The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apogee + Big Knob Passive vs Big Knob Studio
Old 27th October 2018
Here for the gear

I've owned a Big Knob Studio for several months now. When they came out it really was a game changer for me as it was the only solution at this budget (and even higher) to get either 2 preamps, an audio interface and a monitoring controller with 2 speakers output, into one box. I mean, if you search for suchs specs you won't scroll long down the list. Anyway, the use it pretty flawless:
I haven't use the preamps so much but they sound decent to me, only not very powerful and clear.
The interface is working fin but the drivers are very limited (well Mackie are not known for that so not a surprise).
The monitoring control is also working fine except, as said before an asymetry in levels in low volume and most importantly quite a disturbing noise in high levels (like half the course of the knob) when source is USB (don't know where it comes from but it was on the fisrt one i purchased and that i returned, was also on the second but a bit quieter ). So not very usable with low sources coming from the computer.
Furthermore the double headphone output is working fine too (but same noise problem as monitoring).
I don't regret buying it but i definitely don't consider it as an ultimate solution. Looking forward for some RME **** and some SPL monitoring controller i guess.
Old 26th November 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oopfoo View Post
Got rid of my first-gen Big Knob because of noise. Has this issue been improved?
Same issue here...went with the passive big knob because of humming.
Old 26th November 2018
Lives for gear

I have a big knob passive--for less than a year. Yes, lower levels are not symmetrical--I have been advised a work-around is to use the dim function to push the adjustment into the higher areas of the knob. It also has developed a scratchy noise when I turn the knob. So, when something only really has one function--a pot to control volume, and the pot has two separate problems, seems to me to be a fail. I won't be getting any more of these. Maybe somebody will post a way to put a high quality pot into it (really just a part number) so the box itself can be re-used. I have had problems with mackie digital products in the past, so I avoid them.
Old 12th December 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear
I've been using Big Knob (1st Edition) for about 5-6 years now. After 2 years knobs and buttons became really noisy and scratchy. Some of them not functioning, and distorting the sound on left speaker constantly. Headphone amps are good and it does color the sound and you notice it right away.
I am using it between UA Apollo Quad Legacy to Adam Audio A77x / Avantone MixCubes with a proper treated room.

I really like versatility but they are not designed to last. A bit short for Dangerous or Crane so I will go with the Drawmer Cmc2 also. Really good reviews on that for its price.
Old 12th December 2018
Gear Guru

I own a Drawmer MC2.1, my posts are a little confusing in this thread.

My earlier monitor control was an SM Pro M Patch 2 which I eventually had to throw in the trash. It was unrepairable. It also had coloration issues, sonically.

The MC2.1 is an active circuit which sounds more neutral than a passive circuit like the SM Pro (which has also been rebranded but I can't remember the brand). A lot of the cheap monitor controllers are a "stereo pot in a box." Balance issues are common, as well as impedance issues which result in sonic coloration. I don't know about the Mackie. Pot and switch quality is critical since these are constantly getting jammed and cranked.

The great thing about the Drawmer is you can order replacement parts to keep it going. I got a new volume pot assembly from a warehouse store out west in the USA. In the UK they have a parts store you can order from online.

The monitor control area is something you want to spend $500+ on to get something good that will last, I can recommend the Drawmer as a good option. It also looks like Coleman Audio is doing some great ones but they are rackmount and more expensive, which may or may not work for your given setup.

If you have a high end monitoring rig with great speakers, power amp, DAC, acoustics, and so on, the high end monitor control is an element of that puzzle.
Old 12th December 2018
Lives for gear

Big Knob original is a nice unit that I've used in the past. My orpheus provides this funcion now so it's kinda been deprecated for now. I really like it though.
📝 Reply