The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
HW Worth Owning for Mixing Hybrid?
Old 4th October 2017 | Show parent
  #361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Indeed. Seems to me Sowters tend to have a bit of organic hair in the tone when Cinemags are mostly a bit more shiny/glowy.
Interesting, I was looking at some of their Urei replacements. I might try them.... Nothing solid state sounds as good as BBC Calrec pre's as far as I'm concerned.
Old 4th October 2017 | Show parent
  #362
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Interesting, I was looking at some of their Urei replacements. I might try them.... Nothing solid state sounds as good as BBC Calrec pre's as far as I'm concerned.
There was a guy on ebay uk selling a snotload of BBC transformers a little while back for dirt cheap. The ones from inside AM9 pres/etc.....bought a couple and potted in a box on their own. Sound like pure velvet.
Old 4th October 2017 | Show parent
  #363
Lives for gear
 
mutetourettes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
The intersample stuff is a pretty good argument for a summing box to avoid the potential latency smear trap all together.....
ello Karloff - I'm intrigued by your contributions to this thread, particularly about giving a mix more 'analogue' by sending out to any old boxes..

could you give me/us a quick run down of how this actually looks in your setup?
ie you have maybe 16 DA channels of which two is your ITB mix or eight are your stems and the rest are 'send out to boxes' channels - all to a summing box I suppose?

What elements of the mix do you find yourself 'sending' in this manner?

are you just using mults off your stem DA converters?

enquiring/confused minds need to know...
Old 4th October 2017 | Show parent
  #364
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes View Post
ello Karloff - I'm intrigued by your contributions to this thread, particularly about giving a mix more 'analogue' by sending out to any old boxes..

could you give me/us a quick run down of how this actually looks in your setup?
ie you have maybe 16 DA channels of which two is your ITB mix or eight are your stems and the rest are 'send out to boxes' channels - all to a summing box I suppose?

What elements of the mix do you find yourself 'sending' in this manner?

are you just using mults off your stem DA converters?

enquiring/confused minds need to know...
It's a 16 out SPL Madison to my own protoype summing (will become a product under the brand 2020Audio whenever we finish the next and last proto). Mostly at the minute I run an 'everything bus' and likely just split out bass and vocals to the summing, and the rest of the summing inputs are latency free hardware returns, basically.

So you set up sends from your daw to spare outs, then to whatever box, then from box into summing. Then you get completely latency-smear free parallel analogue things behind whatever you like. Push the daw send on a channel quite a bit and pull the fader = a now decidedly 'real' feeling sound. Also, since it is all parallel, the normal 'win some lose some' with cheap gear doesn't apply the same, like e.g. when you send a whole bus through a cheap and kind of small but nevertheless very cool sounding compressor. You don't lose the size or clarity, you just gain whatever flavour of cool.

It obviously depends on what the chosen piece of gear sounds like for which types of parts it turns out useful, and the tone will have to make sense in the chosen style of music (as ever), but nothing is sacred. And there is plenty scope to pre-eq and treat in whatever way desired on the daw sends with plugs before they leave for the hardware, making for great shaping control of the analog flavours, obviously all saved in perfect recall.

That's basically it. And since it is straight to summing and then for its first print, when you print the mix, you print a FIRST print of the hardware boxes. Virgin goodness/filth/muck/reality in da mix. If you have summing, try it with anything.
Old 4th October 2017 | Show parent
  #365
Got my 2nd Serpent Audio Splice MKII in yesterday! It's def my desert-island comp!
Attached Thumbnails
HW Worth Owning for Mixing Hybrid?-22140951_10212829015253025_4986982530491039166_n.jpg  
Old 4th October 2017 | Show parent
  #366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Indeed. Seems to me Sowters tend to have a bit of organic hair in the tone when Cinemags are mostly a bit more shiny/glowy.
Yup. You can hear the difference here:

Old 4th October 2017 | Show parent
  #367
AudioScapes OPTO on bass... holy moly!
Glued in the track... UAD La2a didn't even get close.
Old 4th October 2017
  #368
Here for the gear
 

Hi. I'm relatively new here. First post ever, when I saw this thread it seems perfect for my request

I just entered the outboard quest. I need a buss comp and I short listed
- Wes Audio Dione
- TK Audio BC-1s
- Elysia Xpressor
- TC electronic finalizer 96

I see they have been mentioned here and there in this thread.

I'm not expecting some of you owning them all and a/b testing but from your experience which one could be the go to as first buss comp gear? I would avoid stuff well over 1.5k € (or dollars)

I mix Rock

Thanks!
G
Old 4th October 2017 | Show parent
  #369
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily View Post
AudioScapes OPTO on bass... holy moly!
Glued in the track... UAD La2a didn't even get close.
What did you expect? A sprint finish?
Old 4th October 2017 | Show parent
  #370
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily View Post
Got my 2nd Serpent Audio Splice MKII in yesterday! It's def my desert-island comp!
Times like this I lived in the U.S. but then I console myself with Trump images and East European Hardware.
Old 4th October 2017 | Show parent
  #371
Quote:
Originally Posted by gianfini View Post
Hi. I'm relatively new here. First post ever, when I saw this thread it seems perfect for my request

I just entered the outboard quest. I need a buss comp and I short listed
- Wes Audio Dione
- TK Audio BC-1s
- Elysia Xpressor
- TC electronic finalizer 96

I see they have been mentioned here and there in this thread.

I'm not expecting some of you owning them all and a/b testing but from your experience which one could be the go to as first buss comp gear? I would avoid stuff well over 1.5k € (or dollars)

I mix Rock

Thanks!
G
Wes Dione. No competition.
Old 4th October 2017 | Show parent
  #372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby in WA View Post
Yup. You can hear the difference here:

Jeez what a dull demonstration and I thought the U.S. ones were verbose.

The Sowter does sound tighter and creamier though.

It was really apparent when My Calrec PQ10s pres smoked my OG 1073 Neves.
Old 4th October 2017 | Show parent
  #373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
What did you expect? A sprint finish?
You know Paul... after hearing so many people claim the plugs are spot on...I really wanted to believe it myself. Granted, I'd agree the eq plugs are much closer...but the Dynamics... still not there and IMO not really that close.
Old 4th October 2017 | Show parent
  #374
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily View Post
You know Paul... after hearing so many people claim the plugs are spot on...I really wanted to believe it myself. Granted, I'd agree the eq plugs are much closer...but the Dynamics... still not there and IMO not really that close.
I know Mate. It's saddening how 2d they are still. ESPECIALLY tube based ones.
Old 4th October 2017 | Show parent
  #375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
I know Mate. It's saddening how 2d they are still. ESPECIALLY tube based ones.
I tend to agree. But when i took a listen on the new distressor plugin from Slate i couldn't hear any difference, well i thought i did but Slate was kind enough to give me the answers and i was 50/50 so it might just be placebo.

First time it didn't sound flat, both pop'ed and had the same weight. Gonna demo it, you should too
Old 4th October 2017 | Show parent
  #376
Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen View Post
I tend to agree. But when i took a listen on the new distressor plugin from Slate i couldn't hear any difference, well i thought i did but Slate was kind enough to give me the answers and i was 50/50 so it might just be placebo.

First time it didn't sound flat, both pop'ed and had the same weight. Gonna demo it, you should too
That's because hardware Distressors sound average too.
Old 4th October 2017 | Show parent
  #377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
That's because hardware Distressors sound average too.
Never tried one actually haha! Got stuck in the 1176 ssl land
Old 4th October 2017 | Show parent
  #378
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
That's because hardware Distressors sound average too.

hahahahahahaaaaa!!! Bingo as we say here in the states.
Old 5th October 2017 | Show parent
  #379
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily View Post
AudioScapes OPTO on bass... holy moly!
Glued in the track... UAD La2a didn't even get close.
So, you wouldn't have any experience with the Sebatron SMAC or Manley Elop(+) by any chance? I was looking at those for a solid way to pick up a dual mono/stereo opto, with the thought that I'd have something modern and solid for working out the dynamics, then adding color later if need be via transformers/tubes/plugins etc...

Now I'm kinda leaning towards picking up a modern vintage piece to get that color and vibe on the way in... decisions descisions
Old 5th October 2017 | Show parent
  #380
Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen View Post
I tend to agree. But when i took a listen on the new distressor plugin from Slate i couldn't hear any difference, well i thought i did but Slate was kind enough to give me the answers and i was 50/50 so it might just be placebo.

