The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Resonance Sound Equipment Tube channel strip
Old 27th September 2017
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Resonance Sound Equipment Tube channel strip

This fledgling Ukrainian company seems interesting. Makes various tube stuff, pedals to hi-fi amps.

His first "studio" piece is the TPC-I, which is a tube pre, with some EQ and filters and an opto compressor. DI input can be added but it comes with both mic and line level inputs. The price seems decent ($400 I think). Anyone want to jump in and give one a go? I've shared a few emails with the guy and he seems cool.

He is working on his website, so it's not perfect yet and the info for the channel strip is not complete, so here is all the full info, which I took off an Ebay listing.

The device has the following characteristics:
Power supply voltage: 220V / 50Hz Β± 5% (110V / 60Hz)
Input impedance: selectable (500R/2 kΞ©/100kΞ©)
Output Impedance: 100 Ohm
Frequency range: selectable (20Hz/100Hz - 17kHz (Β± 0.5dB))
Coef. Distortion: 0.175% (at 30 dB)
Fully symmetrical input and output on special high quality transformers
Adjustment range for the depth of compression: 0-1 / 50
Adjustable High - Low pass filter
Gain: 75 dB
Two backlighted level indicators.
Switches to select speed of compression, compression mode (compressor,limiter bypass), turning phantom voltage 48V and selection of indication mode (Gain reduction/out signal)
The design has a classic style with black controls and metal switches on the black body.
The device has two modifications. First - cheaper with USSR tubes 6N23P and 6N6P(default version), and more expensive - with TESLA GOLD PINS tubes E88CC. You can ask for the second variant and I'll add new item to selling.

Last edited by Mr Funk; 5th October 2017 at 08:37 PM..
Old 5th October 2017
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
OK, so discovered the tranny in this thing is unique, built on mu metal with an ultra wide frequency response and one of compression modes is in la2a style. Chris at Barbaric Amplification looked at the inside pic I had and says "it looks beautiful" and is a "steal" at the asking price. I'm getting me one early next year and will be doing a review. I'd love to get it now, but just no money at all.
Old 6th October 2017
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Do I need stepped attenuators to mod this so the Thrashold goes to 11?

Old 6th October 2017
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
haha. I think the meter and the ears are all you need to set a threshold, but that's just me. However, I did think the numbering was a bit odd.
Old 6th October 2017
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Here is the pic of the inside, which you can see is a nice build. This is not a kit, according to the guy selling these, they are his design.
Attached Thumbnails
Resonance Sound Equipment Tube channel strip-s-l1600.jpg  
Old 6th October 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Id grab one on principal alone just to help him get started at that price.
Old 6th October 2017
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Exactly, that's what I'm going to do but not till Feb. I think this will be a good bit of kit though. Even using the line input with no amp gain and the comp bypassed, you still get 3 tubes to saturate your signal! I'm definitely getting a DI added though.
Old 6th October 2017
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I told him I'd spread the word about his gear, so if anyone buys one, please mention Kane, so he knows I did tell you guys about him and was not just saying I would.
Old 6th October 2017
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I've always wanted a Thrashold control. Can I connect a certain client directly to this function?
Old 6th October 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Popp ➑️
I've always wanted a Thrashold control. Can I connect a certain client directly to this function?
haha, not even noticed that! Brilliant.

I did notice the LPF should be labeled HPF though.
Old 7th October 2017
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I've mentioned this thread to the builder, so don't be surprised if he pops along to take some questions about his gear.
Old 7th October 2017
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I just asked him about building a Vari-MU compressor next and he said "no problem". Said he would expect a dual mono, with stereo linking to only be about $500, but even if that goes up to say $700, would still be a bloody steal in my opinion. Once I get a chance to check out this TPC-1, if I like it, I may just get him to build me the vari-mu.
Old 7th October 2017
RSE
Here for the gear

hello

hi guys, I am the designer/builder of the TPC-1 and can answer any questions you may have
Old 7th October 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSE ➑️
hi guys, I am the designer/builder of the TPC-1 and can answer any questions you may have
Well, I've pretty much asked you all the questions I had, but good to have you in the thread.

