The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Warm Audio WA87 - Sensitivity???
Old 12th October 2017
Lives for gear

Warm Audio WA87 - Sensitivity???

Warm Audios specs don't state the sensitivity (mv/PA) nor can I find it anywhere in a search. Any other mic I've got has this published. Any ideas what it might be for each polar pattern? I mostly keep it as reference so when I set a preamp gain I have ballpark idea where it should be compared to other mics.
Old 27th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF48 View Post
Warm Audios specs don't state the sensitivity (mv/PA) nor can I find it anywhere in a search. Any other mic I've got has this published. Any ideas what it might be for each polar pattern? I mostly keep it as reference so when I set a preamp gain I have ballpark idea where it should be compared to other mics.
Yes, Im resurrecting a dead thread!

But I had a chance to test a new U87ai vs a WA87 today.
What I CAN tell you, is that it needed 10dB more gain than the U87.
Using an Avid Omni HD, the U87 was at 39, the WA 87 was at 49!!!
But I understand the WA87 also has more headroom.
Old 27th March 2019
Lives for gear

I have a zen modded WA-87.

I’ve noticed it needs a lot of gain, so this thread helps explain it!

Sounds awesome with my Great River, which luckily has a lot of quiet gain
Old 27th March 2019
Lives for gear

The one I tried was several dB hotter than my U87s.
Old 17th April 2019
Quote:
You can contact most microphone companies to ask them, which is what I did. I have been thinking of getting a wa87.

The guy from warm audio said "wa87's sensitivity is 8mV/Pa and the S/N is 79db(A)".
Old 18th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon K View Post
You can contact most microphone companies to ask them, which is what I did. I have been thinking of getting a wa87.

The guy from warm audio said "wa87's sensitivity is 8mV/Pa and the S/N is 79db(A)".
Thanks Gideon. Made note of it on my mic spreadsheet.
Old 18th April 2019
Quote:
Thanks Gideon. Made note of it on my mic spreadsheet.
I have one of those too.

Is that a common practice? I thought I was being a geek.
Old 18th April 2019
JAT
Lives for gear
The wa model is based on the original 87, not the 87ai. It is about 3 dB down from the modern 87.
Old 20th January 2020
Here for the gear

How much gain WA87 needs to get usable levels?

I am having issues of output being too low (e.g. not even close to -18 dBFS) when connected on my Audient ID22, which has 60dB of gain, and cranked to max.

Thanks in advance,
Old 20th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey91 View Post
How much gain WA87 needs to get usable levels?

I am having issues of output being too low (e.g. not even close to -18 dBFS) when connected on my Audient ID22, which has 60dB of gain, and cranked to max.

Thanks in advance,
Just making sure: the id and the mic have the pads turned off?
Old 20th January 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMassacre View Post
Just making sure: the id and the mic have the pads turned off?
Yes, both pads turned off, phantom power on, 6m long cable.

I have checked the ID22 preamps using preamp check procedure provided by Audient, turned out to be in fine working condition.

My older AKG P120 is doing fine with loud results with preamps around 3-4 o'clock.

Warm Audio replied that, as marketed, WA87 is based on older gear and it requires 70 (dB), which is more that I have at the moment (60db). What puzzles me is that, while doing research before I went with WA87, that I have stumbled upon people having same setup, without reporting anything similar. Sweetwater even sells ID22-WA87 combo!
Old 21st January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey91 View Post
Yes, both pads turned off, phantom power on, 6m long cable.

I have checked the ID22 preamps using preamp check procedure provided by Audient, turned out to be in fine working condition.

My older AKG P120 is doing fine with loud results with preamps around 3-4 o'clock.

Warm Audio replied that, as marketed, WA87 is based on older gear and it requires 70 (dB), which is more that I have at the moment (60db). What puzzles me is that, while doing research before I went with WA87, that I have stumbled upon people having same setup, without reporting anything similar. Sweetwater even sells ID22-WA87 combo!
70dB?? Hardly. When I tested the WA87, it was 49 with a spoken voice at 6inches.
And that was a hot recording in Protools via an Omni HD.
Old 21st January 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
70dB?? Hardly. When I tested the WA87, it was 49 with a spoken voice at 6inches.
And that was a hot recording in Protools via an Omni HD.
Solved. Tested with different cable it was all fine

It seems that one of connector pins was loose.

Thanks for the help
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search