The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Side-B hardware clones from Italy Condenser Microphones
Old 19th November 2017
Lives for gear

Side-B hardware clones from Italy

Hi,

Just found this website. Never heard of this company but the clones look great!

http://www.sidebstudio.it/Home_English.html

Side-b Studio born as an “home studio”. As every “home studio” we started step by step with few stuff.
From the need to expand our recording gear we started to build for us the “classics” of recording: compressors as La2a, 1176, SSL bus compressor, EQs like Pultec and Sontec, famous preamps like API and Neve... Very soon friends and colleagues asked us to build outboards for them and Side-b grew, becoming a reference point in Italy for clones of vintage studio gear, modding/ upgrading and custom racking works.
To meet the needs in the studio we started our original designs of preamps, summing mixers, splitters, reamp boxes and our "mastering console."

Everything is made in Italy and hand-made, with a lot of passion and constant attention to detail.
Old 20th November 2017
Lives for gear

Would love to see more pricing is the current VAT inc or VAT free?
Interesting units!
Great stuff!
Old 21st November 2017
Gear Addict

Is it not just the usual DIY suspects? Does not seem to include a single original design/unit.
Old 21st November 2017
Gear Addict

Anyone have any experiences with their stuff? I would love to try their stereo 1176...
Old 21st November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
Would love to see more pricing is the current VAT inc or VAT free?
I don't have any exp with that gear, but in Italy, according by the law the prices shown should include VAT unless noted otherwise, so it should be safe to assume that these prices do include VAT.
Old 22nd November 2017
Gear Head

Internal wiring looks really messy
Old 26th November 2017
SEED78
Very curious about the Air and Sontec eqs
Old 26th November 2017
Don't doubt they sound good but there are plenty of 1176, ssl comp, pultec, etc clones. You just have to get some PCBs from Gustav or any fellow at GroupDIY forum, download gerber files and etch your own PCBs. You can even download front panel files, knobs part numbers from Mouser and voila, you have a clone.

Don't want to discourage but i don't see nothing special here
Old 26th November 2017
SEED78
All about the pricing
Old 27th November 2017
Lives for gear

By the looks of the available products their just buying the usual projects available from Group DIY, building them and selling them.

Arguably not cool.

But by the looks of their website they ain't making a mint.
Old 29th November 2017
Here for the gear

Hello everyone.
Only few words to introduce our work: we are a small family run boutique company.
We started our work many years ago with some custom clones for our studio and for friends.
In years we started selling our clones upon request.

Now our business in the last few years has been mainly based on customizations, mods (outboards and mics) and in custom replicas like our RM-58 limiter clone, updated La3a clones or a combo summing mixer/bus compressor based on SSL g4000 and in original custom solutions (like preamps, outboards, summing mixers, monitor station, mastering consoles and so on...)

About our clones some specifications: we don’t buy stuff from DIY sites like GroupDIY, from Gustav (?) or others.
We personally design and etch our pcbs or we make them on order and all our designs are original (we take original schematics and we do our clones without compromises not like other stuff designed for DIYers).
There are a lot of other companies that make clones putting a different led meter or rearranging controls on a panel: we build only upon request so many of our works are custom units and something different from what "standard" market could offer.

We make our rack and panels personally and all our suppliers are italian for racks (modushop), metal works and printing.

Attached you have an example of our LA2a and 1176 pcb.
For 1176 we designed a pcb that we could stuff to build every revision (D-F-J etc) that you can see attached.

Then you have a photo of our SONTEC replicas pcbs.

I don’t think our internal wirings looks messy.
Probably the interior that you quote is a prototype of a mastering console in our website.
Attached you have a photo of one of our recent custom designed preamps.

Today one of my client wrote me about this thread.
I'm sorry to have intervened (and have created this account only to talk about our work) but it seems that on this forum there are only people ready to diss and criticize the work of others.
We keep every moment of our days to have high standards so please avoid talking and writing about things you don't know.

We are ready to answer to all your request.

About our website I know it looks so ugly but in years I haven’t time to keep it beautiful.
If you want to see last build visit our Facebook page.
We constant update our Facebook and instagram page or our youtube channel.

For infos, pricing use our email or Facebook messenger.

Happy music to everyone.

Ale
Side-b Studio
Attached Thumbnails
Side-B hardware clones from Italy-clean-ch.jpg   Side-B hardware clones from Italy-la2a-rev1.jpg   Side-B hardware clones from Italy-sontec-set.jpg   Side-B hardware clones from Italy-1176-multiple-rev.jpg   Side-B hardware clones from Italy-img_5473.jpg  

Old 29th November 2017
Here for the gear

front panels

Here you have some example of our custom audio processors.

Ale
Side-b Studio
Attached Thumbnails
Side-B hardware clones from Italy-studer-racked-trio.jpg   Side-B hardware clones from Italy-studer-sum.jpg   Side-B hardware clones from Italy-la2a-point-point.jpg   Side-B hardware clones from Italy-la3a.jpg   Side-B hardware clones from Italy-rm58.jpg  

Side-B hardware clones from Italy-mastering-console-front.jpg   Side-B hardware clones from Italy-ssl-console.jpg   Side-B hardware clones from Italy-pre1073.png  

Last edited by sidebstudio; 29th November 2017 at 09:09 PM..
Old 30th November 2017
SEED78
Look awesome to me
Old 1st December 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
Look awesome to me
Thanks
Old 21st December 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NF Audio View Post
By the looks of the available products their just buying the usual projects available from Group DIY, building them and selling them.

Arguably not cool.

But by the looks of their website they ain't making a mint.

Your attitude is not cool.. doesn't inpire to buy from you!
Old 3rd January 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidebstudio View Post
For infos, pricing use our email or Facebook messenger.
May I ask why the prices are not published and you want the end-user to contact and actually request the price?
Old 4th January 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by teevee View Post
May I ask why the prices are not published and you want the end-user to contact and actually request the price?
For sure!
We decided (years ago when we did the first website) to not having prices because we offer a custom building service, so it's impossible to cover all possible situations (like a brand of transformer instead of other, different knobs, custom front panel arrangement and design, and so on..)
We usually don't keep built audio processors in stock.
Each order is discussed in all details with client.

We keep the same pricelist in last 3 years despite the increases in components prices.
But our prices aren't a secret!
So, these are "standard" prices for some of our processors:

Compressors:
- 1176 fet compressor: from 780 euro+vat
- vca stereo bus compressor: from 750 euro+vat
- La2a optical tube compressor: from 1250 euro+vat
- our vari mu dual mono compressor: from 1750 euro+vat

EQ:
- pultec tube: 800 euro+vat
- sontec eq (mep250ex): 1435 euro +vat

Preamps:
- our designed preamp "CLEAN CHANNEL" 750 euro+vat (4ch version)
- american DOA preamp (312preamp): 1400 euro+vat (4 channels version)
- uk class A preamp (**73): 1200 euro+vat (2 channels version)

Varius:

- mastering console:
with 6 inserts and 2 swaps 1450 euro+vat
with 6 inserts, 2swaps and m/s matrix 1750 euro+vat

We are working on our new website and prices are shown for sure for basic/standard audio processors.
In last years we are moving from custom clones to custom audio processors.
Only to have an idea this is one of our last custom processors built on November:

YouTube

In new website we add a DIY section with our pcbs (most popular DIY processors like la2a, 1176, bus compressor, preamps, sontec eq, pultec, etc) due to the large number of requests that have come to us over the years.

Ale
Side-b Studio
Old 4th January 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Compressors:

EQ:

Preamps:
Interesting. The pricing is not bad at all. Hell, some pre-build DIY kits go for that much on Ebay. Bookmarked.
Old 20th January 2018
Here for the gear

Today we posted on our Facebook page a blind test between two custom made C12 and an original C12 by AKG.
I know that web is full of blind test but this particular test is between 2 indentical C12 clones with cinemag output transformers, same circuit, same tube (EH 6072) but different capsule: one with a chinese k12 capsule and one with a brand new hand made Tim Campbell capsule.
We are preparing a full video with test between these mics but for now this blind test is interesting to have some feedbacks about our builds against original AKG.
Dropbox link: Dropbox - mics blind test.zip

Our Facebook page to write in comments your result in blind test: Side-b Studio - Home | Facebook

For test we used a MOTU 1248 AVB with internal preamps, 96k 24 bit
Old 7th February 2018
Here for the gear

I have their SSL comp and it sounds very good.
I did also send it back to them and had them upgrade the signalpath with better opamps and Nichicon caps. Very cool, more depth and size, very nice makeup gain etc.
you really get the feeling that they know what they talk about during the email conversations, and they never try to sell you anything, but give you an honest opinion of your ideas.

Jespar
Old 14th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudama108 View Post
I have their SSL comp and it sounds very good.
I did also send it back to them and had them upgrade the signalpath with better opamps and Nichicon caps. Very cool, more depth and size, very nice makeup gain etc.
you really get the feeling that they know what they talk about during the email conversations, and they never try to sell you anything, but give you an honest opinion of your ideas.

Jespar
Cool, thanx for sharing, sounds good.
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
For sure!
We decided (years ago when we did the first website) to not having prices because we offer a custom building service, so it's impossible to cover all possible situations (like a brand of transformer instead of other, different knobs, custom front panel arrangement and design, and so on..)
We usually don't keep built audio processors in stock.
Each order is discussed in all details with client.

We keep the same pricelist in last 3 years despite the increases in components prices.
But our prices aren't a secret!
So, these are "standard" prices for some of our processors:

Compressors:

EQ:

Preamps:

Varius:

- mastering console:
with 6 inserts and 2 swaps 1450 euro+vat
with 6 inserts, 2swaps and m/s matrix 1750 euro+vat

We are working on our new website and prices are shown for sure for basic/standard audio processors.
In last years we are moving from custom clones to custom audio processors.
Only to have an idea this is one of our last custom processors built on November:

YouTube

In new website we add a DIY section with our pcbs (most popular DIY processors like la2a, 1176, bus compressor, preamps, sontec eq, pultec, etc) due to the large number of requests that have come to us over the years.

Ale
Side-b Studio
Cool!
What’s the price of the custom processor you guys built in November (from the YT video)?
Old 12th April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progmatic-Studios View Post
Cool!
What’s the price of the custom processor you guys built in November (from the YT video)?
Hi.
Price was 1250 euro.
But it's a custom unit so the price is related to this particular processor with specific components (changing for example transformers or DOA change the price).
So for a custom quote you can write us at sidebstudio at yahoo dot it

Best regards,
Ale
Side-b Studio

p.s. have you seen our last videos?

This is a custom tube saturation unit:
YouTube
Old 24th May 2018
Lives for gear

I emailed you at your website email regarding prices on the stepped version of the Sontec and the Barry Porter EQ.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search