The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Odd recording experience -- wrong track Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 28th November 2017
Gear Nut

Odd recording experience -- wrong track

I was doing a recording last night into a Zoom L-12 LiveTrak multitrack recorder. I had an SE-02 playing a sequence with audio out to track 5 (mono), and a MIDI keyboard controlled Moog Minotaur with audio out to track 6 (mono). The keyboard also had its audio outs going to tracks 3 and 4, as I was alternating using the keyboard to play its own line vs. controlling the Minotaur.

When I completed recording, I was kind of astonished to discover that the sequence that had played on the SE-02 got recorded on both tracks 5 and 6. There was no audio or MIDI connection between the SE-02 and any other device except the L-12.

I am wondering what could likely explain this kind of thing happening. I am thinking it could be a glitch with the L-12, where somehow the input into track 5 bleeds into track 6, but also wondering if it could be something to do with cables, or magic .

Any ideas?
Old 28th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_synth View Post
I was doing a recording last night into a Zoom L-12 LiveTrak multitrack recorder. I had an SE-02 playing a sequence with audio out to track 5 (mono), and a MIDI keyboard controlled Moog Minotaur with audio out to track 6 (mono). The keyboard also had its audio outs going to tracks 3 and 4, as I was alternating using the keyboard to play its own line vs. controlling the Minotaur.

When I completed recording, I was kind of astonished to discover that the sequence that had played on the SE-02 got recorded on both tracks 5 and 6. There was no audio or MIDI connection between the SE-02 and any other device except the L-12.

I am wondering what could likely explain this kind of thing happening. I am thinking it could be a glitch with the L-12, where somehow the input into track 5 bleeds into track 6, but also wondering if it could be something to do with cables, or magic .

Any ideas?
Hi Sean, I was just researching the L-12 today - looks really great (but I'm sure that there's a bit of a learning curve)!

From what I can tell in my research, is that there's actually individual mixes for each channel as well as the two master channels - so perhaps you're hearing both?

Also - It looks like it can be in mixer mode, interface mode, recorder mode etc. Perhaps that has something to do with it?

The routing also looks like it needs to be looked into since all the channel strip options (pan effects, etc.) are assigned through a single section for all instead of the individual channel strip - I'd look there too.

Also, and the most obvious and least likely, is that you had the "record" button green on both the channel strip you're recording and the master strip - I'm not really sure how this works but I see that it offers both.

Lastly (and you suggest this isn't the case) but if anything is being routed via USB to your DAW and that's how your controller is connected, that could potentially do it as well.

Just some suggestions based on the research I've been doing - I have no personal experience with the unit but am considering one. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Greg
Old 22nd March 2018
Gear Nut
From what I read today on an Amazon review of the Livetrak, there is a track bleed problem when using unbalanced 1/4 inch inputs on tracks 5-8.

Customer Review

Original review:
To start with I want to say I have been a Zoom fan for many years. I own an H2n, H4N, G3x and have given gifts of the H2n and recommended them for school programs. I have been recording music for many years now and have tried many different interfaces. I have now been through 3 of these units. All of them have had significant bleed of input between channels 5/6 and 7/8. This means that line level signal input to channels 5 or 6 will bleed through and register on 7 *and* 8. This happens from 7/8 to 5/6 as well. I have called Zoom 4 times and not once has my call been returned. They keep saying they are waiting on more information from their engineers in Japan to confirm the issue. Multiple times I offered to send my unit to them for testing and that was refused. Today I called back and they said they had just gotten information today from their engineers that they had a unit where they could reproduce the problem. This process has been going on over a month. I am now out of my return window and sitting waiting for a call back when they get any new information. They didn't come right out and say it in the phone call today but I expect that this is a manufacturing defect and will be present in all units. I strongly recommend staying away from this and looking elsewhere. Perhaps the R24 or PreSonus StudioLive* (I have changed this due to some new information that has come to light, man)

UPDATE: Someone at Zoom got wind of the troubles I am having. Since then they have been extraordinarily helpful and responsive. The issue appears to be something related to using unbalanced inputs. The bleed problem only occurs on channels 5-8 if you use unbalanced 1/4" TS cables for inputs. If you use either 3 pin or 1/4" TRS inputs there will be no bleed. The recordings are clean and clear. The unit is extremely easy to use, and has well thought out in layout. At this stage I am willing to say that if you are OK with only using balanced ins on channels 5-8, this is worth the money any day. If you feel squeamish, the R24 is your next best bet.
Old 22nd March 2018
Gear Nut

I ended up going through an RMA and got a new unit with the same issue. I reached the same conclusion through trial and error. For me it's not so bad, because I am putting some monosynths through stereo effects, so I have balanced ins on 5-6 and 7-8 now, and then the unbalanced ones get 1-4.

I have to say that apart from this issue I've been pretty happy with the unit, but that flaw may be a dealbreaker for some.
Old 4th May 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
I ended up going through an RMA and got a new unit with the same issue. I reached the same conclusion through trial and error. For me it's not so bad, because I am putting some monosynths through stereo effects, so I have balanced ins on 5-6 and 7-8 now, and then the unbalanced ones get 1-4.

I have to say that apart from this issue I've been pretty happy with the unit, but that flaw may be a dealbreaker for some.
but is bleeding or not with balanced cables?
Old 5th May 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by psoul View Post
but is bleeding or not with balanced cables?
Not bleeding.
Old 6th May 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Not bleeding.
thanks!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search