The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Warm u47?
Old 10th November 2017
Warm u47?

https://www.warmaudio.com/wa47

I'm excited to hear some shoot outs.
Old 10th November 2017
Gear Head

Theres also a "Fet47 mini" mic, for $299 (!!!)

My wa87 just arrived today. If I like it, I'll be really interested in the FET for a kick drum mic. Not sure what the "mini" part means though.
Old 10th November 2017
Saw that - looks great, but I'd sure like to hear some examples!
Old 10th November 2017
Lives for gear

Can we assume that the "Australian capsule manufacturer" is Guosheng Zhuang (of 3U Audio) and that the capsules are manufactured at his factory in China? I own one of his "47" voiced Warbler mics and it's probably the best mic I've ever used in it's price range. Seems like VERY nice capsules. Or is it someone else manufacturing the capsules?

Surprised to see a 5751 in there.

I'm sure it's an excellent mic but the question is of course how close it is to a real "47". Normally I wouldn't care as long as it sounds great but with the strong "47" marketing they are setting the bar pretty high on this one.

For me this is the most exciting Warm product since the first WA12. It's a little too much money (for me at least) to buy on impulse so I hope there will be reviews/clips on here shortly. I REALLY hope this one turns out to be great!
Old 10th November 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.F.Sorrow View Post
Surprised to see a 5751 in there.
Guosheng's 47 capsule is great so the question is - does the 5751 come close to doing what a VF14 does? I am going to be cynical and guess it will be a no (as the 5751 is in the 12AX7 family).
Old 10th November 2017
I passed on Stam SA47, so super interested in this one. Hope they won't bump the price in the last minute lol
Old 10th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by haysonics View Post
Guosheng's 47 capsule is great so the question is - does the 5751 come close to doing what a VF14 does?
So it IS a Guosheng capsule? Can you confirm or are you just guessing like me?
Old 10th November 2017
December is going to be really hard on my wallet. You have Antelope Discrete 4 interface with the Edge mic, Luke Audio multi capsule mic, on and on. There are a lot of "47" tribute mics in the market and I'm sure Warm's will be excellent for its price point. This is truly the "golden" age of home/project studio recording with so many quality choices. Tascam set the mark, followed by access to multi-track digital recording unheard of back then.
Old 10th November 2017
Lives for gear

The price is kind of tempting, but after hearing some shootouts between the Warm 87 and the Stam 87, I'm very much inclined to save a bit more and get the Stam.
If I ever decided to get me a 47-like mic, that is...
Old 10th November 2017
Lives for gear

I wish WA had a frequency response and polar chart somewhere on their page...
Old 10th November 2017
Lives for gear

I need another mic like I need a hole in my head but the AMI transformer in the spec did make me go
Old 19th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismeraz View Post
I wish WA had a frequency response and polar chart somewhere on their page...
Check the manual...duh!

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/dada9...4c19d58f1c.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Warm u47?-f23e34f4-9579-4e3f-99b2-84943ee34079.jpg  
Old 19th December 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post
I need another mic like I need a hole in my head but the AMI transformer in the spec did make me go
The hell you say? We can always use more mics!!!
Old 19th December 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han View Post
That sure looks like Guosheng's capsule. It even looks like his measurements too!
The specs from the Warbler IID from his website:
Attached Thumbnails
Warm u47?-3uaudio-warbleriid.jpg  
Old 20th December 2017
Lives for gear

They do look similar. I have no idea about warbler mics nor who makes their capsules. I’m just interested in this warm 47jr.
I’ve read about the warbler mics here, but not much. I’d be curious to how the two compare.

How much does that warbler mic cost?
Old 20th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han View Post
They do look similar. I have no idea about warbler mics nor who makes their capsules. I’m just interested in this warm 47jr.
I’ve read about the warbler mics here, but not much. I’d be curious to how the two compare.

How much does that warbler mic cost?
I've asked them about the prices about a year ago, and multipattern Warblers were $362 including shipping. Keep in mind though that 3U mics have transformers, so even if the capsule is quite possibly the same they can sound a bit different. Considering that they're about the same price
Old 20th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyjanopan View Post
I've asked them about the prices about a year ago, and multipattern Warblers were $362 including shipping. Keep in mind though that 3U mics have transformers, so even if the capsule is quite possibly the same they can sound a bit different. Considering that they're about the same price
Dude, thanks for the heads up.
I’m on the other threads and listening to that dude Regans clips. Damn....
Hard to beat those for the price. I’m in Taiwan and shipping to me from warbler on eBay is $2.00!!!!

