The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Presonus M80 preamps-Jensen Transformers etc Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear

Presonus M80 preamps-Jensen Transformers etc

Wondering if anyone is still using this bang for the buck 8 channel unit..the early ones??

I'm thinking about buying for a set of decent utility preamps for oddball stuff..percussion, room mics etc..

they seemed to be pretty well appreciated for what they were when they were in the market

my only worry is that I believe the Jensen included units were made in the Early 90's/ Wprried about having to do a bunch of work on them because of internal parts going bad..Presonus states in their literature that this is a FET amp with NO capacitors..nevertheless..
Old 26th November 2017
I use to have these. They worked great. At the time guitar center was the reason they stopped using jensen transformers. They wanted to buy from presonus at a lower cost so they cut the most expensive part out of the equation.
Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
I use to have these. They worked great. At the time guitar center was the reason they stopped using jensen transformers. They wanted to buy from presonus at a lower cost so they cut the most expensive part out of the equation.
it's pretty clear that these performed pretty well..some nice extra features on board too..Just trying to anticipate if Im walking into 'parts wearing out in droves situation'

Nu-Tra..how did the pots and switches feel on yours? Were they of decent quality?
Old 26th November 2017
I thought they felt fine at the time. The input stage is an IC chip. I remember buying a few MP20s and the manual stated it had jensen output transformers. I opened the lid and they weren't I called jensen and ordered them. They told me why presonus stopped using them. This was years ago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pchicago View Post
it's pretty clear that these performed pretty well..some nice extra features on board too..Just trying to anticipate if Im walking into 'parts wearing out in droves situation'

Nu-Tra..how did the pots and switches feel on yours? Were they of decent quality?
Old 27th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
I thought they felt fine at the time. The input stage is an IC chip. I remember buying a few MP20s and the manual stated it had jensen output transformers. I opened the lid and they weren't I called jensen and ordered them. They told me why presonus stopped using them. This was years ago!
K, cool..thanks..again..not wanting to get into a bunch of dying parts
Old 27th November 2017
Lives for gear

I owned 3 of these very unreliable - one of my unit spent 8 months @ Prosonus for repairs 2 of the 3 gave me problems
Old 27th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
I owned 3 of these very unreliable - one of my unit spent 8 months @ Prosonus for repairs 2 of the 3 gave me problems
TRS..any idea what era/years you owned these?

sposed to have been solid at the beginning of the run..then, not as good later in the years..let me know if you can recall..thanks man..
Old 27th November 2017
Lives for gear

bang for what buck?

just get one of these and move on .. presonus pres are harsh and muddy

https://audient.com/products/mic-pres/asp800/overview/

great friken pre/converter
Old 27th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
bang for what buck?

https://audient.com/products/mic-pres/asp800/overview/

Interesting..Im gonna read more about this unit..

The M80 8 channel Im referring to was never regarded as harsh and muddy..
these were produced quite a while back when Presonus was making better stuff..
Old 29th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pchicago View Post
TRS..any idea what era/years you owned these?

sposed to have been solid at the beginning of the run..then, not as good later in the years..let me know if you can recall..thanks man..
I believe I bought them in the late 1990's and sold them in 2007
yes they were the early ones with Jensen X formers which is why I bought them
They had terrible headroom too. I replaced them Grace and Millenia remote controlled multichannel pres's
Old 29th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
bang for what buck?

Overview - Audient

I've heard a lot about these but this is the first time I actually looked up the product. $100 a channel?? That's nuts! If I needed any more preamps this would rocket to the top of my list.
Old 29th November 2017
Gear Addict

I have a Jim Williams modded Mp20...he put jensens in mine and made it cleaner with some different op amps...that was years ago and it's still working great.
Old 29th November 2017
Lives for gear

Sorry to go OT, but I have the Audient ID22 so have been peeping the ASP800 and slightly more expensive ASP880 for a while as a way to expand channel count. The Audient preamps in the ID22 are very good, the conversion is very good. Noticeably good.

If it matters if anyone's given situation, the ASP880 adds an awful lot of very good features: three user selectable impedances per channel (!), insert points between the preamp and AD (!), high pass filters for each channel, you can bypass the pre's to hit the AD directly if you're using outboard preamps, in fact you can use all 8 preamps and all 8 channels of AD seperately... very flexible wow. Those are all AWESOME features. Definitely puts it on the radar.

And the ASP800 used prices are absurdly good for a quality 8-channel preamp/AD combo...
Old 30th November 2017
Gear Guru

Aphex made an 8 channel Jensen preamp too. 1788a. Also has A to D.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search