Snare
Drumbuss
Old 26th October 2017
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Anyone?
Old 27th October 2017
No one has responded because you use different settings for every instrument in each song. There are no favorite settings. The settings for each instrument will change depending on the song its in and the sound you want for that instrument. So for bass you will have a different setting in every song its in and so on and so on.
Capeshe?
Old 27th October 2017
Yeah I change the settings every time. That’s what the knobs are for!
Old 27th October 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsnow View Post
Hi all
Not a thread for "if you like it or not"
Just favorite settings for

Mix
Vocals
Guitar
Bass
Snare
Drumbuss
Mixes...typically use HX mode calibration, Deck HI, Bias (+), Enhance set to taste (anywheres from 1 to 5 clicks), Headroom set between Pro to Hi. Gain dependent for certain, the less you push the input the less compression and sat you gain. Not even the tip of the iceberg but if you can hit it hot just to see what happens, you'll begin to see why input gain is key.

Vocals, unless its an effecty vocal or a super retro thing, I stick with HX mode, Bias is typically at 12 oclock, Enhance 1 or 2 clicks on average, Headroom set to Pro or HI.

Guitar, for clean stuff similar to Vocals, for heavy stuff or driven stuff I like MX mode but with similar settings save for Bias (+) and Headroom Hi. MX mode will allow more compression to help contour the transient response on your heavy guitars while keeping out the harsh.

Snare, I like HX mode, but Deck Hi, Bias 12 oclock, Enhance 0 and headroom Pro or Hi. Smack it like it stole something on the input, if you have inline EQ use the treble boost and see how it plays into the behavior of Zulu.

Drumbuss, what kind of production? Super goofy retro drums, try TK mode but Deck Pro, Bias (+), Enhance 2 to 4 clicks at maximum (or 0 Enhance), Headroom can be Lo Pro or Hi, but your ears make that decision. 70s stuff switch over to MX, closer to modern but tapey try EX or HX, change Deck to HI. Listen for the snare's behavior and the kick drum. The cymbal detail will shift around alot between the calibrations. The attack will change too.

All of these are basic starting points but you can totally switch things up and find your magic spot, some users like ALOT of Enhance but also use very LITTLE treble boosting anywhere else on their mixes. Enhance is very addictive but when misunderstood can blur how the controls work on Zulu. Its an additive control so once you get round 12 oclock the other controls work differently on transients and frequencies.

Hope that helps!

Thanks
-L.
Old 27th October 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I’d add what I find crucial is how hard I’m hitting Zulu upfront. A setting one might name will not sound anything alike if we are hitting it +-15db, but that being said,

2mix: I’ll hit it hard, and find that pro/pro with bias at noon and enhance at 2-3 clicks just floats my boat. MX or higher. I hear some bass compression and some highs rounding out and mid range excitement.

I’ll mix into that, and not slap it in at the end- that helps
Old 28th October 2017
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Thanks for the replies. I recently ordered one but haven't got it in yet, so was just wondering some good starting points.
Old 28th October 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfurry View Post
I’d add what I find crucial is how hard I’m hitting Zulu upfront. A setting one might name will not sound anything alike if we are hitting it +-15db, but that being said,

2mix: I’ll hit it hard, and find that pro/pro with bias at noon and enhance at 2-3 clicks just floats my boat. MX or higher. I hear some bass compression and some highs rounding out and mid range excitement.

I’ll mix into that, and not slap it in at the end- that helps
Alan Evans likes the Pro deck in MX mode too.

I've noticed by listening to his work that Enhance can get crunchy at the 90-100 settings if you spank it. The deck differences still pop out in that setting too. Try MX or HX as well. He did a 60s sounding production with a ton of Enance but it was just a beautiful crunchy 60s sound. More tape and transistor, International Man of Mystery vibe. Not easy to do. The trick as well is to avoid too much treble on the sources during mixdown. Enhance has so much pretty leading edge that doesn't need a bunch of help in the highs. I like cranking Bass into Enhance.

Thanks
-L.
Old 30th October 2017
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Hey Langston - a question for you that probably only you can answer.

I've been thinking about getting a 1176 knockoff for some in your face magic on vocals. I have an Aphex 651 that Jim Williams modded for me, so it's reeel clean. I looked at my Zulu and it told me to ask you: what setting would you use as a starting point after the 651 (to my knowledge it adds no transformers to the signal) to approximate a 1176?

This might turn out to be a useful starting point for anyone with a decent but polite sounding compressor.

Any thoughts?
Old 30th October 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by changeng View Post
Hey Langston - a question for you that probably only you can answer.

I've been thinking about getting a 1176 knockoff for some in your face magic on vocals. I have an Aphex 651 that Jim Williams modded for me, so it's reeel clean. I looked at my Zulu and it told me to ask you: what setting would you use as a starting point after the 651 (to my knowledge it adds no transformers to the signal) to approximate a 1176?

This might turn out to be a useful starting point for anyone with a decent but polite sounding compressor.

Any thoughts?
That's a bit of a stretch to be honest. I'd say if you want your comp to sound more characterish, I'd try Zulu in MX mode but that's not going to change your comp into an 1176. I would recommend Zulu before or after to see how that sorts out for you.
If Zulu is after the comp, use the gain into Zulu for more tape compression opportunities.

Thanks
-L.
Old 30th October 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
That's a bit of a stretch to be honest. I'd say if you want your comp to sound more characterish, I'd try Zulu in MX mode but that's not going to change your comp into an 1176. I would recommend Zulu before or after to see how that sorts out for you.
If Zulu is after the comp, use the gain into Zulu for more tape compression opportunities.

