The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Trying to choose first mixer for home studio!! Mixers (Analog)
Old 3 weeks ago
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Thread Starter
Trying to choose first mixer for home studio!!

Hi,

I'm, wanting to buy a mixer to route two synths and a drum machine through. (And a couple of other instruments).

I've never owned a mixer before and was looking at the YAMAHA MG10XU 10-Channel Mixer or the Allen & Heath ZED-10FX Audio Mixer.

I'm leaning towards the Allen & Heath even though I like the look of the YAMAHA.
The Allen & Heath seems to have more EQing and compression possibilities and better effects?

If anyone knows which one is best, please let me know.

Someone on a forum said the YAMAHA made their signal too quite and they sent the mixer output through a Focusrite Scarlett into their laptop to remedy it.

I was thinking of getting a Focusrite Scarlett or Arturia AudioFuse one day, but I'm not sure I need it.

I do want to record guitar too. I've just been using a jack/usb cable at the moment, recording guitar and synth directly into FL studios.

Anyway, thanks for your patience.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 

I don't know which is 'best, I've only dealt with the MG12 a club bought as their PA mixer, for which it is ill suited (routing limitations) but competent enough.
The ZED certainly seems to have the MG beat recording features wise. (I would favor those over the 'compressors for example.
Quote:
I'm leaning towards the Allen & Heath even though I like the look of the YAMAHA.
The Allen & Heath seems to have more EQing and compression possibilities and better effects?
Old 2 weeks ago
  #3
Lives for gear
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
I own a Mackie but I've been looking at the new Midas DM16 or DM12 as possible 'upgrades' for EVEN LESS MONEY which seems to be that weird/cool Behringer secret.

The Mackie VLZ4 do work great for synths.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #4
Here for the gear
 

I own the A&H and the Yamaha MG102c. I would definitely recommend the A&H. Moved the Yahama out of the studio as it had too much noise for my synth use. It looks like the MG10XU is an updated version so that might have been addressed.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 
DistortingJack's Avatar
 

Are you going to be using all of those things at the same time? Because if not, and you're using a 2-channel interface, a patchbay will cause much less signal degradation.

How are you sending the stuff into the computer?
If you are just using the input jack, go get yourself an interface ASAP. The Scarlett is fine on a budget.
Old 1 week ago
  #6
Here for the gear
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortingJack View Post
Are you going to be using all of those things at the same time? Because if not, and you're using a 2-channel interface, a patchbay will cause much less signal degradation.

How are you sending the stuff into the computer?
If you are just using the input jack, go get yourself an interface ASAP. The Scarlett is fine on a budget.
Thanks for the feedback. I had no notifications people were replying to this thread.



How are you sending the stuff into the computer?

Yep, I'm just using an input jack. A 10 dollar Chinese, quarter jack to usb cable.


Are you going to be using all of those things at the same time?

Yes, I want all the instruments playing at the same time. That's about four things. I have one sequencer, (BeatStep), MiniBrute, Monologue, DrumBrute and I want something else.

If I get an Allen and Heath mixer, will I still need a Scarlet or AudioFuse? That's a question I'm really confused about right now, because after a lot of working, saving and buying I'm hoping a basic little set up is in sight.
Old 1 week ago
  #7
Lives for gear
 
DistortingJack's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristoo View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I had no notifications people were replying to this thread.

How are you sending the stuff into the computer?

Yep, I'm just using an input jack. A 10 dollar Chinese, quarter jack to usb cable.
I felt a bit dirty reading that. Don't use that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristoo View Post
Are you going to be using all of those things at the same time?

Yes, I want all the instruments playing at the same time. That's about four things. I have one sequencer, (BeatStep), MiniBrute, Monologue, DrumBrute and I want something else.

If I get an Allen and Heath mixer, will I still need a Scarlet or AudioFuse? That's a question I'm really confused about right now, because after a lot of working, saving and buying I'm hoping a basic little set up is in sight.
You do know that if you buy a mixer, the sounds will all be mixed, and therefore you won't be able to separate all the instruments once they've been recorded, right?

If you want to record them all at the same time into different tracks you do not want a mixer – you want a multi-channel interface, like the Scarlett 18i20 or the M-Audio M-Track Eight.
Old 1 week ago
  #8
Here for the gear
 

Thread Starter
Thanks for the feedback.

Yes

Quote:
I felt a bit dirty reading that. Don't use that.
It's horrifying! But it's obviously expensive to build a studio, and it's piece by piece!
Old 1 week ago
  #9
I reckon get one of those new zoom consoles, heard they have awesome preamps, bonus: dont need a computer to record, and when you are using the computer it acts as an interface and even daw control I think.

Zoom LiveTrak L‑12 | Zoom

they're super affordable too
theres the all in one solution you were looking for

Old 1 week ago
  #10
Lives for gear
 
DistortingJack's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristoo View Post
Yes, I want all the instruments playing at the same time. That's about four things. I have one sequencer, (BeatStep), MiniBrute, Monologue, DrumBrute and I want something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristoo View Post
It's horrifying! But it's obviously expensive to build a studio, and it's piece by piece!
Well, before getting like four expensive things like the ones you already have, you should get the way to record them lol.

