The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Preamps: Made in America Single-Channel Preamps
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Lunde View Post
Sort of true, sort of not true. The reality is there is a race to the bottom in terms of price/features etc. People are drawn to things that are very low cost and appear to have the right features. I think of brands that are discussed a lot here and are elevated to "its the thing to get" status that are not good performance wise but look very good. Things like this change buyer behavior and put downward pressure on prices for everyone. This in turn forces some manufacturers to lower selling prices and they must go overseas to get lower build prices- just to stay in the game and be competitive. Microphones is a place where you see this as well.

This migration of production to China IS a loss to the career market. Very few guys or gals want to go into electronics design or electronic PCB work anymore. While it was very common to have a young guy or gal (who worked for someone else building) invent a new pro audio piece - its rare now. Less and less experience = less people available to hire = less and less ability to build locally.

Brad
It's a symptom of a larger issue yes, but the direct effects of offshore assembly are not as severe as people tend to assume they are. If it was detrimental to American businesses then they wouldn't do it, so it's not the economy that suffers. It actually makes the product available to more people because of lower cost. The only really measurable negative impact is the loss of entry level work in the country doing the outsourcing of assembly plant labor. Every other relevant career benefits, including salesman and studio owners. It's arguable whether competition between commercial sound facilities is increased or decreased; or if there is any impact on opportunity that can be measured in any case.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
Nothing Canadian then ?

And isn't Mexico officially in North America ? - it's certainly not South America.
Are there mic preamps made in Mexico?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorboy View Post
Are there mic preamps made in Mexico?
No idea - but several US companies get stuff made in Mexico because of the cheaper labour costs.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

RE the mod deletions, the title of the thread reflects a political point of view. You let the thread live, you're inviting political opinions.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
RE the mod deletions, the title of the thread reflects a political point of view. You let the thread live, you're inviting political opinions.
Re the mod deletions:

The question contained in the first post is "which companies made mic preamps in the USA?"

Given that we all know the rules of the forum, it should be really easy for people to answer with simple facts as in where preamps are made (or rather assembled), rather than giving their political opinion on why.

Of course, some people, even when reminded, can't help but offer an unsolicited opinion. So you have a very good point.

However, my personal decision is that I'll give people the benefit of the doubt for now, and hope they stay on topic with this reminder, with the hope the OP gets at least some answers before the thread gets locked.

Eventually I suspect you'll be proved right.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

How about Electro Harmonix, and their 12AY7 Tube Mic Pre?

Beautiful sounding pre, noisy as hell.

MIA?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Of course, some people, even when reminded, can't help but offer an unsolicited opinion.
It's sorta like implementing a rule that you can't touch your own hair, and then saying "Okay, ladies, let's talk about hair." Impossible.
Old 1 week ago
I’m not sure if anyone has mentioned it but:

LOCOMOTIVE AUDIO.

They make excellent hand-made tube Preamps and compressors. They are on par with anything else out there.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Winston understands now, and he is sorry for asking.

I wish to retitle the thread: "I live in Lebanon, Kansas; are there any preamp makers within a two-day drive?"
Thank you.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi View Post
I’m not sure if anyone has mentioned it but:

LOCOMOTIVE AUDIO.

They make excellent hand-made tube Preamps and compressors. They are on par with anything else out there.
Nice stuff! I'd never heard of them.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

All of the ShinyBox Audio electronic products are Made in the US! (Ribbon mics all ribboned and assembled here, body parts made overseas)

Last edited by ShinyBox; 1 week ago at 07:14 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
It's sorta like implementing a rule that you can't touch your own hair, and then saying "Okay, ladies, let's talk about hair." Impossible.
How about leaving moderation to the mods?

Ironically you’re going on about this and everyone else is behaving now!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not impossible...if you say,"OK ladies if you don't touch your hair or talk about it, you'll get a pair of Jimmy Choos, and a date with either Bradley Cooper, Ryan Reynolds or Ryan Gosling...your call gals."
Old 6 days ago
Well good luck to anyone looking for a pre amp (and a hairdo)

Thank you and goodnight.
Mentioned Products
Closed Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search