The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is anyone still using hardware reverb units?
Old 1st December 2017
Gear Guru

One time I ran a Behringer headphone amp into a spring tank, and back into a Mackie 1202 Aux send/return... sounded pretty cool but it was crude. I need to get a Radial Tank Driver.

My favorite hardware digital reverb is my GGG/Hermida spring reverb pedal with the Belton tank that I built for myself... Never want to turn that thing off when I'm playing e-guitar.
Old 1st December 2017
Lives for gear

And sometimes this.

I have better sounding plugins, tbh
Attached Thumbnails
Is anyone still using hardware reverb units?-img_20171130_193121.jpg  
Old 1st December 2017
Gear Nut

I still use chains that I set up on my TSR-24 that I paid about $700 for back in 1993. They're giving them away on ebay but they have a real clean quality since they are an early 24 bit unit.

I don't use them for mixing but I run synth hardware through it when tracking.
Old 1st December 2017
Lives for gear

My rack verbs mostly collect dust except for a specific effect here and there but the spring unit gets used all the time and most of that time I'll add a plugin at the tail end to extend the decay times to fit certain tempo related parts and or outros.
Old 1st December 2017
Gear Guru

My Pioneer SR-101 spring/tube reverb does get used from time to time. It's not in the rack but I bring it in for certain projects. I love the sound.
Old 1st December 2017
Lives for gear

All the time, every time.
Old 1st December 2017
Deleted 4373f97
I really hope so, because with digital I'm always trying to find the right reverb for the job rather than a all-in-one verb; the latter seeming to stem from hardware unit examples. Even my old digital 8 track has decent reverb.
Old 1st December 2017
SRV-330
SRV-2000
SPX 990
SPX-900
Alesis Wedge
Yamaha M500

Can run a LOT of tracks and other plugs on the computer because the reverb processing isn't eating up all the power.
Old 1st December 2017
Deleted 6ccb844
I'm using the Lexicon unit built into my Soundcraft MTK, it's not a plugin so I guess it could be classed as a "HW Unit".. Sounds great, got the ITB one's from UAD / NI and the one's on the desk sound sooo much better.
Old 1st December 2017
Lives for gear

Lex 300, M-One XL, TC3000, Lex MX200 and a TC Voiceworks+. Plugins.....just say no to more.
Old 1st December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
One time I ran a Behringer headphone amp into a spring tank, and back into a Mackie 1202 Aux send/return... sounded pretty cool but it was crude. I need to get a Radial Tank Driver.

My favorite hardware digital reverb is my GGG/Hermida spring reverb pedal with the Belton tank that I built for myself... Never want to turn that thing off when I'm playing e-guitar.
I have an old, stainless steel film development tank. It's about a foot square and maybe 5 feet tall. Put a small speaker up against the outside and drop a stereo mic inside. Funky, metallic reverb heaven there! About 3 second verb time with a beautiful tail.
Old 1st December 2017
Lives for gear

To answer the OP's question - no, at least not here. My stack of Lexis all gone - PCM 42, 60, 70, 80, 90 all sold. Lots of experience with hardware 224 and 480. Could not be happier with the plugs. Loving Valhalla Room and Ubermod, Relab 480 and TC emus, Liquidsonics Seventh Heaven Pro.
Old 1st December 2017
Gear Addict

Lexicon 480L (main verb)
TC M-One XL
Sony DPS-V55M (not used in years)
Alesis Midiverb 2 (not used in years - owned since new)
EMT 140 about to be installed
Old 1st December 2017
Lives for gear

Still using my M7 a whole bunch.

I also have an Alesis Wedge that I quite like, and use on my keyboards and synths a lot.

dB
Old 1st December 2017
Here for the gear
Yeh, an 80's Master Unit type of Reverb that can be used as two dif audio signals, secret sauce. NOS. Bought it for a very low price and they thought they were ripping me off.
Old 2nd December 2017
Gear Head

I've been loving the OTO BAM. Tis my secret live mixing weapon, as well. I can dial up a great reverb tone within seconds. So easy and fast.
Old 2nd December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
I have an old, stainless steel film development tank. It's about a foot square and maybe 5 feet tall. Put a small speaker up against the outside and drop a stereo mic inside. Funky, metallic reverb heaven there! About 3 second verb time with a beautiful tail.
Dude...that's effing awesome
Old 2nd December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTON IN ORBIT View Post
Dude...that's effing awesome
Thanks yeah. I was lugging it home from work and banged it against something. Suddenly, I was in the Royal Albert Hall. Well, kinda
Old 2nd December 2017
Gear Nut

I've been doing something similar over the last few weeks. I had an old roll of flat stock sheet metal that I use for the same purpose. It's about 4 feet by 10 feet. I can roll it up in different sizes to vary the reverb sound/tail. I do the same thing with a speaker outside and a mic inside.
Old 2nd December 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks for al replies so far! Good read
I really like Valhalla Room and can get a similar reverb with the Lex MX400. Personally I love hardware
Old 2nd December 2017
Gear Addict

You may think this very rudimentary DIY plate reverb made out of recycled steel sheet from the back of an old filing cabinet and a mixer made out of a cake tin should sound as marginal as it looks. However before you jump to conclusions check it out.

Old 2nd December 2017
Here for the gear
A mic going into a Vox Path Finder placed in a half full closet (with clothes, boxes, etc) and closed. Find a cool spot for the mic. Record a dry signal and the Vox Signal wet with the Reverb at full and the Tremolo on. Play with the settings. Don't tell the singer your're recording this and don't feed the signal. OR at first take only feed the Wet Signal, tell the singer to relax and sing the whole song as she or he would do normally, and say you're not recording, only making measurements, works 90% of the time. There went my sauce.....
Old 2nd December 2017
Gear Addict

Emt 140

I picked up this EMT 140 about a month ago.

I was actually on the verge of building a DIY plate until I got a phone call from a friend telling me an EMT 140 was for sale.

When I saw the condition of it I couldn't believe it.

It gets installed next week!
Attached Thumbnails
Is anyone still using hardware reverb units?-imag0995.jpg   Is anyone still using hardware reverb units?-imag1013.jpg   Is anyone still using hardware reverb units?-imag1004.jpg   Is anyone still using hardware reverb units?-imag1012.jpg   Is anyone still using hardware reverb units?-imag1011.jpg  

Is anyone still using hardware reverb units?-imag1010.jpg   Is anyone still using hardware reverb units?-imag1019.jpg   Is anyone still using hardware reverb units?-imag1009.jpg   Is anyone still using hardware reverb units?-imag1023.jpg  
Old 2nd December 2017
Gear Guru

THat's gorgeous
Old 2nd December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowmat View Post
Congrats! What a score!
Old 2nd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I picked up this EMT 140 about a month ago.

I was actually on the verge of building a DIY plate until I got a phone call from a friend telling me an EMT 140 was for sale.

When I saw the condition of it I couldn't believe it.

"Made in Western Germany" it looks like NOS, unbelievable find. Congrats!
Old 2nd December 2017
Lives for gear
Im trying to as soon as I can get hold of a cheap oe. Its the buttons you see - nice to twiddle.....Ive started using plugins as auxiliaries on my analogue desk to great effect too.
Old 2nd December 2017
Here for the gear
idk how anyone hasn't gone apeshift over rowmat home made reverb. That reverb unit sounds out of this world totally awesome, unbelievable awesome. Has some sonic qualities I'm sure people appreciate. If I had a bigger room I would be asking since 2 days ago if he makes for other people and prices. I hear it that wicked.
Old 2nd December 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfoxxx View Post
idk how anyone hasn't gone apeshift over rowmat home made reverb. That reverb unit sounds out of this world totally awesome, unbelievable awesome. Has some sonic qualities I'm sure people appreciate. If I had a bigger room I would be asking since 2 days ago if he makes for other people and prices. I hear it that wicked.
I think something got lost in translation.

I did not make this reverb.

This is a genuine EMT 140 from West Germany.

It was one of the very last EMT 140's made.

I think this one is from the early 1970's.

It is about 45 years old although it looks almost like brand new.
Old 3rd December 2017
Here for the gear
Quote:
I think something got lost in translation.

I did not make this reverb.

This is a genuine EMT 140 from West Germany.

It was one of the very last EMT 140's made.

I think this one is from the early 1970's.

It is about 45 years old although it looks almost like brand new.
Oh yeah def lost in translation. I only speak 3 languages Natively, none of them German, I am sorry.

I was talking about the DIY marginal unit. Not an EMT.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search