Again, if you are on a budget you can buy a 2-input interface and record them one after the other. Otherwise you have no choice but to fork out for an 8-channel interface.
Old 1 week ago
  #11
Gear Nut
A&H ZedFX or perhaps even soundcraft spirit digital one... and you also have your audio interface :-)
Old 1 week ago
  #12
Gear Nut
 
Richie Witch's Avatar
I've built a setup similar to what you're looking for, a bunch synths connected to a mixer, all playing and being recorded on separate tracks into my DAW. I use a Mackie Onyx 1620i, which has a Firewire audion interface built in.

My only caution would be about the drivers. Mackie hasn't updated the drivers in years and the mixer may not work with the latest OS.
Old 1 week ago
  #13
Lives for gear
 
DistortingJack's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitaarwerk View Post
A&H ZedFX or perhaps even soundcraft spirit digital one... and you also have your audio interface :-)
All cheap digital mixers have a stereo digital input only. They will not do what OP wants.

A more expensive digital desk like the A&H Qu-16 is a great option... At a price.
And anyway, they don't sound like they need any mixing facilities at all. An audio interface has everything they need and nothing they don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsteeno View Post
I reckon get one of those new zoom consoles, heard they have awesome preamps, bonus: dont need a computer to record, and when you are using the computer it acts as an interface and even daw control I think.

Zoom LiveTrak L‑12 | Zoom

they're super affordable too
theres the all in one solution you were looking for

That is indeed the cheapest multi-track D/A mixer I've seen, and it looks pretty cool. But whether OP needs the mixing facilities is another matter.
Old 1 week ago
  #14
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortingJack View Post
All cheap digital mixers have a stereo digital input only. They will not do what OP wants.

A more expensive digital desk like the A&H Qu-16 is a great option... At a price.
And anyway, they don't sound like they need any mixing facilities at all. An audio interface has everything they need and nothing they don't.
Partly agree. You can get these consoles at a very decent price on the second hand market. Usually from home studios where they are not worn out in general. A micing desk also is more hands on. But yes, if you wanna go minimal, a console is not the way to go. Sometimes i wish I had a console...now im having 24 channels input. Its an option to go for.
Old 1 week ago
  #15
Gear Addict
It sounds to me like you don't even need a mixer but you haven't provided enough information to be sure...I don't know FL Studio but I'm guessing that is your DAW for recording all your parts...It sounds like you need a way to get your hardware (6 audio inputs) into your computer (FL Studio)....You'd be much better off getting a cheap 8 input interface and some type of multiple midi box to get all your hardware synced to FL Studio....That would allow you to not only record your synths but also quantize....You'd also have much better inputs for mics/guitars....I think that's your missing link personally....moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristoo View Post
Hi,

I'm, wanting to buy a mixer to route two synths and a drum machine through. (And a couple of other instruments).

I've never owned a mixer before and was looking at the YAMAHA MG10XU 10-Channel Mixer or the Allen & Heath ZED-10FX Audio Mixer.

I'm leaning towards the Allen & Heath even though I like the look of the YAMAHA.
The Allen & Heath seems to have more EQing and compression possibilities and better effects?

If anyone knows which one is best, please let me know.

Someone on a forum said the YAMAHA made their signal too quite and they sent the mixer output through a Focusrite Scarlett into their laptop to remedy it.

I was thinking of getting a Focusrite Scarlett or Arturia AudioFuse one day, but I'm not sure I need it.

I do want to record guitar too. I've just been using a jack/usb cable at the moment, recording guitar and synth directly into FL studios.

Anyway, thanks for your patience.
Old 1 week ago
  #16
Gear Nut
In any case, if you wanna go cheap. Second hand focusrites are pretty cheap and often very decent. :-)
Old 1 week ago
  #17
Here for the gear
 

Thread Starter
Yeah, thanks for the feedback MoonMusic. i've been confused, and don't know anyone around me who does this stuff and that's why I joined this website! Thanks for everyone's insights. I just love firmware, patch cables etc.
Old 1 week ago
  #18
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristoo View Post
Yeah, thanks for the feedback MoonMusic. i've been confused, and don't know anyone around me who does this stuff and that's why I joined this website! Thanks for everyone's insights. I just love firmware, patch cables etc.

No problem, we've all had to start from not knowing anything....My major learning curve began in 1987 when I got my driver's license and met a local musician at one of his gigs...It wasn't long before I bought a midi keyboard, drum machine, sequencer, and 4 track recorder....By the mid 90's I had a whole room chucked full of keyboards, keyboard modules, effects, racks, sub mixers going into mixers, truckloads of 8 channel snakes, midi cable spaghetti messes, etc....Then by the early 2000's I had my first Protools DAW and all those hardware boxes started to slowly be replaced by software....From the journey I've come from, I can tell you it's amazing what a computer and your FL Studio program can do just on it's own...I think the very basic studio set up today is a computer/DAW/interface/monitors/headphones....From there depending on what/how the individual wants to record is where the road to gear changes for everyone....I think your missing one of the basic studio pieces by not having an audio/midi interface....Think of your PC/DAW (FL Studio) as the heart of your system....That's where your going to be writing/editing/finalizing your songs...OK, very quickly - 8 channel audio interface - Save a template in FL studio of 3 stereo inputs (2 keyboards and the drum machine)....You'll also need a 4 channel midi in/out box so FL studio can record/playback to those boxes....Hopefully your computer is fast enough there isn't much latency but that's enough info to get you started....moon
Mentioned Products
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump