The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
8 to 2 Patch bay ?(CLEAN - No color volume) Mixers (Analog)
Old 12th October 2017
Gear Maniac

8 to 2 Patch bay ?(CLEAN - No color volume)

Im looking for some kind of passive mixer or patch

NO color no eq no volume no nothing. Just like a patch but with 8 inputs to 2.

I have an apogee duet, this is just to save time to change cables and have all inputs connected from my instruments with no hasse to the AD converter.

Any suggestions?
Old 12th October 2017
Lives for gear

If you plan on leaving all 8 inputs plugged in it's not going to work unless the inputs are buffered from one another using an instrument level mixer.

If you simply tie all 8 inputs together, When you turn the volume down on one instrument, it shorts the hot and ground together. The volume or tone turned down on one instrument will affect all the other instruments (just like it does plugging two instruments into a dual input, single channel amp)

Even when they are turned up, the pickups of all the instruments will be in parallel and your total impedance will be way too low, the signal so weak, you'd be lucky to get any sound at all, and the coloration? Forget it, it aint gonna happen.

You would either need to use an active mixer or use switches to only connect the one instrument being used and disconnect all others to prevent these things from happening.

Don't know if anyone sells something like that. They most you'll find is an A/B switch pedal for two instruments. You'd have to build your own. Average price for parts, 8 switches, 9 jacks, and a box to mount them inside will cost you about $100 give or take. The wiring part would be very easy so even someone with basic soldering skills could build one. Drilling the holes is the only real hard work. The switches only need to be SPST style and can be pushbutton or toggle. You could probably do it with a single 8 position rotary switch too, though they can be a bit more difficult to find the exact one and wire up.
Old 13th October 2017
Lives for gear

I would look into an Ashly 308 (used) or a Mackie 1202 (preferrably VLZ4)
Old 20th October 2017
Gear Maniac

wowo wonderful. thank you very much.

okay regarding a mixer my problem is that mixers will adulterate the sound somehow!! thats what I didnt wanted.

I want to be as clean as possible.. any passive mixer you know is capable of this??

No EQ no nothing just cleaan signal
Old 20th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by makasi View Post
wowo wonderful. thank you very much.

okay regarding a mixer my problem is that mixers will adulterate the sound somehow!! thats what I didnt wanted.

I want to be as clean as possible.. any passive mixer you know is capable of this??

No EQ no nothing just cleaan signal
The only thing I know of would be a passive summing box. You would need make up gain afterwards to get it back to a usable level. Something like the Roll Music Folcrom is a classic example or the very affordable DIY kits from DIY Recording Equipment dot com.

The Mackie VLZ4 does not degrade my sound, I like how my synths are sounding.

The Ashly would be a future solution for me, I don't have one yet. My plan with that one, would be to go through and upgrade caps and op amps, so it's more "invisible" like you say. There are companies out there that mod gear like this all the time, I'm sure you could pay someone to do the work. Jim Williams is one on our very own forum. Dan Deurloo as well. JJ Audio. Then Revive Audio, etc.
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search