The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
x/y, blumlein stereo bar with coles 4038, others
Old 12th September 2017
Here for the gear

blumlein stereo bar with coles 4038, others

hello:

i have a couple year old stereo pair of 4038s and would like to start using them in stereo configurations (x/y, blumlein, etc.). i have a pretty cheezy stereo bar that i use for x/y with a pair of sdcs, but this obviously wont work with the bigger 4038s. it doesnt excel even for that use.

im looking for hardware that will allow me to use my 4038s in stereo configs, hopefully as versatilely as possible, and use that same hardware with other mics going forward.

ive read several other threads with suggestions focused on just the 4038/blumlein config, and seen the bar from coles for blumlein, but i really want to get something that will work with these ribbons and my other mics in all kinds of configurations.

can anyone help me understand hardware options for mounting the 4038s in as flexible config as possible, please?

thanks, jr
Old 12th September 2017
Lives for gear

The main reason (besides the massive weight of the actual mics) the Coles don't work with traditional stereo bars is because of where the threads are on their mounts. That's why you're not going to find a stand that works for them and also your other mics. I don't know anyone who uses Coles for location recordings, but if you did, you'd need a seriously heavy-duty stand to be able to hold all that. If you're just in the studio and you don't already have a Latch Lake boom stand or something along those lines, you're much better just using separate stands to set up the Coles. The coles bar is expensive for a good reason - but you'll also have to figure in a $200-$250 stand to be able to hold it all up because your standard medium booms will all flop over under such weight.

P.S. to be a bit picky: XY only works with cardioid mics. With fig-8 mics there is not the option of either blumlein or xy - it's always going to be blumlein.
Old 12th September 2017
Here for the gear

thismercifulfate- thanks so much for your response. it all makes sense. also, ill update the the thread title to reflect the x/y comment- again, youre right.

a couple questions. i have several of the heaviest ultimate stands and was planning to use the coles blumlein pair with one as a straight stand only (i.e., no boom). these have pretty heavy bases and i have added a lifting weight to the base to add mass. i also have sandbags that i can add for stability.

so you think one of these no-boom stands would work properly with a pair of coles in blumlein? would the coles blumlein bar work for this? i dont think the stand would collapse, but without a boom i wont be able to point the array in any direction besides parallel to the floor. this could be a problem.

one other question- can the coles bar be used with other mics for blumlein? id love to get something that can be used with other setups.

any other thoughts would be great.

thanks, jr
Old 12th September 2017
Lives for gear

You could presumably use the Coles bar for other mics as well, but it depends on the clips/shockmounts for those mics. If you take the time to study the mounts on the Coles and where the threads are, you'll see why they need a special stereo bar to work that threads into the mic from a 90° angle compared to other bars.

For real-world use, you might actually want to have a second, regular bar for your other mics anyway, as you might want to leave the Coles mounted, as they are very cumbersome to attach and detatch.
Old 12th September 2017
Lives for gear

Wes Dooley/AEA used to make a modular mounting system that would easily let you use a pair of 4038s in Blumlein array. Not sure if that's still available, but it was the shiznit for anyone looking to haul two or three huge mics up in the air. (The same mounting system could also be configured as a Decca Tree.)
Old 13th September 2017
Lives for gear

Just chiming in to say that although a stereo pair of 4038 is a bitch to mount it is so worth it! Blumlein stereo Coles is a beautiful thing
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search