First time it didn't sound flat, both pop'ed and had the same weight. Gonna demo it, you should too
Word to the wise... do your own tests.
Old 5th October 2017 | Show parent
  #381
Quote:
Originally Posted by szyam View Post
So, you wouldn't have any experience with the Sebatron SMAC or Manley Elop(+) by any chance? I was looking at those for a solid way to pick up a dual mono/stereo opto, with the thought that I'd have something modern and solid for working out the dynamics, then adding color later if need be via transformers/tubes/plugins etc...

Now I'm kinda leaning towards picking up a modern vintage piece to get that color and vibe on the way in... decisions descisions
Nope, sorry.
Old 5th October 2017 | Show parent
  #382
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily View Post
Got my 2nd Serpent Audio Splice MKII in yesterday! It's def my desert-island comp!
You have a Carl Tatz room?!?!?
Old 5th October 2017 | Show parent
  #383
Quote:
Originally Posted by szyam View Post
So, you wouldn't have any experience with the Sebatron SMAC or Manley Elop(+) by any chance? I was looking at those for a solid way to pick up a dual mono/stereo opto, with the thought that I'd have something modern and solid for working out the dynamics, then adding color later if need be via transformers/tubes/plugins etc...

Now I'm kinda leaning towards picking up a modern vintage piece to get that color and vibe on the way in... decisions descisions
I ended up with an ADL 1500 after a vintage LA2A and a Stam. Both of which were great but I'm mixing stereo stems and I wanted 2 channels.

I didn't have huge expectations for it as it was inexpensive but it's a real keeper.

It sits alongside my other higher end gear easily and sounds fantastic on vocals, drums and bass. So I sold the Stam too.

Apparently the 1500 is an improvement on the 1000 so it doesn't need the mod.
I left it stock and I'm happy. I'd recommend it.
Old 5th October 2017 | Show parent
  #384
JGM
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Wes Dione. No competition.
Greetings.
What about between the Wes Dione, Serpent SB4001, and Audio Scape Stereo Buss Comp? For 2 Bus duty?
Old 5th October 2017 | Show parent
  #385
Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen View Post
Never tried one actually haha! Got stuck in the 1176 ssl land
How's that daylight up there?
Old 5th October 2017 | Show parent
  #386
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen View Post
You have a Carl Tatz room?!?!?
Yes!!
Old 5th October 2017 | Show parent
  #387
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM View Post
Greetings.
What about between the Wes Dione, Serpent SB4001, and Audio Scape Stereo Buss Comp? For 2 Bus duty?
Just got the AudioScape SSL G comp today. Sounds really great. Still I prefer my RED3, but apples/oranges.
Old 5th October 2017 | Show parent
  #388
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM View Post
Greetings.
What about between the Wes Dione, Serpent SB4001, and Audio Scape Stereo Buss Comp? For 2 Bus duty?
I have 2 Diones in my console and control them from my Raven/DAW.

I've also OWNED SSL G, TK, Dramastic, IGS S Type, Elysia and a Smart.

I still have the Diones and the TK 501. Sold the rest. These are great.

The Elysia gear is sweet though, I still have quite a lot of that.
Old 5th October 2017 | Show parent
  #389
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen View Post
You have a Carl Tatz room?!?!?
Here are a few pics... before I got my ATC scm50's and changed a lot of gear around, but the room and layout is the same.
Attached Thumbnails
HW Worth Owning for Mixing Hybrid?-screen-shot-2017-10-04-9.27.55-pm.jpg   HW Worth Owning for Mixing Hybrid?-screen-shot-2017-10-04-9.27.45-pm.jpg  
Old 5th October 2017 | Show parent
  #390
Lives for gear
 
e-are's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen View Post
I tend to agree. But when i took a listen on the new distressor plugin from Slate i couldn't hear any difference, well i thought i did but Slate was kind enough to give me the answers and i was 50/50 so it might just be placebo.

First time it didn't sound flat, both pop'ed and had the same weight. Gonna demo it, you should too
I’m running the fg stress demo now. Compared it to my hardware distresser. Got to take a little more time with it but, as usual for me, it’s not f’ing with the hardware. Rave reviews here and everywhere but a/b-ing, not so sure. I think I’m the only one who has expressed this thus far...
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 262 views: 37354
Avatar for drBill
drBill 13th September 2020
replies: 4949 views: 484698
Avatar for Nick Morris
Nick Morris 2 days ago
replies: 541 views: 58522
Avatar for ralphonz
ralphonz 4th June 2020
replies: 67 views: 9961
Avatar for Kevin R.
Kevin R. 30th September 2020
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump