The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kings of leon / Ethan johns
Old 27th April 2007
Gear Nut

Ethan Johns / Neves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josht View Post
Man, I love Ethan Johns so much, I love the sound of every record he's worked on (at least that I've heard). Its funny, I was just admiring how cool Blackbird is last night, and then I picked up the new Kings record to review for a radio station I DJ for and saw that it was recorded there (and at Sunset). Interesting that the record was done at the D room, I always thought Ethan Johns was way into Neves, I would have predicted the A room.
They did use quite a few channels of Neve 1073 (at least 8) as well as API and others. Hardly used the desk pres as I recall hearing. Ethan also has an impressive toy box and he brought a lot of that in. Outboard as well as instruments.
My office in our rental shop is right down the hall and I think we heard every bass note recorded on the album! Incredibly loud SVT behind 2 doors of ISO and it was still one of the loudest ever! AWWWSUM!
The resulting tracks are incredible.
BTW the chamber is about ~20' high and lined in several hand troweled layers of what I call 'real church plaster'. Oblong footprint floor approx 12' X 8'. Rounded "loose" radius corners and not a straight edge corner in the chamber except maybe where the wood floor meets the wall. Wonderfully full smooth decay, (our Studio A chamber has an adjustable motorized ceiling where you can shorten and lengthen decay).
Rock on!
Rolff
Old 27th April 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
You can check out some pics of the sessions at Ethan Johns' website:

// three crows music -- studio //

Looks like some kind LDC over the kit in the first pic (U67?). If you look at every other pic on his website of different groups he has Coles on OH.
These are NOT from the Blackbird sessions!
Rolff
Old 30th May 2007
Gear Addict

I love this record, the songs as well as the production. Recording has a clarity that alot of newer recordings dont seem to have.
Old 2nd June 2007
Gear Addict

Anyone have any other as to how this recorded was engineered? Mics, etc.?
Old 20th July 2007
Here for the gear

bump
Old 20th July 2007

I just saw the analyzer sheet for the new U2 record.

It looks like it's going to sound great.

heh
Old 20th July 2007
Gear Maniac

After hearing their first 2 (K.O.L.) albums I have to say this album sucks. Regardless of how it sounds. Which is not so good either, considering the people who worked on the record and place it was recorded.
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Man, I love Ethan Johns so much, I love the sound of every record he's worked on (at least that I've heard). Its funny, I was just admiring how cool Blackbird is last night, and then I picked up the new Kings record to review for a radio station I DJ for and saw that it was recorded there (and at Sunset). Interesting that the record was done at the D room, I always thought Ethan Johns was way into Neves, I would have predicted the A room.

Heh, heh... see... the thing about Blackbird (or Disneyland as it is often called locally)... is that there is enough of EVERYTHING, that you really can pick based on the room... and not necessarily the console.

I mean... litterally...they have tons of EVERYTHING. So... you need 24 1073's for your session? No prob.
Old 21st July 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Viscous View Post
This is their (and John's with them) worst record, but it still is a great sounding one. Another good one is the new Clutch record.
Agreed. Not a big fan of the songs on this one. The sounds are fantastic though.

The previous one, Aha Shake Heartbreak, is phenomenal. Great songs, great sounds, all live.
Old 21st July 2007
Gear Maniac

listen to it again.
it'll hit you
Old 21st July 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdrecordings View Post
...Regardless of how it sounds.Which is not so good either, considering the people who worked on the record and place it was recorded.
Really..
..please explain

And you could do a better job?
Old 21st July 2007
Gear Head

The sounds are Great, the music average or Below.

One reason it sounds good is it sounds like a band playing.

Without tons of tracks.

The singer is Terrible.

Nice tones but this band blows

byebye
mrfantastical
Old 8th July 2008
Lives for gear

bumping this old thread...

does anybody know if ethan johns recorded the drums on this album
with his usual 3 mic technique?

i think its a great sounding album and i usually do not like artificial reverb on drums but the reverb on this record is simply great.
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear
Anyone check out the videos for their new record? It appears they recorded the songs live in the same room. Can't wait to hear the whole thing.

"Sex on fire" is a great track.

thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search