Thanks
-L.
I’d say put Zulu after the comp and drive it like crazy.
Old 30th October 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
@ lang ston. Just want to say congrats on your 1st real release being a complete hit. We’ve talked many years ago about you building me a summing mixer/tone box. You were very passionate about gear and electronics and you certainly exceeded my expectations with Zulu. It is truly an incredible tone box.
Now...4 channels is not enough. Let’s get these multiple channel units ready
Old 31st October 2017
FWIW I just mastered a song through Zulu when the client asked for a more classic vibe.

Mastered from stems into RND5059 with blue silk at 12 o clock
the mix was pretty honky/nasally/boomy and lacking some high end, so I went into an API eq and took out a little 200 and 1.5 and boosted a little above 10k

Then my Zulu settings were
HX
Deck HI
Bias one click under +
Enhance 3 clicks above 0
Headroom Hi

Back into pro tools, did a touch of single band compression and then finalizing limiter.

Sounded exquisite.
Old 8th November 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsnow View Post
Hi all
Not a thread for "if you like it or not"
Just favorite settings for

Mix
Vocals
Guitar
Bass
Snare
Drumbuss
Reported to me from a pro:

Bricasti M7 into Zulu set to TK Mode, LO Deck, Bias set to 12 oclock, Enhance set to 1 or 2 clicks maximum, Headroom set to LO (drive to taste): equals a delicious midrange and settlement into the record that without is not possible.

In the past I always popped a saturation plugin on reverb to make it sound more interesting and added an 1176 in all buttons mode but in parallel on the verb itself to give it more breath and fun during the mix.

Speaking from experience that these same settings with Enhance on 0 or 1, this is pretty vicious on delays.

Thanks
-L.
Old 8th November 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:

Bricasti M7 into Zulu set to TK Mode, LO Deck, Bias set to 12 oclock, Enhance set to 1 or 2 clicks maximum, Headroom set to LO (drive to taste): equals a delicious midrange and settlement into the record that without is not possible.

In the past I always popped a saturation plugin on reverb to make it sound more interesting and added an 1176 in all buttons mode but in parallel on the verb itself to give it more breath and fun during the mix.

Speaking from experience that these same settings with Enhance on 0 or 1, this is pretty vicious on delays.

Thanks
-L.
This I gotta try! Thanks L
Old 14th October 2019 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Bricasti setting

Any idea what Bricasti setting?

Quote:

Thanks
-L.

Last edited by psycho_monkey; 14th October 2019 at 05:23 AM..
Old 20th October 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfunny72 View Post
Any idea what Bricasti setting?
PM me any time and I can go over that topic. It is primarily VLF and Early adjustment. Most often no actual reverb.

-Casey
Old 20th October 2019
Lives for gear

19 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Those of us that used to or currently using tape: Did you change the bias, headroom etc all the time or just set it up and record...tracking everything, mixing etc. I never used bias as an effect. So...I treat Zulu like a reel to reel. I set it and forget it. Tracking mode, high headroom bias at 12:00 and one click of enhance. I tried to match the sound of my Tascam reel to reel and it'a nearly identical to my ears with those settings. I don't change anything. I have to many other gear pieces to tweak and just want ZULU to be a set and forget tape substitute.
Old 26th November 2019
Just picked one up and playing with it now. Im noticing it's dropping the volume about 5db, is make-up gain needed after this? I'm liking the subtle softening but not getting it to really sing yet... I'm hitting it like -12db on the mix bus, I go lower with some gear but this can def take it. Should I be hitting it harder? thanks
Old 27th November 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by szyam View Post
Just picked one up and playing with it now. Im noticing it's dropping the volume about 5db, is make-up gain needed after this? I'm liking the subtle softening but not getting it to really sing yet... I'm hitting it like -12db on the mix bus, I go lower with some gear but this can def take it. Should I be hitting it harder? thanks
I say hit it much harder. The signal loss goes way down. I do make up a bit after, but if I’m hitting it hard it might be 2 dB.

And the tones I like are easier to get to. Try pro deck/ pro headroom/ Mx/ with bias at noon and a click or two of enhance while hitting it hard. It does what I want to lows, a compressed solidity, and makes the mids sweeter, especially noticeable on guitars...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfurry View Post
I say hit it much harder. The signal loss goes way down. I do make up a bit after, but if I’m hitting it hard it might be 2 dB.

And the tones I like are easier to get to. Try pro deck/ pro headroom/ Mx/ with bias at noon and a click or two of enhance while hitting it hard. It does what I want to lows, a compressed solidity, and makes the mids sweeter, especially noticeable on guitars...
OK cool thanks for that. I wont be able to get back to it for a few days but will try a few things. Since there is no bypass it was a little tricky to AB since when I bypassed pipeline in studio one ( their plugin for incorporating HW ) the signal was way louder. I found I actually had to bump up the return gain on the plugin to sort of level match it. Thats why I was wondering if I needed some preamps or makeup gain after? I mean i guess it is a passive device... cheers
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by szyam View Post
OK cool thanks for that. I wont be able to get back to it for a few days but will try a few things. Since there is no bypass it was a little tricky to AB since when I bypassed pipeline in studio one ( their plugin for incorporating HW ) the signal was way louder. I found I actually had to bump up the return gain on the plugin to sort of level match it. Thats why I was wondering if I needed some preamps or makeup gain after? I mean i guess it is a passive device... cheers
You are exactly right. It’s passive, so if you’re level matching you need something to bring it up
📝 Reply