The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
1176 - Too Many Options
Old 5th September 2017
1176 - Too Many Options

This topic has been talked about a lot... I still need help.

I have two WA-76's. They sound different from one another. One is brighter than the other. The color's of the front panels are even a slightly different shade of black... QC?

I don't love them, but I know I love the 1176 sound. I had the chance to compare them to a UA re-issue and the re-issue sounded much better to me... More low end. Bigger. Less edginess up top.

Others have reported their WA-76 sounding every bit as good as the re-issues. I attribute this to the variance in sound that I found in even my own pair of wa-76's. I need a pair that sounds the same...

I am really tempted to to try out the Klark Teknik...oh but then there's those sexy Mohog's... oh but the serpent splice reviews are great! Other's swear by the hairballs...

I guess I'm hoping one of you has gone through this already and can give me some solid advice... I will definitely demo two of the options, but I'd like to get more opinions first!

Thanks!
Old 5th September 2017
Lives for gear

You might try looking at the Purple. They have really devoted a lot of time to that design, and should be a top consideration, imo.

I have wound up digging the WA quite a bit...though I think they have changed the faceplate a bit since the run mine was from.

This may sound like a "no duh" type suggestion, but I'd suggest that you double check two things; that you don't have the pad in...and second, that orb your input and output cables are good, similar length, and that neither is shorting out any.
Old 5th September 2017
I've read up a lot about the various clones (and the reissues) on GS and elsewhere over the last couple years (I don't get the chance to audition them). Of all the models I've read about, the one I would get is the Mohog. It's a bit pricier than the others, but I understand they sound terrific. They have the two transformers (Edcor and Carnhill) as well to give a different flavour.

If name brand is an issue e.g. your client walks into your studio and swoons when they see the UA re-issue in your rack, your choice may differ. I'd still get the Mohog though.

All that being said, I almost got a Rev H a few years ago. Not unhappy that I didn't. Would love a Rev D, but that's pretty expensive now.
Old 5th September 2017
I hooked up my new pair of Wes Mimas and they are really impressive too. Really beat out the Purple MC77 comps on drums and controlling them linked in stereo from the DAW is lovely. Great boxes that take up a fraction of the space of an 1176.
I've owned about 10 different 1176's including an OG Blue Stripe and I really don't miss any. The Purple were my modern fav until I heard the Wes though.
Old 5th September 2017
Lives for gear

I'd find a UA 2-1176, they'll be matched nicely.
Old 5th September 2017
Lives for gear

Well if you "Really" liked the Universal audio sound, seems to me that would be the choice.
I'm with you on chasing the 1176 sound.
I just got a Purple Audio Action 500. I was stoked to test it out but it will NOT work in either my API 500 8b, or 6 b rack.
Seems there are some issues with the 6 pin that cancels out compression on my racks. Maybe because my racks are a bit older???
Anywhoo, if you've got the sound your looking for, man just get the UA and be done with it.

I have to sell the Purple audio and wait till I get the coin before I can here what "All Buttons In" sounds like. Obviously there are issues with Non API comps in my racks so I'm going 19".

Here's another couple options that intrigues me.
https://reverb.com/item/4736112-revi...fet-compressor
https://reverb.com/item/3815902-revi...fet-compressor
I think Revive audio offers an Mod for your Warm, not sure the price.

Good luck on your 1176 quest my man, I'm in the same boat too!
Old 5th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummerz View Post
I'd find a UA 2-1176, they'll be matched nicely.
That's what I want but there not so easy to find on the resale market and are hella coin!
Old 5th September 2017
Even UA admits the 1176 portion of the 6176 and the 2-1176 aren't exactly the same as the standalone. This makes me rule them out, but maybe I shouldn't?
Old 5th September 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
I hooked up my new pair of Wes Mimas and they are really impressive too. Really beat out the Purple MC77 comps on drums and controlling them linked in stereo from the DAW is lovely. Great boxes that take up a fraction of the space of an 1176.
I've owned about 10 different 1176's including an OG Blue Stripe and I really don't miss any. The Purple were my modern fav until I heard the Wes though.
I look forward to hearing both the Wes Mimas and their Dione. What a great concept they have in automating and re-calling hardware. I hope they come out with some more units soon. After my move next year I'm considering a good-sized investment in their gear.

