The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best Mic Pre for SM7b?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Best Mic Pre for SM7b?

Any mic pre recommendations for a SM7b?
It can be a high end choice ..
I'm using it for broadcasting, voice over and podcast types of applications ..
I'm using the SM7b with an Apogee Duet and a Cloudlifter ..
Thanks in advance ..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
API or clones are good. lots of gain.
the old ISA 110 and 220 are fantastic with an RE-20, would expect them to also work well on the SM7b

Any preamp designed for ribbons would work well, like AEA TRP
Grace preamp dont give any color help, but are detailed fantastic gain.

The ultimate for that I can think of would be a Forsell Preamp.

And then you get into classic pricey choices like Neve 1081 or germanium.

And if price is no object, DW fern.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Empirical Labs Mike-E. DONE.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

API, Phoenix Audio, something with some nice clean gain and you're good to go.
Old 1 week ago
MikeE is super versatile and can nail about any thing you want.
For just a clean gain the old Rane MS1b can bump it up without much of anything added for the cheapest pre.
ISA stuff is great...that ISA One is just cool looking and has a nice combo with the SM7.
Old 1 week ago
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thanks guys ..
Anyone ever used Manley with the SM7?
Old 1 week ago
Which Manley?

Im curious on the SM7> Cloudlifter>Appogee Duet in what you dont like about it or want to improve?

Wanting outboard I assume you dont want plugins and prefer a hardware piece.

Designs there are only a few, 19" standard rack, Portable boxes, Lunch Box rack, InLine Dongles, Mixing Consoles.
To me I only prefer the 19" standard. I have limited space and thats the first thing for me and so the ISAOne/610 POrtables didnt work with me, the Mixing consoles overkill as I do one vocal at a time hobby mode....InLine Dongles dangling and Lunch Box Ive not tried.

Then its preamps of clean or color and the clean I would assume is what a VO wants. With a SM7 you want clean and a lot of clean gain.

If that still sounds Blah to you...then eq and compression are probably missing from the soup.....or a different mic.

Another great value and a VO tool is the Symetrix stuff. The channels strips like 528E have the best expander/gates Ive had and the gain is in abundance and its quiet...also comes with eq and compression, tank tough built and good labeling imo. Ive had a few from $89 to $200 because they sell so many of them. B&H sells them new at $1000+. Ive tried about 4 different versions and all were very clean and made me think of Radio Studio workhorse units.

Manley is pretty hiend for a VO isnt it?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Norton View Post
OMG
may i honestly ask what this OMG is regarding ??? you did not quote anyone .. just curious, no harm meant by this .. so please do not take it the wrong way ..

cheers john
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
may i honestly ask what this OMG is regarding ??? you did not quote anyone .. just curious, no harm meant by this .. so please do not take it the wrong way ..

cheers john
I'm just guessing but I'd say it's because in the all-time Gearslutz hall of fame of most asked questions this is the all time champ. There are literally more "What pre for the Sm7" and "Is the (usually GAP-73) a good match for the Sm7b" etc. than any other topic
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
I'm just guessing but I'd say it's because in the all-time Gearslutz hall of fame of most asked questions this is the all time champ. There are literally more "What pre for the Sm7" and "Is the (usually GAP-73) a good match for the Sm7b" etc. than any other topic
ah .. thx .. no one will search 1st for anything on their own .. there is more info on youtube than GS for most of the questions here .. just need to try ..

have a good weekend !!!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I use the Warm WA12, it's alright. Nothing special though
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I actually have researched extensively on my own .. I prefer GS because I get to hear real life experiences and opinions from people who are really involved in audio engineering.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgl1 View Post
I actually have researched extensively on my own .. I prefer GS because I get to hear real life experiences and opinions from people who are really involved in audio engineering.
fair enough .. and you might be one the exceptions, that takes care of business on your own .. !!! right on !!!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Well, why involve yourself in a support website like GS if you have such a negative view of the folks who use it?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, why involve yourself in a support website like GS if you have such a negative view of the folks who use it?
are you talking to me ?? or someone else .. ?? you did not quote anyone ..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Any mic pre recommendations for a SM7b?
It can be a high end choice ..
I'm using it for broadcasting, voice over and podcast types of applications ..
I'm using the SM7b with an Apogee Duet and a Cloudlifter ..
Thanks in advance ..
to address your original question:

1) what do you think is lacking in your Duet Cloudlifter Setup ?? low end body, sheen, etc .. just trying to get a feel for what you would like out of a new setup ..

2) with my SM7b i use anything from Neve 1081, to 1073, ATi8mx2 pre's, Fosucrite 215 .. the Ati and 215 work best with the cloudlifter (i have one too) as i do not like to run the gain up to 10, since the SM7b needs a fair bit of gain ..

and running through a Compressor helps a bit a body and forwardness ..

i use Atomic Squeeze Boxes or jim williams Modded 160A with mine ..

lots of choices, are you a Lunchbox fan ?? you could create a big Phat chain with one 6 banger .. i will let the Lunch people chime in as i do not use that type system .. but a friend does and has some pretty sweet gear .. happy to ask him if you need more info on that type system .. but from memory he has MA5's, API's, some of the BAE neve gear, Shadow Hills etc ..

cheers john
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I never say "best", but my SM7b sounds great with my Great River MP2NV.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search