the Kurz guys already did the job properly or the thing can be internally tamed with the parameters in which case we can stay within some thresholds to mitigate while modulating. I personally wouldn't be surprised at all.

2. Or my hearing is defective. (fat chance!)

3. Or I am not attuned enough to these 'ugly artefacts' so I didn't recognise them. In that case, you can tell me when I post some of the experiments with audio - that would be cool.

Which one is more plausible?




Maybe you meant 'interpolation on the delays' here, because mods, we have plenty of those, on steroids



Sure, I get that but this wasn't about 'my gear being better than your setup' at all.



See my first reply above.

This also reminds me of an interesting thing: the one I did with the Synthesis perspective, with the radically new sounds created. These sounds also required modulating delays, just not something with as much movement as an LFO. They sounded awesome too.

So far, neither modulating the Delays with the LFOs (FX perspective) nor modulating the delays for synthesis sounded bad or anything even remotely like 'ugly artefacts'. [EDIT: Important to mention there are some caveats mentioned by Kurzweil themselves that I just saw in a Chorus implementation, but they also describe how to tame this. No idea yet how much of this transposes to the Delay-specific Algs. though.]

Actually, I have never ever heard anyone complain about such ugly artefacts when using LFOs on delays (or LFOs on any KDFX processing units) at all.

Nothing can stop me.
Old 7th October 2020
  #1233
Been using my Klark Teknik DN 780 Digital Reverb for a couple decades but it's recently developed an intermittent "cut out". Anyone work on these old units?
I use it with an old BBE 882 that really cleans up those tails.
Old 7th October 2020 | Show parent
  #1234
Here for the gear
 

These don't get used as often as they once did, not because they've been replaced, but because I just seem to be using less reverb these days.

That said, it's doubtful they will ever leave my rack.

Mic Mix Master Room XL-210


Biamp MR 140
Old 7th October 2020 | Show parent
  #1235
Lives for gear
 
Looneytune's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by italo de angelis View Post
Usually when you get interpolated delays, LFOs are also included inside the algorithm. I have never seen one without the other.
The interpolation is necessary because if you use any source to modulate delay time, be it an Lfo or an envelope, the delay will sound like continuous glitches.
I have 12 multi-fx here, from different brands, and I have owned/used many others.... it was true for all of them.
Usually non interpolated delays are used to save up DSP resources and because a specific algorithm doesn't call for modulation, like early reflections of a reverb.
So... I don't know why you didn't notice them as they are really ugly.
Maybe you don't hear/notice them? Try a single delay line, aroung 24 ms and patch it to an LFO to get a chorus. It would sound with many clicks as the delay time would jump step up and down instead of changing smoothly.
Maybe Kurz folks only or mostly used interpolated delays?
Hard to know without having a Kurz in my hands. Been looking for a KSP8 for a long time but they are VERY hard to find and they are not exactly holding up well. Issues here and there....
Would you share the 12 fx units you have? that must be a very nice collection.
Curious have you had any experience with the Sony Dps V77?
I purchased this after getting myself the H3000 and H8000 and I love it.

It is a very capable mention with an easy programming interface I find.
I also think the sound is great, especially the verbs.

I use it along side the H3000.
Old 8th October 2020 | Show parent
  #1236
Gear Maniac
 
YashN's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune View Post
Would you share the 12 fx units you have? that must be a very nice collection.
Not replying for him, but check out his sites (including his YT channel): he's done a lot of very cool stuff over the years, including for some of the big name manufacturers that people adore:

http://www.italodeangelis.com/it/eventide_and_other_stuff/


Listen to the demos as well.
Old 8th October 2020 | Show parent
  #1237
Lives for gear
 
Looneytune's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by YashN View Post
Not replying for him, but check out his sites (including his YT channel): he's done a lot of very cool stuff over the years, including for some of the big name manufacturers that people adore:

http://www.italodeangelis.com/it/eventide_and_other_stuff/


Listen to the demos as well.
Thanks so much for sharing, he has done allot of work on some of the gear I own.
Very interesting
Old 8th October 2020 | Show parent
  #1238
Gear Maniac
 
YashN's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune View Post
Thanks so much for sharing
Very interesting
Anytime
Old 8th October 2020 | Show parent
  #1239
Lives for gear
 
italo de angelis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune View Post
Would you share the 12 fx units you have? that must be a very nice collection.
Curious have you had any experience with the Sony Dps V77?
I purchased this after getting myself the H3000 and H8000 and I love it.

It is a very capable mention with an easy programming interface I find.
I also think the sound is great, especially the verbs.

I use it along side the H3000.
That Sony series is pretty good!
I have Eventide H8000/Eclipse/H3000/Orville/Reverb 2016, Lexicon 300, Pcm80, Pcm81, MPX1, MPX-G2, Roland DEP5, Rocktron Intellifex, Korg DL8000R.
Old 8th October 2020 | Show parent
  #1240
Lives for gear
 
italo de angelis's Avatar
 

"Yes - they have to have their delay line time smoothly interpolated when it is changed.
I know my Line6 Echo Pro, Symetrix 606, Eventide H8000FW, Korg Oasys PCI, and Kurzweil KSP8 all have this functionality. When you change time you get pitch sweeping that sounds like tape or whalesong. "

This is a very generic quote. The person clearly doesn't know his gear well. The H8000 doesn't use interpolated delays in all algorithms. When not needed... DSP resources are saved. But the cool thing is that one can replace them w/interpolated delays if needed. The Symetrix is a digital dual delay, not exactly a multi algorithm efx unit. The comparison doean't stand.



"DegenRegen" is also very nice too--and both the delay taps have modulation there too, in addition to all that extra textural stuff.

He's referring to an algorithm which has its internal Lfos. So... that only explains my point. If you look at the KSP8 algorithms manuals you'll see plenty of delay structures without LFOs and other with them. My point is that wherever you find LFOs, clearly delay lines must be interpolated. In those structures where no Lfos are available... only a test will tell the truth, patching an external Lfo to them and listening. Try the simple mono chorus test and you'll find out. I wouldn't be surprised if you get artifacts. That's the norm.
Old 8th October 2020 | Show parent
  #1241
Lives for gear
 
Looneytune's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by italo de angelis View Post
That Sony series is pretty good!
I have Eventide H8000/Eclipse/H3000/Orville/Reverb 2016, Lexicon 300, Pcm80, Pcm81, MPX1, MPX-G2, Roland DEP5, Rocktron Intellifex, Korg DL8000R.
Love, love that collection. My Lexicon PCM 80 died :(

I’m looking for another
Nice I love my Reverb 2016, it’s just so good.
Works on everything.
Old 8th October 2020 | Show parent
  #1242
Lives for gear
 
italo de angelis's Avatar
 

Some machines have algorithms internal LFOs and a set of system modulation sources including one or more LFOs.
Examples of this are the PCM80/81 the H3000 and Eclipse.
That doesn't guarantee any delay in any algorithm can be patched to them without glitches. The Lexicon Band Delays and Resonators are not interpolated.
All Eclipse Band Taps won't sound pleasant...
So the real discovery is a test, considering that good DSP design mostly avoids using heavier code efx when not needed. Those extra cycles can be used to improve other stages of the structure, often filters, or can be useful to run multiple algorithms when multiple engines are available. In the light of this if an Lfo isn't available inside an algorithm, its delays are very likely non interpolated.
There might be exceptions? Well... hard to know without a road test but I am sure that is a very tiny number if any... as DSP resources and power are finite, being a human world. So some kind of balanced judgement is generally used to design these structures keeping in mind what I said above. In general there are alternative interpolated delays structures that can be chosen anyway, when one doesn't like Lfos. But again.... test test test... and you'll find out.
Old 8th October 2020 | Show parent
  #1243
Lives for gear
 
italo de angelis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune View Post
Love, love that collection. My Lexicon PCM 80 died :(

I’m looking for another
Nice I love my Reverb 2016, it’s just so good.
Works on everything.
Yeah... it's ok but I'm not in the big enthusiast swarm about it. To me it sounds ok for small spaces, which are generally hard to design. But its character is a bit old to my ears. And i miss several algorithms I need, like Hall.
What happened to your PCM80?
Old 9th October 2020 | Show parent
  #1244
Lives for gear
 
Looneytune's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by italo de angelis View Post
Yeah... it's ok but I'm not in the big enthusiast swarm about it. To me it sounds ok for small spaces, which are generally hard to design. But its character is a bit old to my ears. And i miss several algorithms I need, like Hall.
What happened to your PCM80?
Well it just kept bypassing for some reason. I tried to get it fixed but the tech I took it to could not fix it so I ended up selling it on ebay and lost a lot of cash

So I ended up buying the Eventide Reverb 2016 in replacement which I love BTW. It is so easy to program and it just sounds so good to my ears. I was like hmm another Eventide box? my concern was there might be to much overlap between the 2016, 8000 and 3000 but it is very different, lucky for me. It's own little heaven reverb in a dedicated box which I use all the time.

For a long while I was on the look out for a PCM 70 but could not find one locally.

So today I use:
H8000
H3000
V77
2016
M7

For dirty stuff and for difference I use the Bam, Quadverb, Bigsky and H9.
My fav reverb, hmm has to be between the H8000, M7 and V77? But I can't make my mind up yet, as they equally sound beautiful and different to my ears. I really like how the H8000 reverb seems to be so WIDE, it is crazy. I will sometimes run a INIT synth sound through it and I could immediately use this sound with no further programming
I am reverb and delay junkie, could do complete mixes with just these two effects.
Old 9th October 2020 | Show parent
  #1245
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by in media res View Post
These don't get used as often as they once did, not because they've been replaced, but because I just seem to be using less reverb these days.

That said, it's doubtful they will ever leave my rack.

Mic Mix Master Room XL-210

Biamp MR 140
I thought by "hardware reverb units" we meant electro-mechanical.
Old 9th October 2020 | Show parent
  #1246
Gear Maniac
 
YashN's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by in media res View Post
I thought by "hardware reverb units" we meant electro-mechanical.
Nearly considered playing with building my own spring reverb + analogue delay lines once.
Old 10th October 2020 | Show parent
  #1247
Gear Head
which digital reverb hardware units use or are capable of interpolated delays?
Old 10th October 2020 | Show parent
  #1248
Lives for gear
 
italo de angelis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by userb420 View Post
which digital reverb hardware units use or are capable of interpolated delays?
Most of them are. All those offering modulation of some of the reverb internal delays are. The list would be too long to compile.
Here are some...
Lexicon 224XL/480/300/PCM70/80/81/90/91----
Eventide H3000/all 4000/7000/8000/9000 series/Orville/Eclipse----
Alesis Quadraverb all models
Kurzweil KSP8/Rumor/Mangler
Possibly all Ensoniq ones?
Several TC Electronic units (3000/4000/6000)
Bricasti w/V2 software
I'm sure there are more...
Old 13th October 2020 | Show parent
  #1249
Gear Maniac
 
YashN's Avatar
Here is a related thought:

What are alternative ways of making great-sounding reverbs (non-realistic but inspiring, more realistic) without necessitating the special implementation that also require randomisation/LFOs (those 'moving delays')?

Corollary: Which existing hardware units allow this?
Old 13th October 2020 | Show parent
  #1250
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune View Post
Well it just kept bypassing for some reason. I tried to get it fixed but the tech I took it to could not fix it so I ended up selling it on ebay and lost a lot of cash

So I ended up buying the Eventide Reverb 2016 in replacement which I love BTW. It is so easy to program and it just sounds so good to my ears. I was like hmm another Eventide box? my concern was there might be to much overlap between the 2016, 8000 and 3000 but it is very different, lucky for me. It's own little heaven reverb in a dedicated box which I use all the time.

For a long while I was on the look out for a PCM 70 but could not find one locally.

So today I use:
H8000
H3000
V77
2016
M7

For dirty stuff and for difference I use the Bam, Quadverb, Bigsky and H9.
My fav reverb, hmm has to be between the H8000, M7 and V77? But I can't make my mind up yet, as they equally sound beautiful and different to my ears. I really like how the H8000 reverb seems to be so WIDE, it is crazy. I will sometimes run a INIT synth sound through it and I could immediately use this sound with no further programming
I am reverb and delay junkie, could do complete mixes with just these two effects.
How does the 2016 compare to the BAM?
Are they comparable?
I'm planning on buying an M7 in the future and wonder what I should get as a character unit to complement it, important for me are hands on controls and both the BAM and the 2016 have that.
Old 13th October 2020 | Show parent
  #1251
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by YashN View Post
Here is a related thought:

What are alternative ways of making great-sounding reverbs (non-realistic but inspiring, more realistic) without necessitating the special implementation that also require randomisation/LFOs (those 'moving delays')?

Corollary: Which existing hardware units allow this?
All Quantec reverbs do not use delay lines but model reverb using resonances (like if you shout at an open piano it will create the impression of reverb) IIRC.
Old 22nd October 2020 | Show parent
  #1252
Lives for gear
 
ghostwriter's Avatar
Put me down as a yes.

Ghost
Attached Thumbnails
Is anyone still using hardware reverb units?-invqhs6pqso-clix6kvgtw.jpg   Is anyone still using hardware reverb units?-fullsizeoutput_1a7.jpg  
Old 23rd October 2020
  #1253
Lives for gear
 
noah330's Avatar
I sold my Lexicon PCM-81 and 91, Behringer V-Verb, Dynachord DRP-15 and SPX-90. I still have a Korg DRV-3000 and like it for a few weird things.

If I could find a nice Lexicon 300L I would probably buy it. I do still use my old Fender Reverb Unit from the 1960s, a dead mint RE-201 Space Echo I traded a guy a Cyber Twin for and a plate reverb I built myself.
Old 23rd October 2020 | Show parent
  #1254
Lives for gear
 
Looneytune's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwriter View Post
Put me down as a yes.

Ghost
Lovely! Freaking love it
We have the same taste in gear.

Last edited by Looneytune; 23rd October 2020 at 04:50 AM.. Reason: Darn autocorrect I hate hate it so
Old 23rd October 2020 | Show parent
  #1255
Gear Maniac
 
YashN's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by italo de angelis View Post
Would probably need to ask Bob Chidlaw or Chris Moore to be sure.

No need really. Just patch an LFO to them, if possible, and listen to the ugly artifacts...

3. The additional KDFX routings and processing PLUS the further processing in one or more loops (w, w/o cross-feed) that is possible in the special configuration I mentioned, makes the number of overall Multi-effects I can create EXPLODE combinatorially. In other words, what if I told you something like this: "Hey, Italo, I have put your Korg DL-8000 in a box and in that new box, here are a ton of new DSP units you can chain and modulate and arrange in one or more feedback loops with the original Korg Delays, including additional cross-feed paths"? Even without interpolated delays in the Korg, I'm sure you get an inkling of the possibilities here.

Nope! Done that, been there. No mods... no go!


This is a radical Opening a World of Possibilities, so I am unfazed by any limitations you can think of right now (though noted and can be a worthwhile thing to explore either by emulation or integrating known hardware or building some at one point. In fact, integrating a new analogue or digital hardware with additional capabilities in this setup is easy - as easy as using an insert Y-cable and plugging the hardware there, just like you'd do on a mixer channel for instance).

Again, I had no need to buy anything new compared to what I already had two decades ago. I don't need to write a file to enable any of this. This is all already in my hardware and can be known just by paying attention and taking the perspective of Effects (V.A.S.T. as an extension of KDFX) rather than Synthesis (KDFX as an extension of V.A.S.T.) this time. The actual overall architecture is hinted at merely in one short paragraph in the docs and in that paragraph, a mere sentence opens up many, many avenues. Went unnoticed by everyone. Apart from me that is, as I already synthesized some radical new sounds twenty years ago via a method not even mentioned by Kurzweil thanks to this architecture...

[EDIT: What I'm taken up with currently during bouts of lucidity, on top of dealing with sickness]

Well... glad you got there.
I think I'm beyond... by using 4 open platform Eventides, two PCMs and the Korg... just to name a few. I can build from scratch, patch anything to anything, have totally free digital and analog routings, overall more power than the Kurzs (2 H8000s and 2 Orvilles) and definitely openness to create just about anything.... but there are basic rules you can't go past... modulating a non interpolated delay won't sound any good, no matter the hardware, brands, software. It just sounds plain ugly. You should already know that by now....
Thought about this again last night and mind also racing with the overall structure in my head - my personal overall goal is still exploring combinatorial explosions of structures in Kurzweil-land.. Will explain in a new post in the diary but it may take me some time.

I mapped it out all night, and there's even more than I thought inside this machine of mine, viewed from an FX perspective or even Synthesis perspective

Here are some thoughts:

1. We'll do our tests with your ideas of Delays and what you call 'mods'. We know what to expect here if we are using Allpasses, Delays w/o 'mods' or 'interpolation', Delays with 'mods'/'interpolation'.

We have to be clear about goals and conclusions and assumptions. I'll draft them, you can correct. We can do that in PM.

Short example here but we can sort out the details in PM:

Lexicon LXP-15 vs Kurzweil V.A.S.T. + KDFX but solely from the perspective of 'Allpasses, Delays and 'mods', FDN, and focusing on those glitches, and viewing this from the perspective of FDNs and Effects synthesis only.

- Specs of each, firmware versions.

- A set of audio clips, unlabeled, by pair, need to limit the number of pairs here (must tell me the instrument; I am more of a synth guy but I can use a guitar or two - acoustic and steel). I will propose a threshold where our investigation can stop, in PM. It seems reasonable to me, but you know this part better than me. The investigation can go further too, you will tell me if necessary.

Left ear is buggy - related to my condition, getting a bit better, still very painful. When I say too big to lose...it's not even a joke, and not even the only thing. I can try and make an assessment and I think I will hear glitches in a single ear if it is that obvious in some cases. However, I will let you be the final judge for each case here.

Then we learn something on that platform. We have some expectations to validate here and there. but I think overall, we know what to expect, i.e. without internal LFOs and 'mod' delays, glitches will be apparent.

There are some things I know better than anyone on that platform though (Synthesis perspective, underlying philosophies, flexibility and routing and how that radically opens up the world of possibilities.)

I mapped it all out last night and I think I know what's happening. Now mapping it out for me here, is me pacing around till 4a.m. ('you need to go to bed, it's 4 a.m., then finding out I am still pacing around at 5 a.m., sometimes noting structures down, and all these structures grossly ballooning inside my mind (with subsequent realtime UI/Control work ballooning too - still need to rationalise it to a subset, maybe paged).

Now there has been some major claims here and there and major push backs to my ideas too, as if there is only one type of Reverb implementation. I strongly disagree.

I will reiterate:

2. Kurzweil is a major DSP player. Chidlaw is a Genius too. Moore was there - that has meaning too. The Engineers and other people are great. They love making music themselves. Kurzweil Engineers have DSP chops. There was and still is very little chance of not having a fix for these glitches already if you are building a form of FDN + Allpasses + specific delays inside the machine. Therefore, there is a very big chance of useful structure combinatorial explosion here with the Effects design perspective and V.A.S.T. and that it all sounds very good

3. FDN + Allpasses + 'mod delays' is merely one particular method, and is certainly not the only way I can set the machine to work on Reverbs or other Effects including Delays, of my choosing within the platform. The issues with this particular method hardly matters to me in the Grand Scheme of things as I already said because neither these issues or this particular method, nor you, can stop me from doing further exploration of these new structures and methods for building both Effects and Instruments, using other methods or emulations thereof (there is a World of Possibilities in this to explore), past, present or future (methods as yet unknown, and may be discovered along the way)

Additionally, since this is a Kurzweil platform, these alternate methods will also sound excellent. (caveat: there may be some settings to avoid still)

(I have a sense of deja vu here for some reason - I expect someone to take a jab at 'combinatorial explosion' or something like that.)

If you still disagree about 2 & 3, we might need to consider a first for me: make a bet on each.

Here is what was said:

Me: "3. The additional KDFX routings and processing PLUS the further processing in one or more loops (w, w/o cross-feed) that is possible in the special configuration I mentioned, makes the number of overall Multi-effects I can create EXPLODE combinatorially. In other words, what if I told you something like this: "Hey, Italo, I have put your Korg DL-8000 in a box and in that new box, here are a ton of new DSP units you can chain and modulate and arrange in one or more feedback loops with the original Korg Delays, including additional cross-feed paths"? Even without interpolated delays in the Korg, I'm sure you get an inkling of the possibilities here."

You: "Nope! Done that, been there. No mods... no go!
"

(NB: These two: #2 & #3 , have no bearing and nothing to do with our investigation described further above for the audio comparisons of FDN + Allpass + 'mod'/'interpolated' delay)


Last edited by YashN; 24th October 2020 at 03:46 AM.. Reason: Precision... sense of deja vu...
Old 24th October 2020 | Show parent
  #1256
Lives for gear
 
italo de angelis's Avatar
 

YashN

this is your project. You should follow it and see where it may take you.
Personally, I just described a very particular situation about interpolated delays and how they are available or not in all products out there.
Now... I have NO IDEA about what you are going after and sure... there are many ways to build a reverb. One that sounds really good? Not so many.
I might say something once in a while but be aware that I'm not very interested at the moment. I have worked enough on structures and nuked many of them too... not really a burning desire to go thru these things again.
Go ahead and find out! You'll be surprised.
Old 24th October 2020 | Show parent
  #1257
Lives for gear
 
Jamz's Avatar
Quantec 2492 Yardstick still on the front lines at my place.
Old 25th October 2020 | Show parent
  #1258
Gear Maniac
 
YashN's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by italo de angelis View Post
YashN
this is your project. You should follow it and see where it may take you.
No prob. See below. I will remove the above - feeling quite OK today, but still need some rest - as I think I wrote too much and the content doesn't come across properly.