Why aren't more manufacturers doing this?

Old 5th September 2017
Lives for gear

Well, the modern UA arguably did not nail the tone of the actual UREI. So if you are really grooving on the UA, you might just want to check it and the related products out.

A lot of what winds up being the perfect one to you may be all in expectations; how you use them most of the time, and how it couples with what else you're using. You may find the Purple a little more bright and edgy than the Warm in some scenarios, but able to be more transparent in others.

Some people want to just crank the hell out of an 1176 all of the time, whereas others may use it across a wider variety of settings. Some people want to run mixes through them or whatever (not me for any foreseeable reason).

Probably best to get something from a place that will let you home in on the right one for you if need be. I'd also keep the Warm around for *direct comparison in your own setup* if possible, because hopefully you only want to blow money on true improvement.
Old 5th September 2017
Lives for gear
I hate to say it because this is the High-End forum, but the Warm Audio WA76 sounded the most consistent out of all the demos I've heard. They nailed the behavior and the sound is actually better than the quality of an all-original vintage unit as far as noise/headroom and some of the "sneaky" UA reissues as far as tone. I don't know about doing the whole "crunchy floppy" kick drum thing but with most moderate program material they perform really well and are unmistakably 1176. I think I just convinced myself to get a WA76 actually hahaha The WA2a, not so much.
Old 5th September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post
Well, the modern UA arguably did not nail the tone of the actual UREI.
Depends, there are different production runs. During certain years they couldn't source the correct parts so they got sneaky and messed around with the circuit to compensate. They "came clean" last year about those units not being so great as far replicating the originals. If you go to the website it shows which serials are which.
Old 5th September 2017
Lives for gear

I've used an older Purple 76 unit, a 6176 (just the compressor side), and I now own a simple Lindell 7x500.

I had the Purple and the UA side by side for a long time... preferred the UA without hesitation, every time. It was just thicker and bigger.

I like my Lindell unit, especially considering it takes up one slot in a 500 rack!

Still wouldn't mind having a full size unit with undeniably great tone... someday
Old 5th September 2017
Old 5th September 2017
Lives for gear

Mohog hasn't made any of their compressors for a while now no? I emailed them a year ago and they responded saying they'd be in touch when the fired up a run. I've heard nothing.
Old 5th September 2017
Gear Guru

sadly sold my D's off[for a lot].Purples I had were too bright for me[esp hated them on vx].
the UA re issue I had some years back never sounded right.
for fet stuff I mainly use the Pro Replicas Blue with nOS TX'.smooth,musical and forward at the same time.
the wes recall stuff looks cool.havent heard it.
Old 5th September 2017
Gear Guru

Best solution - Serpent Splices!!!!!!!!

On the Cheap solution - Eh, I'd try the KT's. Good reviews, and I've been happy with their new Pultec EQ.
Old 5th September 2017
The Warm ones didn't sit right at all to me. Weak and faint sounding on vocals and drums compared to the Purples.
Old 6th September 2017
WAD
Gear Maniac

I'd just get a proper 1176 and stop playing around with the pretenders
Old 6th September 2017
How does the serpent splice hold up really? In the clipalator at zenproaudio.com the splice sounds the most transparent compared to the mohog the Klark and the Warm... I'm not really looking for transparent. I like the character of an 1176. I want to hear that. Is this just a bad clipalator clip?..Does the splice exude the same character in actual use? I love the idea of having the blackface and bluestripe in one unit...

