The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Is anyone still using hardware reverb units?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru
Sorry to get involved in a blackhole echo chamber.,,,, I could also see using a Bricasti for conversion since I'd imagine it must be a helluva box!......
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
Sorry to get involved in a blackhole echo chamber.,,,, I could also see using a Bricasti for conversion since I'd imagine it must be a helluva box!......
And I'd put a nice stereo EQ in front of it trying how the verb buildup (delays network as it is) will change in tone. Done this with several other verbs and the results are amazing!
The echoes building up the reverb tail do boost or tame frequencies owing to different factors. It's really nice to try this and find out the kind of 3-dimensionality some frequencies can have in a reverb. It dramatically changes what you can get from any reverb machine,
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by italo de angelis View Post
And I'd put a nice stereo EQ in front of it trying how the verb buildup (delays network as it is) will change in tone. Done this with several other verbs and the results are amazing!
The echoes building up the reverb tail do boost or tame frequencies owing to different factors. It's really nice to try this and find out the kind of 3-dimensionality some frequencies can have in a reverb. It dramatically changes what you can get from any reverb machine,

I like these types of posts.

Even though I don't necessarily see myself buying any presets, I still appreciate the fact that Italo will drop nuggets of wisdom for us to experiment with at home.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Two things everyone on GS should remember:

1. Don't touch the poo (Or don't feed the trolls or whatever expression you like)

2. Ignore is your friend.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I found this funky a$$ little thing in a junk shop two weeks ago.

It's a Kwai....4R? It's a mixer, it has 4 stereo inputs (All ins and outs are -10 +4 switchable, all ins and outs balanced 1/4")

It has a Left/right knob on each channel, left starting at 12 goes 0-11 for the external (Stere0) FX loop)

RIGHT however starting at noon goes 0-11 for an INTERNAL reverb....WEIRD! This thing is small....It also two OTHER sets of stereo ins, one is an aux-in for the master...I think there is a master bus insert as well....and another set of ins that takes the send (Rev or external) out of the master if somethings plugged in, this has multiple potential uses, but it was intended so you could "Cascade" the mixer (Buy ultiple units and patch them together)

Is it good? I dunno...I love funky gear so much I honestly can't tell yet...FUNKAY!!

But seriously, find a good room, run your tracks out a speaker and record REAL reverb......It's not even close...you'll never go back if you start doing it.

Digital reverb is was and always has been GARBAGE.
Old 4 weeks ago
got rid of my 480L years ago... with the advent of sonsig and polyverse's comet i can let go of the bricasti now
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

oh come on. digital reverb is one of the greatest innovations of 20th century music.

continue dramatic scary music from earlier in the thread.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post

Digital reverb is was and always has been GARBAGE.

I know. Lexicon, Quantec, Bricasti, TC . . . . all that digital stuff sucks.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

I use hardware reverbs because they interface better with my analog console that I use to mix with. For me, everything is about workflow and ergonomics. Plugin reverbs sound great, as do hardware reverbs, so sound limitations have nothing to do with my desisions because I feel that I can get great sounding reverbs either way. But, if I want to be able to adjust reverb levels on the sends of my analog console, it's far more practical to use hardware reverbs, which also gives me the excuse to use all those great hardware reverbs I loved in the 80's.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

World is like a box of chocolate, you never know what you get. Sometimes it is nice and sweet, but sometimes it tastes like a ....
Old 3 weeks ago
I still use a Lex 300L, always love it especially the very small ambient banks and the Larc is so immediate.

I also use a couple microphones in a 'chamber' (whichever room in the house I feel like using at the moment, a little predelay to this and it's hard to beat plus it's totally unique to the space).

And I've got a TC MOne XL that sometimes gets use. And of course the obligatory spring reverb that gets trotted occasionally.

But I'm not ITB and if I was I'd probably go with whatever the kids are using these days as I prefer real sounding verb to the artificial sound of say a 224. Usually though I prefer delays over reverbs for creating artificial space.

Lex 300L
Valhalla/Shimmer on Tiptop DSP
TC MOne XL
A couple Doepfer springs
Rooms w/mics

Last edited by bkbirge; 2 weeks ago at 04:21 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Italo has some good advice for HW boxes...
It's sort of funny that my outboard has followed some of Italo's hits...

Nothing wrong with selling IP. But there is always some ******* trying to bring us down... Probably in price hahahaha

If you don't like Italo's suggestions leave it!

Or if you don't dig his presets make some of your own, quoting my fave newsman, Scoop Nisker! News for the people!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Speaking of hardware reverbs -

I like this guy. He has a pretty good gear review channel. I had never heard about this new unit. What do you think? The first 4 minutes is the unboxing - if you want to cut to the meat it's around 4:00
Old 2 weeks ago
pho
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
...if you want to cut to the meat it's around 4:00
Wow, what a nice unit! Heard of this thing a couple of times before but that's the first time I'm actually listening to it. There goes my tax refund...
Old 2 weeks ago
I use only hardware , starting with a Bricasti M7, Kurzweil KSP8 w analog output board, TC R4000, Lex PCM 90, Dynacord DRP 20, Roland SRV 330, Eventide H3000
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Btw, I'm non-digital verb guy but a friend (world famous top engineer who used the best chambers known to man) ...he now likes and uses plugin verbs ! ! ! HEE!
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
Speaking of hardware reverbs -

I like this guy. He has a pretty good gear review channel. I had never heard about this new unit. What do you think? The first 4 minutes is the unboxing - if you want to cut to the meat it's around 4:00
Just saw this. Those motorized knobs...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progmatic-Studios View Post
Just curious.
Is anyone still using hardware reverb units in the studio since we have a LOT of awesome reverb plugins like Valhalla, Lexicon, UAD and Relab etc?
For me it's all about long lush verbs for mostly synths
Have you used the Lecxicon 300 or the PCM96-S?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
I use only hardware , starting with a Bricasti M7, Kurzweil KSP8 w analog output board, TC R4000, Lex PCM 90, Dynacord DRP 20, Roland SRV 330, Eventide H3000
I like your choice!
There are very big differences in algorithms design and tonal characters in your array.... and the Kurz IS a killer!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I like your choice!
.... and the Kurz IS a killer!
I have been on the hunt for one of those from time to time. They are hard to come by these days.
Old 2 weeks ago
Today I mixed a synthwave track with a heavy Blade Runner vibe and I thought the plugin reverbs sounded pretty good, then I turned on my Lexicon and what a difference, I recorded the reverbs for each track (because I'm mixing ITB) and it sounds so much better that way, more real, more cinematic, it's more work but its totally worth it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Bricasti M7 for reverb and Lexicon PCM 92 for delays, through a console.

Occasionally use SSL and Waves Abbey Road Chambers ITB. Occasionally.
Old 2 weeks ago
One thing I really like about the Lexicon MPX-1 is how you can use the input signal to change reverb parameters in real time using the envelope as a control source, you even have two Env controllers so you can set one to be more sensitive to the input changes and a slower one, so you can for example patch the Env controller to the low pass filter frequency so you have a brighter reverb sound when the snare hits harder and a darker tone with ghost notes, you can have the room size change or the shape and spead, no plug in I've used can touch this, you can patch a random controller and have the shape or reverb spread change randomly and even sync the random controller to tempo, how cool is that?
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
I like your choice!
There are very big differences in algorithms design and tonal characters in your array.... and the Kurz IS a killer!
yes the Kurz is Killer especially since you can have 4 stereo instances of it. I find no matter what the patches on the KSP8 ALWAYS sit great in the track. I love the M7 in particular the V2 Rich Plate patch, the problem is I need another one.

Last edited by Musiclab; 2 weeks ago at 01:27 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Anyone else than me who tried using an interface on a laptop like a hardware fx?

I just tried that.. hooking it up to an aux on my console and back.. the few ms. Of latency is just predelay, Works nicely.
Im using appollo twin for that..

So its a plugin effect, but feels like hardware since its send and return through the console like my other effect units.

Feels good to be able to dial in a lex, eventide or ams rmx 16 on a real aux pot on the console.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario-C. View Post
One thing I really like about the Lexicon MPX-1 is how you can use the input signal to change reverb parameters in real time using the envelope as a control source, you even have two Env controllers so you can set one to be more sensitive to the input changes and a slower one, so you can for example patch the Env controller to the low pass filter frequency so you have a brighter reverb sound when the snare hits harder and a darker tone with ghost notes, you can have the room size change or the shape and spead, no plug in I've used can touch this, you can patch a random controller and have the shape or reverb spread change randomly and even sync the random controller to tempo, how cool is that?
Riiiight...Lexicon MPX-1 on my buy list. Thanks Mario-C, now I have some more explaining to do to my wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister m View Post
Anyone else than me who tried using an interface on a laptop like a hardware fx?

I just tried that.. hooking it up to an aux on my console and back.. the few ms. Of latency is just predelay, Works nicely.

So its a plugin effect, but feels like hardware since its send and return through the console like my other effect units.

Feels good to be able to dial in a lex, eventide or ams rmx 16 on a real aux pot on the console.
Which DAW are you using? I`m doing the same thing in Cubase, with the external fx plugin, but it has latency compensation. I`ve got 8 outs/ins wired to a patchbay, but I have to upgrade soon. Need more! Starting to look at some DA/AD converters.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario-C. View Post
EXACTLY!
That's another aspect where hardware is king... internal modulators and the ability to patch parameters to them. This makes the effects a live part of a performance. I use it a lot. MPX1 has a cool set of modulators and 5 patches per preset. PCMs go up to 10 and you can do some great morphs too. Dynamic shaping of tone, effects, envelopes is just a whole art in itself that you don't easily find elsewhere. On the big Eventides I can even design, graphically, a modulation curve to control any parameter....
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I've had a MPX-1 for a long time, but have struggled with editing my own patches. Has anyone tried and had good luck with MIDI QUEST https://squest.com/Products/MidiQues...PX1/index.html or something similar? I recently picked up a MicroKorg Midi Editor https://micro-korg-editor.jimdo.com which has revived my interest in the synth. I'd love the same to happen for my MPX-1.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister m View Post

I did it for a while, don't have a console anymore but would still be doing that if I had.
2nd DAW running a VST rack, Steinberg 8ch interface, UAD duo.

Worked great!

Herwig
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search