The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Is anyone still using hardware reverb units?
Old 7th March 2019
  #631
Gear Head
Running Bricasti M7 and Yahmaha SPX90 into my Prism Orpheus-- great sound and no plugins can match so far.
Old 7th March 2019
  #632
Lives for gear
 
ionian's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Well played sir, well played.
Well, when I get to the point that I'm whining about wanting to buy one it usually means I'm almost there and I'm just looking for an enabler. You guys did well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulusound View Post
Fun box, no?
Definitely. I have an M7 and a PCM 81 as well and this complements them. Completely different character than either of them. It's really interesting and even though there's no modulation in the algorithm, even just putting it on snare, the character of the reverb does change a bit from hit to hit, which is fantastic. But it has a great character and I as soon as I put it on a snare and started tweaking it, I recognized it right away. Funny - I didn't notice it in the demos online but once I had one here and hearing it while I tweaked it, I realized how many drums this sound is on, on records - especially from the 80s.

I can't wait to try it on some other parts. It's a lot of fun so far - especially the ability to just tweak everything fast right from the front panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
I love mine. It doesn't suck.
I would have to concur.
Old 7th March 2019
  #633
Lives for gear
 
ionian's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayalanthomp View Post
Running Bricasti M7 and Yahmaha SPX90 into my Prism Orpheus-- great sound and no plugins can match so far.
I actually just bought an SPX II along with the 2016 (Once the wallet opens, it's hard to close). I have a very good friend who had a nice string of gold records through the 80s and 90s and he told me that when he and TLA were working out of Unique, none of the hits they mixed through the late 80s ever went out the door without Symphonic on the bass.

He told me that just a taste of it, not enough to be overly obvious will make a bass sit perfectly in a track and give it enough movement to be interesting. That there's magic in that patch and it's worth the box for that one trick alone.

Let's put it this way, when it comes to buying gear, I could care less if someone tells me it's garbage. I listen to the people who have the actual hits on their resume when it comes to knowing what gear gives the sounds on hit records. So I bought one.

I'm looking forward to digging into that one, too.
Old 8th March 2019
  #634
Deleted df98c51
Guest
I feel that way toward my Korg A3. Great reverbs.

Back in the early 90's I thought if I could buy that at $3000 or whatever sticker was, I would never need another guitar amp. The thing was ridiculously expensive new.

Here is me lollipoppin on preset 50,71, and 76. No tubes, all state. 16 bit gold.

A3guitar.wav - Google Drive

Trying to make a link. My USB thing is a 6i6 and I have no idea how to use it.
Old 19th March 2019
  #635
Gear Head
Great stuff! There is a depth of sound even to to SPX90 that can be really shocking (compared to plugs) when you fire it up- I wouldn't mind picking up an extra unit in order to have one dedicated to the Symphonic effect and the other primarily for reverb/rooms.
Old 23rd March 2019
  #636
Lives for gear
 
cjogo's Avatar





If only the SPX 90 had digital I/O -- had the 90 and REV 7 > back in the 80/90's . Our current rack effects connects (4 Stereo I/O ) all digitally to the DAW .. TC /Helicon/ in the racks = all sync at 48k

Last edited by cjogo; 23rd March 2019 at 04:37 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
  #637
Gear Maniac
i'd love to have a bricasti.

mostly i've always used some guitar pedals and vocal reverbs and delays. eh holy grail, mooger fooger delay, fulltone tape echo, earthquaker reverb, and for 20 year i used my old faithful sound workshop stereo spring reverb. have never found anything that sounds like it.

the demeter spring reverb was really cool too. i also used a pcm 70 and eventide h3000 up until maybe the mid 2000's when i started using mostly the ua plates and altiverb and some other software verbs.

i also loved the old lexicon lexiverb on my old protools mix rig. i kept that mix plus system with and apogee ad8000 just to run a separate protools rig for lexiverb. i treated it as a bunch of outboard reverb units.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #638
"Does anyone still use....."

Indeed. Really?

Why does everyone who uses plugins assume no one uses hw gear anymore??

I use Eventide Eclipse, Kurzweil's Rumour and Mangler, and occasionally Eventide H9

I also employ an Echoplex EP-3 and a T-Rex Replicator

I use zero plugins and no computers, either. I'm quite happy in my den of dinosaurs. Dozens of hot tubes and fat transformers warm the heart and please the ears. Tape feels good, sounds good and smells good. I listen to tracks and mixes with eyes closed, and they're miles deep and wide as the sea.

I lied. I do have a Lavender Glade plug-in in a wall socket across the room. It smells good, too.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #639
Lives for gear
 
vernier's Avatar
Yep, still using the torsional transmission line system ...(definitely hardware).
Old 3 weeks ago
  #640
Lives for gear
 
KevWind's Avatar
Yes I still use one
Old 3 weeks ago
  #641
Gear Maniac
I have an old Orbal 111b that sees regular use.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #642
Love hardware reverbs, still use them, have three Lexicon units but even if it's something like a Behringer FX2000 (which actually sounds pretty good) I'll try it, that FX2000 sounds a lot better than many plugins.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #643
Lives for gear
 
andychamp's Avatar
Killfiling apparently wasn‘t enough.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #644
Lives for gear
 
cjogo's Avatar
Our DAW has only 2 plugs at a time -- one I use for COMP on the bass and kick tracks .. the other for guitars effects/\ Closed system.. so whatever the MFG made in 2000 ..thats it. So definitely we rely on > 3 TC M-ONE XL in the racks ~~ for all the rest ..

Last edited by cjogo; 3 weeks ago at 10:53 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
  #645
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
let's settle it like real men and women with a super loud reverb programming contest in the back yard barbecue event
Old 3 weeks ago
  #646
Lives for gear
 
DougS's Avatar
 

Just bought a new M7. My first hardware reverb.

Is anyone still using hardware reverb units?-bricasti-m7.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Is anyone still using hardware reverb units?-bricasti-m7.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
  #647
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
Just bought a new M7. My first hardware reverb.

Congratulations on your purchase . Definitely worth Checking out Reverb Foundry’s M7 Link Plug-in for easy DAW integration (unless you use Digital Performer 10 - it doesn’t work due to an issue on MOTUs part)
Old 3 weeks ago
  #648
Gear Maniac
 

Speaking about patches:

Amount of time you should spend to program a patch is incredible. Then of course in order to get a great patch you should know well how this hardware is built and how it works. I deeply respect people who can do that so good because I was doing it on my own and I can relate. I know what it takes.

When I see a bully talking nonsense, not capable even to be polite enough to discuss differences- that makes me not happy.

We should value these people who keep bringing good stuff to us, in software, hardware, patches, algorithms, doesn’t matter.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #649
Lives for gear
 
italo de angelis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by temnov View Post
Speaking about patches:

Amount of time you should spend to program a patch is incredible. Then of course in order to get a great patch you should know well how this hardware is built and how it works. I deeply respect people who can do that so good because I was doing it on my own and I can relate. I know what it takes.

When I see a bully talking nonsense, not capable even to be polite enough to discuss differences- that makes me not happy.

We should value these people who keep bringing good stuff to us, in software, hardware, patches, algorithms, doesn’t matter.

Hey

I found programming the Lexicon bundle plugs as "tedious" as any deep hardware. There is no solution to this. If one wants options, depth in sound shaping and control he'll have to deal with parameters abundance. Of course computers monitors can show more than a display but it's not always easier or nicer as expected. Some hardware can show 8 or 10 parameters in a single screenshot... pretty much as good as a computer.
An editor would put the hardware on the same programming "ease" as a plug.
But to tell you the truth I *personally* much prefer working on the unit itself as programming on the computer is very distracting and unpractical while you play and test your tweask. But that's me... a person who doesn't care about UI at all... as long as the machine is pouring honey and magic to the ears!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digi_io View Post
Congratulations on your purchase . Definitely worth Checking out Reverb Foundry’s M7 Link Plug-in for easy DAW integration (unless you use Digital Performer 10 - it doesn’t work due to an issue on MOTUs part)
Weird, it works fine in DP 9.52. Hope they get that worked out.


M7, SPX 2000, and RE-201 here.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #651
Lives for gear
 
Oldone's Avatar
italo de angelis has contributed valued information to this forum on classic hardware for years. His ability to understand the complex nature of programming these classic units is greatly appreciated by many. It's critical information that will be lost in time and his entrepeneurial talent to leverage his knowledge is applauded by myself as it allows quick access to sounds that would take a novice many hours to learn be able to access the full capabilities of classic verbs and delays.

There are many company owners and support people that pass through this site in hopes to have access to the audience gearslutz provides. Their are many motivations you come across; education, support, IP protection, defense of products, and yes promotion of products. Eric Valentine recently started using the site to promote his new webcast program. I am certainly not going to tell him his motivations are self serving because his intent while promoting a new business model, is to educate and help people by providing "behind the scenes" information desired by many. It's a pretty fair exchange as joining this site is FREE!

italo de angelis, don't let this aberration complaint deter you. Please keep posting and exchanging your knowledge and hopefully the presets you sell can be some form of reciprocation for your hard work.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #652
Lives for gear
 
italo de angelis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
italo de angelis has contributed valued information to this forum on classic hardware for years. His ability to understand the complex nature of programming these classic units is greatly appreciated by many. It's critical information that will be lost in time and his entrepeneurial talent to leverage his knowledge is applauded by myself as it allows quick access to sounds that would take a novice many hours to learn be able to access the full capabilities of classic verbs and delays.

There are many company owners and support people that pass through this site in hopes to have access to the audience gearslutz provides. Their are many motivations you come across; education, support, IP protection, defense of products, and yes promotion of products. Eric Valentine recently started using the site to promote his new webcast program. I am certainly not going to tell him his motivations are self serving because his intent while promoting a new business model, is to educate and help people by providing "behind the scenes" information desired by many. It's a pretty fair exchange as joining this site is FREE!

italo de angelis, don't let this aberration complaint deter you. Please keep posting and exchanging your knowledge and hopefully the presets you sell can be some form of reciprocation for your hard work.
Thank you.
I'm not giving up for somebody who likely didn't have enough money to buy something... and complains like it was his right to get it as cheap as peanuts.
Building a presets library is about months of work, solid days, one by one.
It's about testing the work with different audio sources, different instruments. It's about researching about HOW some sounds are achieved, so one needs to know about algorithms, how they are designed and the real signal flow thru them. I have also created many algorithms on many great pieces, like DSP4000, 7000, Orville, H7600, H8000, Eclipse... and all my works are now available on the H9000, including the 5.1 structures.They are used daily in music and movies production. I'll spare the long list...
If somebody can't accept to pay what an electrician would charge him for a couple of hours of work in his home... for a collection I have worked hard for 3 or more months... then it's HIS problem, not mine. If one doesn't know that in this industry you'd get paid no less than 50$ per hour, working for any company and doing sound design for them... then he would understand that paying for months of work what one would make in 2 or 3 hours for a company... well...it's a hell of great deal. But these trolls just have no idea.
They are only about hate and BS. A shame for a community.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #653
Lives for gear
 
DougS's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digi_io View Post
Congratulations on your purchase . Definitely worth Checking out Reverb Foundry’s M7 Link Plug-in for easy DAW integration (unless you use Digital Performer 10 - it doesn’t work due to an issue on MOTUs part)
Yeah, I was looking at that. Looks pretty good. I'm on StudioOne.

Does the hardware respond quickly to the plug-in, and is it a reliable connection? Looks like it runs on MIDI.

Generally speaking, how do most people work with the M7 from a workflow perspective? And does the plugin change the workflow? Just got it hooked up and I was simply printing wet tracks and mixing them with the dry original to taste. Is that what most people do?

Does the plugin change that? Can it be used like a regular reverb plugin - in other words, can it be put on a bus in the DAW and used without printing a wet track?

Just scratching the surface but it sounds great. I'm using the digital connections.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #654
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
Yeah, I was looking at that. Looks pretty good. I'm on StudioOne.

Does the hardware respond quickly to the plug-in, and is it a reliable connection? Looks like it runs on MIDI.

Generally speaking, how do most people work with the M7 from a workflow perspective? And does the plugin change the workflow? Just got it hooked up and I was simply printing wet tracks and mixing them with the dry original to taste. Is that what most people do?

Does the plugin change that? Can it be used like a regular reverb plugin - in other words, can it be put on a bus in the DAW and used without printing a wet track?

Just scratching the surface but it sounds great. I'm using the digital connections.
- Hardware responds quick considering that it’s not a just a program change but rather Sysex transfer.

- you still have to print wet tracks as this plugin is a MIDI controlling program for M7, like a remote. Most important for me was the fact I can save all changed preset parameters into the project thus speeding up a workflow.

- It can’t be be used as a reverb plugin. I found however that when I need an M7 flavor I could use Seven Heaven Pro from Liquidsonics along with M7 hardware. Side by side especially for ver. 1 presets.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #655
Gear Addict
 
chipss36's Avatar
 

Capital records sure is, reverb tunnels designed by Les Pual, the engineers fight over em! About as hardware as one can get!
The are under the parking lot btw!
Just saying!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #656
Lives for gear
 
italo de angelis's Avatar
 

Folks...
thank you for honest support but leave this loser alone... he speaks nonsense, has no idea about people and facts and makes ridiculous assumptions. He's going to hear from lawyers soon anyway. Again... one who doesn't want to pay the right price for something and likes to piss on the object of his desire he can't afford doesn't go far... living in such a subculture of hate and wrong use of a community. Just let this and him die... alone. Who gives a s..t anyway.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #657
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
this is probably getting very close to being moderated, bans and warnings being issued, and so on
Old 3 weeks ago
  #658
Gear Maniac
what was this thread about again ?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #659
Lives for gear
 
Blaine Misner's Avatar
 

a rather long spat, i guess.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #660
Lives for gear
 
Jeff Hayat's Avatar
 

Well, I was enjoying this thread.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump