The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anybody know what this is? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Anybody know what this is?

The wife and I were wandering through a shabby little resale shop in town when I spotted a cluster of guitars and amps on one wall. This little bugger was hanging there. No name plate, but a SN inside on the end of the neck. !2 string tuners, but strung like a mandolin.

Wanna take a shot?
Attached Thumbnails
Anybody know what this is?-1-img_4726.jpg   Anybody know what this is?-1-img_4727.jpg   Anybody know what this is?-1-img_4728.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat View Post
some sort of Lute !!!!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Definitely lute.

Can we expect to hear that instrument in the next Old Goat tune?

Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
It's probably a tiple. The nut would originally have been slotted for all the strings. It looks to be in decent shape, but bowlbacks like that are rarely worth much.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Could be. The current nut had marks, but no slots for the missing strings.

Guitarsfrommars turned me on to the Wiki page for mandos, and this is apparently a Neopolitan style mandolin.

hip, do you think it might be worth a buck as a studio instrument?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Could be. The current nut had marks, but no slots for the missing strings.

Guitarsfrommars turned me on to the Wiki page for mandos, and this is apparently a Neopolitan style mandolin.

hip, do you think it might be worth a buck as a studio instrument?
Truly One Dollar !!! no, how much really ??
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
Truly One Dollar !!! no, how much really ??
$125 on the tag.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
$125 on the tag.
i guess the big question is .. does it sound good ?? do you play mando ?? can you use it in the studio for a cool new flavor !!!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The wife and I were wandering through a shabby little resale shop in town when I spotted a cluster of guitars and amps on one wall. This little bugger was hanging there. No name plate, but a SN inside on the end of the neck. !2 string tuners, but strung like a mandolin.

Wanna take a shot?
Hey Mr. Old Goat,

Looks like a 12-string "taterbug" or bowlback mandolin to me. Less common than the 8 string, but not terribly rare, either. They were very popular in Germany for a while. Instead of four doubles as on the typical 8-string mandolin, the 12-string was four triplets.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I used to see a lot of these in antique stores. Almost always in terrible shape; wall hangers, but I've bought a few over the years. Pretty cool alternate tone for recording when they're in good shape. I'd do $125 easy for a good one. Much very nice hand luthier work in those, and usually nice woods.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
I used to see a lot of these in antique stores. Almost always in terrible shape; wall hangers, but I've bought a few over the years. Pretty cool alternate tone for recording when they're in good shape. I'd do $125 easy for a good one. Much very nice hand luthier work in those, and usually nice woods.
This one is solid, some checking in the finish. It could use a new nut, but I didn't see any big problems.

I think foxwaves is probably right about it. If I bought it, I'd keep it eight strings--not sure the old fingers could handle three at a time!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The seller doesn't know what they are selling?

Or you didn't want to ask?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It's a resale shop. None of the sellers are there, just the shop owner. I can leave a message, but that's about it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search