The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SummitAudio Element78MPE or Flamingo+IBIS
Old 19th October 2002
Gear Head

SummitAudio Element78MPE or Flamingo+IBIS

I finally decided on the Trakker, but should I choose the Summit Audio Element78MPE(Micpre+EQ) or the Cranesong Flamingo+IBIS???? I am looking for the ultimate vocal tracking chain into PT HD, I have allready decided to buy a 192 HEDD for A/D &D/A.

So how does the micpreamps hold up against each other and the EQ:s compared to each other???

The Microphones that are going to be used are not decided yet but I have a Manley REF-C, Groove Tubes MD3, a couple of ADK telefunken tube mics. But I am very open for suggestions. I am leaning to get a Neuman U87 and a AKG C12VR. But nothings decided on the mics yet. I am doing alot of Metal productions and Pop.
Old 19th October 2002
Gear Maniac

Det är en svår fråga. Jag tror att du behöver en tub Karlssons klister, så du kan limma ihop ditt förruttnade ansikte.... heh heh
Old 19th October 2002
Svenska Flikur!
Old 19th October 2002

I have never heard the Elemenet 78, but I did hear the Ibis and it was wonderful.
Old 19th October 2002
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
Svenska Flikur!
Yes Svenska flickor are good looking but I am sorry to dissapoint you, I am Male and have a weight of 108,8 KILO:s and that would be a couple of hundreds of pounds pure gearslut fat.heh

But if you want I can hook you up with Svenska flickor
Old 19th October 2002
Gear Maniac

hahahahahaha....!!!!!!!!!!heh heh heh
Old 19th October 2002
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally posted by EveAnna Manley
I have never heard the Elemenet 78, but I did hear the Ibis and it was wonderful.
Hi EveAnna, I love you for bringing such a wonderful Microphone into my world, I have a Manley REF-C and it is like an epedemic here in Sweden everybody that is into making Pop hits is using your Mic. Max Martin have used together with the Calrec Micpre.

I have tried the element78MPE, the micpreamp is great, and the EQ is very musical I have used it on Mastering and you can feel the sound instead of hearing it on top of the original material. And you run from Pro-Tools with the Extension78 plugin it is very cool, but I can't see any HD support yet.

To bad the SLAM became such an expensive piece of gear, now I have to robb some old harmless folks to get one or even robb a Bank.heh

Love your stuff
Old 19th October 2002
Gear Head

Excuse my extremely F****d up spelling, I have read so much posts on this forum I am getting dizzy, so I better start drinkin some beer so I have something realistic to tell everbody as a excuse for my dizzyness. I am not ready to come out of the closet to telll everybody around me that I am such big GEARSLUUUUT!
Old 19th October 2002
Re: SummitAudio Element78MPE or Flamingo+IBIS

I traded my MPE for just the EQ version alone. I thought the pre was ok, not as useful as i thought it would be. The Eq is a great tool, especially if you mix in Pro Tools. I think the ultimate vocal chain starts at the source and then from there on. I think the mic you choose is more important than the rest of the chain. With the right mic you will need less or no EQ. I am not digging some of your choices(especially the U87 and the over rated C12VR). With pop vocals a nice comp/limiter is recommended(right now I love the EAR 660 on vocals). The most imporatant factor which is not stressed enough for getting great vocals is how the vocalists hears themselves and how they feel in the moment. In the cans or out of phase speakers(NS10's are great for this), how they feel about themselves in the moment goes along way to a great take. In actuality you can get away with a U87/414/sm58 with a so so mic pre(many a pop performance has been recorded this way). As long as the person felt great in the moment and you were able to capture it.

Quote:
Originally posted by 2" Tape sucks!
I finally decided on the Trakker, but should I choose the Summit Audio Element78MPE(Micpre+EQ) or the Cranesong Flamingo+IBIS???? I am looking for the ultimate vocal tracking chain into PT HD, I have allready decided to buy a 192 HEDD for A/D &D/A.

So how does the micpreamps hold up against each other and the EQ:s compared to each other???

The Microphones that are going to be used are not decided yet but I have a Manley REF-C, Groove Tubes MD3, a couple of ADK telefunken tube mics. But I am very open for suggestions. I am leaning to get a Neuman U87 and a AKG C12VR. But nothings decided on the mics yet. I am doing alot of Metal productions and Pop.
Old 19th October 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

Re: SummitAudio Element78MPE or Flamingo+IBIS

Quote:
Originally posted by 2" Tape sucks!
I finally decided on the Trakker, but should I choose the Summit Audio Element78MPE(Micpre+EQ) or the Cranesong Flamingo+IBIS????
First off, you must be made of money. Second, I don't think anyone would argue that the Cranesong pieces would give you quite a few more sonic flavors than the Summit can by itself. Third, I'll bet anyone lots of money that the IBIS is going to be an instant classic must have piece. Get the IBIS! The only question is how soon do you "need" it? It may take awhile before you can get your hands on one.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search