Quote:
Personally, I just described a very particular situation about interpolated delays and how they are available or not in all products out there.
Yes, a very particular one, one that most implementations go after because this problem area is well-known and it follows a usual assumption or automatic reflex somewhere which is not necessarily the best thing.

Quote:
Now... I have NO IDEA about what you are going after
This I know. I am chasing some elusive implementations but I needed to enable many more combos first. That solution space in V.A.S.T. with all the new routings is huge! In addition, the implementations are non-intuitive for people who go straight for the reflex and accompanying problem set above.

Quote:
and sure... there are many ways to build a reverb.
There you go.

Quote:
One that sounds really good? Not so many.
This, I'll be able to see, and I have much more options now that I know that I can use all the things you dismissed outright initially. Combinatorial explosion back again and this includes many, many more types of effects now, so big solution space to wade in.

Sure, I still need to stop and listen, and potentially throw away some or many of them, but the limitations you thought existed in my search space aren't there - the approach itself is different.

Quote:
I might say something once in a while but be aware that I'm not very interested at the moment. I have worked enough on structures and nuked many of them too... not really a burning desire to go thru these things again.
Well, I am back to where I wanted to be initially, just spent more time trying to explain my process and people framing my exploration with the limitations of their particular implementation, so it wasn't really relevant.

Not too big of a problem for me, and feel free to chime in because you may hear something interesting, but these structures aren't the ones you would expect seeing all your posts above. You would say 'no' immediately on visuals only.

I probably will post audio for all to hear. Implementation details, that's another matter - I have plans but limited energy.

Quote:
Go ahead and find out! You'll be surprised.
That was the plan all along. But the surprise(s) will have a very different effect on audition compared to what you're expecting.

There are 2 or 3 specific paths I want to take, so that's going to be interesting for sure. Must take some time for reading up here.

For the rest of the explorations, I have multiplied the routings a lot, so there's a lot of new possibilities to chain blocks. However, I might pause a little for research before diving in with editing and audition.

A bit tired tonight, penultimate antibiotic pill, I am looking forward to tomorrow.

I re-tested some of the recirculation configurations in my setup, but I can hardly get a reproducible config. I don't know what the issue is. It could be I have too many custom objects. I also need to check some voltages and calibration on the KDFX install tomorrow.

It is quite a big issue because I would like to work on all the new Synthesis and the new Effects configurations. For now, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Hard to make good progress like that.

When it worked the first time though, I thought 'BBC Radiophonic Workshop!'.

Most probably I'll have to re-flash the whole machine: OS and stock Objects. I lose a little on the custom sounds, interactive patterns side, but that's OK, I can always back them up first, and lose some immediate future flexibility.

Necessary though as it will be a nightmare to produce new sounds and new effects with any consistency otherwise. This machine usually is super consistent. The new modes are taxing it perhaps, not sure. We'll see.

Also, I am still loading from floppy. Need to order that SCSI-2-sdCard. I think I also need the floppy reader there simultaneously though.

A domani!
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #1259
Lives for gear
Still using Lexicon 224, Bricasti, Eventide H8000 and H9 for reverb.
Old 1 week ago
  #1260
So I've recently got hold of a Yamaha A3000 sampler. I decided to make a video to show all the settings on my SPX90, SPX900 and A3000units with the same drum pattern, so people can compare and decide which one might sound best.

If I had to pick only one, I think I would probably have bought the A3000 to be honest. They are cheap and pretty gritty, plus it's a sampler too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfbRL5kKTDA
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 109 views: 28770
Avatar for Sypowicz
Sypowicz 1 week ago
replies: 397 views: 111827
Avatar for zmix
zmix 25th December 2019
replies: 63 views: 20389
Avatar for seancostello
seancostello 26th April 2012
replies: 77 views: 8174
Avatar for TheLastByte
TheLastByte 6th November 2017
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump