The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is anyone still using hardware reverb units?
Old 3rd December 2017
Lives for gear

Is anyone still using hardware reverb units?

I am, and it's not digital.
Old 3rd December 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfoxxx View Post
Oh yeah def lost in translation. I only speak 3 languages Natively, none of them German, I am sorry.

I was talking about the DIY marginal unit. Not an EMT.
Okay that makes sense now.

The home made plate is built by some New Zealand guy.

It sounds a lot better than it looks.
Old 3rd December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowmat View Post
You may think this very rudimentary DIY plate reverb made out of recycled steel sheet from the back of an old filing cabinet and a mixer made out of a cake tin should sound as marginal as it looks. However before you jump to conclusions check it out.

Yes, that sounds very nice!
Old 3rd December 2017
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowmat View Post
Okay that makes sense now.

The home made plate is built by some New Zealand guy.

It sounds a lot better than it looks.
Yeah thing is that usually I'm at work, and while rendering or waiting for projects to load I drop by and check out the conversation so I'm not paying like 100% attention while I write. So it may sound weird what I write or ambiguous.

Nice find BTW.
Old 6th December 2017
Lives for gear

I just picked up an Eventide Reverb 2016 on a trade. It sounds fantastic.
Old 6th December 2017
Lives for gear

I mix hybrid but a lot of it is outside the box, for those tracks I've got nine hardware reverbs in one of my outboard racks and we've got several more in our warehouse room that come out to play at times. Everything is available in a 1400 point patch bay system.

The PCM92 is almost always on the vocal track and clients always say "wow that reverb sounds really incredible". I've never gotten that result or comment with a plugin reverb.

While cutting tracks all my monitoring is ITB, then when it's time to mix I can send as much as I want to my 40 channel Soundcraft/Neve mixer where I've got parallel compression and dedicated hardware Lexicon reverb on the snare track. The drums spring to life coming through the Soundcraft, the difference in sound is amazing (also due to the parallel compression on the drum submix).

I have a couple of TC Reverbs that get used on instruments in the Soundcraft, having multiple reverbs keeps the sound from being boring and flat, each has its own color and character, I tweak the pre delay and decay time on each depending on the tempo of the song.

Having and adjusting hardware effects keeps me "hands on" and not just choosing a preset, being involved with the sound helps me get it where I want it faster and easier. Whatever works for you is all that matters. If I was starting over today I'd be ITB lol.

Good music to all!
Old 6th December 2017
I use a convolution reverb, Aether, Cubase reverb, Lexicon and Waves plug in's when I want that metalic sound.

The sound of reverb was very important in the 80'S and only certain hardware reverbs gave the sound people wanted. Now it's just in the background and you don't notice it as much. I doubt anyone would ever complain or notice if a plug in reverb was used and felt it was inferior to hardware.
Granted plug in's don' t sound the same as high end reverb units but they still sound great, are much easier, faster to use, you can apply multiple different reverbs on a song, plus save your settings for each reverb.
Old 6th December 2017
Lives for gear

Colour me intrigued.
Care to share pictures and some sound samples?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
Thanks yeah. I was lugging it home from work and banged it against something. Suddenly, I was in the Royal Albert Hall. Well, kinda
Old 6th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by mig27 View Post
Colour me intrigued.
Sure. Friend is borrowing it at the moment. I'll have it back soon, and post a few pics and files.
Old 6th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post

The sound of reverb was very important in the 80'S and only certain hardware reverbs gave the sound people wanted. Now it's just in the background and you don't notice it as much. I doubt anyone would ever complain or notice if a plug in reverb was used and felt it was inferior to hardware.
This is a good point, that reverb is just not a big deal in most modern music.

I also remind myself that on Beck's Morning Phase record, which won Grammys and has buckets of reverb all over it....was mostly done with DVerb!
Old 6th December 2017
Gear Guru

Reverb.com just released a list of the most popular guitar effects pedals of 2017. Anyway, "reverb" pedals were the most popular ones on the whole list. hehe.

Followed by delay... with a little bit of overdrive thrown in, and loopers... you sort of get the idea of what people sound like now.
Old 6th December 2017
Lives for gear

I have an M-one that's been sitting in my rack, unused, unhooked-up, and collecting dust for many years. After reading that a bunch of people in this thread still use it, maybe I should pull it out of retirement.

Plugins are just so darned convenient though.
Old 6th December 2017
Gear Addict

Sometimes I'm using just only 8-9 HW units on the whole mix, sounds great. But also sometimes depending on project all just ITB.

SDE-2000, Alesis Midiverb III, LXP15, PCM91, Rev-7, MPX-1 x 2 with fantastic Michael De Angelis presets, SRV-330, M7, H-3000 although started using H-3000 plugin more;

truckload of plugins;
Old 6th December 2017
Lives for gear

Low End Theory: LXP-1's and LXP 5's with the MRC midi controller, MXP 550, Pioneer SR-202 (solid state SR-101), and a goofy 70's unit I have to assume is a spring, but doesn't particularly sound like it and never opened it up, but I may just do that!
Old 7th December 2017
Here for the gear

I have m-one xl, tc m3000, lexicon PCM 70, Yamaha spx2000. These I use for karaoke. My favorite right now is the tc m3000 for the lush and very useful presets and super easy to use.
Old 7th December 2017
Gear Addict

A question:

Many of these reverb rack units are digital, no?

Is there truly a quality advantage to having a digital reverb out of the box as opposed to in the box? And what would account for that?

I don’t have a lot of experience with reverb units, but my basic thoughts would be, if it’s not a true spring or plate unit, there really wouldn’t be much difference with others because digital is digital, no?
Old 7th December 2017
Gear Addict

It was debated so many times There is a difference between HW and SW, for me personally it’s about a character I’d like to add to mix. I use M7 alongside with 7H pro and it works great.
Old 7th December 2017
Lives for gear

I will probably never own a bricasti, but if you asked me 10 years ago if I would ever be using something as great as SHP itb I would have thought it not possible. I just chew on that last 10 - 15 % and try to write better songs to compensate.
Old 7th December 2017
Gear Nut

TC 4000, Lex 300 and Lex PCM 91 here. I do not mix with any reverb plugs but will use delay plugs.
Old 7th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Reverb.com just released a list of the most popular guitar effects pedals of 2017. Anyway, "reverb" pedals were the most popular ones on the whole list. hehe.

Followed by delay... with a little bit of overdrive thrown in, and loopers... you sort of get the idea of what people sound like now.
For guitar modern worship music, Strymon Blue and Big sky is very popular. You won't be using a $4,000 hardware or plug in reverb for that sound.

I heard the M7 and love the sound it provides. If money was not an issue I would own one. With that being said, thousands of great sounding recordings are made with just plug in reverbs. So it's not a deal breaker
Old 7th December 2017
I go back and forth between plugs and hardware, depending more on how I feel at the moment than anything else really... However I just consolidated my handful of outboard effects and routed them into my patchbay and/or extra interface i/o, so I'm stoked on using them more.

Nothing super fancy:
Lexicon MPX1: Actually love this thing sounds great
Vermona VSR3.2 Spring reverb: Need to tweak gain stage a lot but great on single inst
Lexicon MPX100: cheap but has a couple cool effects, don't use too much
Ibanez DM1000: Just got 2nd hand after watching a couple vid's, looks cool, 12 bit delay easy to tweak in real time...

I use the MPX1 the most and it just sounds better in the mix to me most the time, maybe do to just hitting some converters... For plugs I mainly use Valhalla VintageVerb, Soundtoy's new Little Plate and UAD Ocean Way... Love them all too
Old 11th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by mig27 View Post
Colour me intrigued.
Here ya go. I collected it back, set it up and did a quick recording of an old song of mine, using the tank on vocals only. Mono reverb for this, with an omni PL9 hanging in the tank. No stereo mic around at the moment. I drive it with an old Anchor powered speaker, sitting at the bottom outside there. I faded the tails, as you'll hear in the samples.

Notes... A quick home recording & mix; laid drums 2 mics, single ribbon behind my head and PL20 in kick. Guitars are '59 Tele & a Paul for rhythms. Lead is an old 335 MIJ copy antique store find, no brand. All played through 64 Vibrolux Reverb, no pedals. Bass is direct, Lakland & Radial JDI. Vox '69 U87.

Files are full mix, vox with tank and tank alone.

Attached Files

22 Days 12-11-17.mp3 (7.60 MB, 3991 views)

22 Days tank only.mp3 (2.94 MB, 3775 views)

22 Days Vox 12-11-17.mp3 (2.94 MB, 3744 views)

Old 11th December 2017
Gear Addict

Yeah tc m3000 and a eventide dsp7000 for me. If you can edit parameters on the dsp7000 I'm finding there are some amazing re verbs in masterverb hall, unreel room and black hole.
Old 11th December 2017
Gear Head
for tracking / layering I love my little collection of crappy hardware reverbs =) nothing like being able to turn a pot on the spur of the the moment!
Old 12th December 2017
Lives for gear
Lexicon PCM Reverb and especially Relabs LX480 convinced me that I could live without my hardware I sold everything except for my PCM 90 which has the Dual Reverb card which affectively makes it a PCM 90/91. I kept that for my live rig. I totally get when people say that hardware adds a bit more dimension over software.

My goal as far as reverb goes is to get that lushness found on Becks Morning Phase album. Though it was lush, it wasn't muddy. Talk about crafty. That reverb is amazing. I have heard/read that D-Verb was involved, that may be true, but it wasn't just a matter of slapping a D-verb plugin into the mix.
Old 12th December 2017
Quote:
Here ya go. I collected it back, set it up and did a quick recording of an old song of mine, using the tank on vocals only. Mono reverb for this, with an omni PL9 hanging in the tank. No stereo mic around at the moment. I drive it with an old Anchor powered speaker, sitting at the bottom outside there. I faded the tails, as you'll hear in the samples.

Notes... A quick home recording & mix; laid drums 2 mics, single ribbon behind my head and PL20 in kick. Guitars are '59 Tele & a Paul for rhythms. Lead is an old 335 MIJ copy antique store find, no brand. All played through 64 Vibrolux Reverb, no pedals. Bass is direct, Lakland & Radial JDI. Vox '69 U87.

Files are full mix, vox with tank and tank alone.
Dude that looks and sounds pretty bad a$$, thanks for sharing. I feel I hear the reverb jump up a bit on those hard "t" sounds but all in all it's fantastic.
Old 12th December 2017
CEB
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrod View Post

My goal as far as reverb goes is to get that lushness found on Becks Morning Phase album. Though it was lush, it wasn't muddy. Talk about crafty. That reverb is amazing. I have heard/read that D-Verb was involved, that may be true, but it wasn't just a matter of slapping a D-verb plugin into the mix.
They printed a lot of chambers (Capitol Studios, Ocean Way/United Recording), and I'm sure some plates were involved.

There's an interview with Tom Elmhirst about the mixing of that record.

I'm sure there's plenty of D-Verb as well, but I doubt Beck has ever used just one reverb on one of his records.
Old 12th December 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Here ya go.
Yeah.... that sounds really good
Old 12th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
Oh shut up.
So glad my clients can't hear the difference between a Bricasti unit and a SPX 90 Staying with the 4 TC units, for now ...
Old 12th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Yeah.... that sounds really good
Neat contraption, for sure.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search