The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Auratone 5C Reissues vs Reftone 2LD vs Avantone
View Poll Results: Auratone 5C Re-Issues vs Reftone 2LD vs Avantone Mixcubes
Reissued Auratone 5C
3 Votes - 60.00%
Reftone 2LD
0 Votes - 0%
Avantone Mixcubes
2 Votes - 40.00%
Other
0 Votes - 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Auratone 5C Reissues vs Reftone 2LD vs Avantone

Hello,

I was looking up at picking up a good set of reference monitors and was gravitating towards the reissued 5C's, powered by a Bryston 2B LP Pro and wired using Mogami W3103 cables.

Before purchasing the 5C's, I was especially curious whether anyone preferred the reissued (not vintage - as reissued are slightly different) 5C's to the Reftones.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Nelson
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Bumping for more opinions.

Nelson
Old 6 days ago
Jai guru deva om

Speaking only to the Auratone 5C I can assure you, the reboot of this company is real and accomplishes the same thing as it always did only better. The tech here owns a pair of original 5C, with the last driver update they had ever done from years ago, in mint shape. In a side by side we still preferred the new 5C as an improved sound that still delivers that reference quality we all expect.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Speaking only to the Auratone 5C I can assure you, the reboot of this company is real and accomplishes the same thing as it always did only better. The tech here owns a pair of original 5C, with the last driver update they had ever done from years ago, in mint shape. In a side by side we still preferred the new 5C as an improved sound that still delivers that reference quality we all expect.
Warren has it right- this was my experience too when I agreed to work with the company, based on Nashville and headed up by the grandson of the the original inventor of the Auratone 5C. He (Alex) did his homework that's for sure. So much so I let Tom Elmhirst try out the new one vs his old ones and he too took the new ones. Up on his bridge at Electric Lady next to his ATCs right now and has been on his last 6 mixes at least.

You know it seems to me there are two classes of working monitor: "big picture" monitors and "ultra detail" monitors. Some people think it should be the same but thats not what I see out there in the studios.

A "big picture" monitor is a "balance" speaker to see it all, see the overall perspective, take away all the stuff that distracts you. Auratone 5Cs, NS10s are two good examples of this. Put a bad mix up on a 5C and wow, instantly awful! Doesn't take much practice to hear that. Put a good mix up, WOW, sounds fantastic. How do they (engineers on the level of George Massenburg, Chuck Ainlay, etc) do that? Its quite dramatic and even unskilled listeners hear it immediately. An excellent teaching/learning tool.

To get this dramatic "wow" I often do a comparison for engineers with commercial mixes they know. I often use Katie Perry Firework for one and Michel Jackson PYT/Human Nature for the other. Good and bad are as plain as day.

I've not done this with Reftones but I do know Dave Hampton and he is a very skilled guy. I first met him working for Herbie Hancock. He worked on developing Reftones during the period when you could not find Auratone C's. I know he did it for this exact reason above, that big picture view is essential to a mix engineer. I am sure they are good speakers.

Brad
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I like the Mixcubes because they already have an integrated amp. They also do the very similar task of no corssover/unported box/ etc. I might have bought the Auratones, but I`m just used to these now. And they come with VERY clean amplifiers.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Lunde View Post
Warren has it right- this was my experience too when I agreed to work with the company, based on Nashville and headed up by the grandson of the the original inventor of the Auratone 5C. He (Alex) did his homework that's for sure. So much so I let Tom Elmhirst try out the new one vs his old ones and he too took the new ones. Up on his bridge at Electric Lady next to his ATCs right now and has been on his last 6 mixes at least.

You know it seems to me there are two classes of working monitor: "big picture" monitors and "ultra detail" monitors. Some people think it should be the same but thats not what I see out there in the studios.

A "big picture" monitor is a "balance" speaker to see it all, see the overall perspective, take away all the stuff that distracts you. Auratone 5Cs, NS10s are two good examples of this. Put a bad mix up on a 5C and wow, instantly awful! Doesn't take much practice to hear that. Put a good mix up, WOW, sounds fantastic. How do they (engineers on the level of George Massenburg, Chuck Ainlay, etc) do that? Its quite dramatic and even unskilled listeners hear it immediately. An excellent teaching/learning tool.

To get this dramatic "wow" I often do a comparison for engineers with commercial mixes they know. I often use Katie Perry Firework for one and Michel Jackson PYT/Human Nature for the other. Good and bad are as plain as day.

I've not done this with Reftones but I do know Dave Hampton and he is a very skilled guy. I first met him working for Herbie Hancock. He worked on developing Reftones during the period when you could not find Auratone C's. I know he did it for this exact reason above, that big picture view is essential to a mix engineer. I am sure they are good speakers.

Brad
Those are very excellent examples of fine mixwork at it`s best.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search