I didn't ask you about your history, how you came to making recording gear?
Old 7th October 2017
RSE
Here for the gear

I'm into electronics since my childhood. And now I enjoy not only studio, but all types of audio equipment. My wife is a jazz signer so once she asked me to make a home recording for some concert plus. That was the starting point and I made my first tube mic preamp. After that I built a similar device for her friend, director of a recording studio. He was impressed by my work and gave me the advice to start my own business. At this moment I have a few models of tube preamps, a small guitar pedals set, working under power amplifier with DSP and a web interface. From time to time I build home tube amplifiers on request.
Old 7th October 2017
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
This looks really interesting to me as well - I've seen them on Ebay and wanted to try one out but it's a little too much money for a total unknown. RSE would you consider loaning or giving one to someone on gearslutz with a good reputation, this could get the ball rolling and we could hear comparisons. Alternatively, can you put up some comparisons with some well known preamps/compressors like a 1073 and a 3a? Or maybe a Lachapelle in the tube realm.
Old 8th October 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rchristophc ➑️
This looks really interesting to me as well - I've seen them on Ebay and wanted to try one out but it's a little too much money for a total unknown. RSE would you consider loaning or giving one to someone on gearslutz with a good reputation, this could get the ball rolling and we could hear comparisons. Alternatively, can you put up some comparisons with some well known preamps/compressors like a 1073 and a 3a? Or maybe a Lachapelle in the tube realm.
Hey look, the starting price of $250 is certainly not a lot for an unknown bit of kit, that is behringer money! If I were working, I'd snap one up instantly. At $400 I still think it's a great deal. However, if nobody else has bought one before I can get one in about 4 months, I promise I'll post some clips etc.
Old 8th October 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If dude takes paypal ill be the guinea pig.

One question i would have is would you be able to customize on request? Lets say instead of the transformers you use would you be able to put some Jensen transformers in there? Im a Jensen *****
RSE
Here for the gear

comparison

Quote:
...can you put up some comparisons with some well known preamps/compressors ...
Yes, I made comparison

RSE
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 ➑️

One question i would have is would you be able to customize on request? Lets say instead of the transformers you use would you be able to put some Jensen transformers in there? Im a Jensen *****
Paypal? Why not.
I'm ready for any customization, Jensen transformers - not a problem. But price will be higher (one JT-115K-E costs $73.32 and one JT-10K61-1M=$137.02). I assure you my transformers not worse. They are different, but have stunning parameters.
Old 8th October 2017
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Is there a website or eBay link?
RSE
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subframe ➑️
Is there a website or eBay link?
See in PM (not to be considered advertising)
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 ➑️

I'd personally stick with the original transformers, as they have been chosen to be great at a great price. If the builder is telling you they won't be any better, just different yet is not losing anything buy fitting them for you at a higher cost, then that tells me he genuinely thinks a Jensen will not necessarily be an upgrade, but obviously will sound a little different.

It's great that you are going to buy one, wish i could have afforded to be the guinea pig, just literally had no income since july!
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSE ➑️
Yes, I made comparison

Thank you!
If you have time, can you show the compressor on some instruments - acoustic guitar (dry, compressed, limited) would be great
RSE
Here for the gear

Quote:
some instruments
Guys, which instruments interest you? I can compress 5-6 your uncompressed tracks with different compression parameters.
YourFile->DAC->MyCompressor->MyFile1
YourFile->DAC->MyCompressor->MyFile2
YourFile->DAC->MyCompressor->MyFile3
YourFile->DAC->MyCompressor->MyFile4
YourFile->DAC->MyCompressor->MyFile5
Old 8th October 2017
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
That's cool, get some files sent to him!
Old 8th October 2017
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
tube strip for 400,pre,eq,compressor.... not bad.. I book marked the ebay page so now I'll start to save the $

all it needs is a DI but not really an issue
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome ➑️
tube strip for 400,pre,eq,compressor.... not bad.. I book marked the ebay page so now I'll start to save the $

all it needs is a DI but not really an issue
Can you post the link?
Old 8th October 2017
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Doesn't really have EQ, just variable filters. I believe He will add DI if you want (I can't say say for sure) but not sure what the price will be but can't imagine it would be too much.
πŸ“ Reply