The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Apogee AD8000 and other digital... stuff.
Old 19th October 2002
Lives for gear

Apogee AD8000 and other digital... stuff.

And so the Gear Sluttery begins.

Hi guys,

Now that I've got another studio to work out of I can finally start buying all these neat little goodies that are always being talked about again (IBP, yes please...) Lots of questions regarding specific equipment to come but first I need to get the basics covered which leads me to...

I'm looking to buy a couple of AD8000 (possibly SE's) to use for my Tape/Pro Tools transfers and was wondering if you could help.

Foregoing the debate about which converters are better (Apogee, Prism, Mytek, Lucid etc.) and also the 44/48/88/96/192 issues (because I like the Apogee's and I don't see myself going 96 in the near future), are there any things/symptoms I should be looking out for when buying second hand?

Besides the fact that I know that I like the sound of these converters, I know absolutely nothing about the mechanics of digital devices/converters (it's all quantum voodoo to me) and am wondering if there's any telltale signs that the equipment might need servicing, short of the them not working.

What components (if any) tend to suffer from daily wear and tear?

And in regards to converters, is buying second hand considered to be generally safe if things look (and sound) pretty cool on the surface? I know that sounds like a stupid question...

Your input is mightily appreciated.

Cheers,

R.
Old 19th October 2002
Hmmm, just run through all the switches, check for all the meter lights working, thats a HUGE plus with the AD8000 - great metering..
Old 22nd October 2002
Lives for gear

Re: Apogee AD8000 and other digital... stuff.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ol' Betsey

And in regards to converters, is buying second hand considered to be generally safe if things look (and sound) pretty cool on the surface? I know that sounds like a stupid question...

Your input is mightily appreciated.

Cheers,

R.
R

People have complained about Apogees having slightly wobbly buttons so bear that in mind they just feel a tiny bit loose, nothing to worry about. Beyond the gear looking loved and seeing/hearing it working I wouldn't know what to look for. Maybe buying from a dealer (or a recommended safe seller) who will have tested it and give it a 3month warranty.

It's an interesting question..be interested to hear more thoughts. Maybe highend would yield more replies??

Good luck
Old 22nd October 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

You might wanna check to see that all sync i/o is working. Non-functioning wordclock would be a painful discovery. In this case, you might want to bring along another device with the same sync options and try to make them see eachother.

For that matter, although it sounds obvious, check to see that each input and output passes signal, even if you have to bring your own mic, pre, and monitor.

Helps?
Old 22nd October 2002
I recommend the Mytek 8x96 or Crane Song ADC (either HEDD 192 or Spider). These both, IMO, sound far better than their equivilantly priced or lower priced competitors. To get what some perceive as being "better"(ie Prism, etc), it costs quite a bit more and your budget may be better used for other useful parts of the signal chain (including the room as well as the front end) that may possibly use some improvement in order to take advantage of the high level of gear you are purchasing. I've personallly just now been able to get the signal path from mic to CD/finished product to the place where I consider everything to be about on the same professional level...so now it starts all over again to get it a step higher (guess that's why we are gear slutz).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search