I’ve wanted To get a few mics and the newer fet mics from warm and those warblers are interesting. Too many choices

Back to the OP....anyone tested the 47jr? Really curious about its mono OH and outside of kick potentials
Old 21st December 2017
Gear Guru

My casual quick first impressions... I heard a sound clip, from Sweetwater. I thought the Warm 47 sounded quite promising. I thought the $300 'junior' mic sounded pretty generic and sort of poor. I'm curious what other people thought of the Sweetwater promo/demo.
Old 21st December 2017
Lives for gear

I already own a Barbaric Amplification BA-49, which uses a 3U K47 capsule, NOS 5840W subminiature tube, and a Cinemag OT. I'm guessing that the WA47 would be a lateral move at best. Any reason to think otherwise?
Old 21st December 2017
Gear Addict

super curious to see how this pans out, and hear it against the Peluso, etc....
Old 22nd December 2017
mic is great. wa 47 ftw

Old 6th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.F.Sorrow View Post
the question is of course how close it is to a real "47".
I too would be very interested to hear that comparison.

I just got the wa47 from my local dealer for testing.
However it’s hard to know how good/bad it is when I don’t have the point of reference.
Meaning a Neumann or Telefunken u47.

Now am really curious.
Old 16th March 2019
Lives for gear

This (totally random guy on the internet) kept on about the “chewed up” frequency response chart for the WA47.

I don’t really know how to interpret those charts. Can someone more knowledgeable explain why he’s right or wrong about that?

He didn’t conduct himself in a way that built any credibility, but it just made me curious.

Link from channel called “Microphones”:
YouTube
Old 16th March 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by proxy View Post
This (totally random guy on the internet) kept on about the “chewed up” frequency response chart for the WA47.

I don’t really know how to interpret those charts. Can someone more knowledgeable explain why he’s right or wrong about that?

He didn’t conduct himself in a way that built any credibility, but it just made me curious.

YouTube
Most published frequency response graphs of microphones are "smoothed" to a significant degree, like I'm sure that the Neumann one was. Nothing looks that perfect un-smoothed.

I have to say, that Warm graph does look really wild. Almost like a ribbon mic graph would look.
Old 17th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by proxy View Post

YouTube
As monkeyxx said, the Neumann graph is smoothed. It gives a simple and therefore useful indication of what the mic sounds like. In raw form it looks different, but with similar levels of variation as the Warm 47 graph. The Warm graph shows less than 5dB variance from the 1kHz baseline over the whole range which is not exactly what you would call flat but certainly indicative of a U47. How it "sounds" is really another matter as the U47 is a special mic where a dozen, maybe up to 15, of it's elements (notably the VF14 tube) contribute to it's sound and where I prefer graphs in a reasonably raw state. No surprise that guy disables comments.
Old 17th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by haysonics View Post
No surprise that guy disables comments.
Haha. Yes, I thought the same thing. Seemed more like an emotionally charged and partially-informed tantrum, but it did make me curious to know what meaningful information comes from those graphs.

So, we’re saying that all microphones exhibit a generally similar level of variance if not smoothed, and most mic makers smooth the lines because the more useful information is the overall emphasis and slopes of mids, highs, and lows?

And that this person was basically comparing apples to oranges?
Old 17th March 2019
Lives for gear

I have a WA-47 and a pair of WA-47jr FET models. I like the WA-47 a lot, it's smooth and juicy on male vocals without any excessive sibilance or high frequency boost.

The 47jr FET model uses the same capsule as the more expensive tube model and it sounds very good for a relatively low cost mic (about $250 each purchased as a pair).

Good music to all!
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
I own one of each, and I'm finding the jr hasn't fit well on most of the things I've tried it on. I'm doing some drum recording soon-ish and I may try it as a crotch/fat mic, or maybe a secondary room. But as the primary voice on most sources I've put it in front of, I haven't loved it as much as I'd hoped I would, to the point that I'm wondering if mine has a fault of some sort. There's a distinct lack of clarity with mine—not pleasant darkness like I'd hoped, but more mushy-muffly. Hope that description wasn't too technical for you all
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm using a pair of the WA-47jr, ORTF to record stereo into a Grace m801 preamp using an Apogee Symphony MK-II converter. I'm monitoring through a Neve 8816 and Meyer HD monitors.

If you've got both then the WA-47 would be the obvious choice for singing vocals and it's one of my personal favorites, no annoying sibilance. The jr does not have sibilance either but it's not as juicy sounding as the WA-47.

Placement of the mic is everything. I've been recording for over 50 years and I'm continually amazed how much mic placement affects performance.

For recording loud clean electric guitar with lots of complex reverb in a big room the pair of WA-47jr displaced my vintage pair of AKG 414B-ULS. Both were flown on the Latch Lake 2200 boom arm, ORTF and recorded the same content (though different performances). The WA-47jr not only held their own, they beat the old AKG for creating an interesting and large stereo sound. They don't sound cheap or bad when used right.

Good music to you!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search