The pro replica stuff looks cool... what are we talking price wise when adding the NOS trannys?
Old 6th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
The Warm ones didn't sit right at all to me. Weak and faint sounding on vocals and drums compared to the Purples.
I'm curious what you mean by this? Like, what is "weak"? Or "faint"? The output level? Your ability to hear the compression? Your lack of ability to hear the compression?

Did you think about adjusting the knobs or no? (ok I had to add that, sorry just kidding.) But I am legitimately curious what you mean.
Old 6th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post
I'm curious what you mean by this? Like, what is "weak"? Or "faint"? The output level? Your ability to hear the compression? Your lack of ability to hear the compression?

Did you think about adjusting the knobs or no? (ok I had to add that, sorry just kidding.) But I am legitimately curious what you mean.
The sound. The feel - something you may not possess, just kidding
Old 6th September 2017
Lives for gear

Haha

I mainly like the warm on vocs (more so than the purple), acoustic guit and room....where I feel I could use either, and probably others, and not care too much, though I'm sure I might eq differently before hitting them, and the attack/release and gain controls would probably be in different places between them.
Old 6th September 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelfarr View Post
How does the serpent splice hold up really? In the clipalator at zenproaudio.com the splice sounds the most transparent compared to the mohog the Klark and the Warm... I'm not really looking for transparent. I like the character of an 1176. I want to hear that. Is this just a bad clipalator clip?..Does the splice exude the same character in actual use? I love the idea of having the blackface and bluestripe in one unit...

The pro replica stuff looks cool... what are we talking price wise when adding the NOS trannys?
Transparent? That's not a word I would use to describe it. One thing, it does like to be hit hard.
Old 6th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Transparent? That's not a word I would use to describe it. One thing, it does like to be hit hard.
This is good news. Lots of character then? How does it handle sibilance? I find the warm makes sibilance worse...
Old 6th September 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelfarr View Post
This is good news. Lots of character then? How does it handle sibilance? I find the warm makes sibilance worse...
Don't use it on vocals often. Get one in and try it. IMO, the blue stripe makes it ALL worthwhile. But honestly, it's one of the best designed and built pieces of gear I have. Mike knows his stuff, and will not stop short of perfection...
Old 6th September 2017
Lives for gear

MS76 - by Munson & Fletcher

Hand built to order by fellow GS member Labs.
Incredible value on a stereo and M/S 1176, with blend, HP SC filter, and Lundahl LL5402 transformer option.

https://pcbgrinder.com/1176
Old 6th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
MS76 - by Munson & Fletcher

Hand built to order by fellow GS member Labs.
Incredible value on a stereo and M/S 1176, with blend, HP SC filter, and Lundahl LL5402 transformer option.

https://pcbgrinder.com/1176
Yeah, that's a nice price for a stereo pair!
Old 6th September 2017
I had the wa76 and sold it, Im sorry but I don't understand how ppl say wa nailed it w the wa76?? There's is not ONE thing I liked it on.
I HATED it on vocals! Sounded small to me and the pots were so noisy! Doesn't sound like an 1176 to me. Similar but not close for me.. I sold it 3 months after it was collecting dust in my rack. Honestly there are way better options out there. I'm waiting for my stam audio blue stripe, hopefully he nailed it!
If not I'll just get a pro replica, ive heard great stuff abt them....
Im also eager to try the wes Mimas!
Old 6th September 2017
Lives for gear

2 cents.... New UA can vary a fairy a fair bit.. but that is all down to age i think.. i have a fairly old re issue 2004 i think and it sounds different to the 2 newer ones i used (a little less bright). i have no idea as to why (apparently all the parts are the same). i also had a 2-1176.. very spongy compressor. really doesn't sound like an 1176 to me but it still worked pretty well.. i also have a hairball blue stripe.. that thing is pretty magical.. can get a bit noisey but gee it's worth it.. vocal=yes! actually nearly anything and i'm smiles.. i have also used the blackface 1176 hairball.. only used it for a day but did exactly what i would of expected of it!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search