The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sudden gain loss from tube mic (sontronics omega)
Old 9th August 2017
Here for the gear
Sudden gain loss from tube mic (sontronics omega)

Hi everyone,
I got this Sontronics Omega tube mic two months ago, a good used deal
Worked perfectly since yesterday, when it suddenly lost circa 10dB of gain and, as I can perceive, a bit of definition
This is my first mic, so I'm guessing if it's time to change the tube, but I didn't find, searching on the net, if gain loss is related with the tube getting old. Instead I found that tube mic usually get noisy, and crackling while recording, with no mention on a gain loss.
So here I am asking you if changing the tube would be a solution, or if I should worry about something else as a cause of this...
Of course I checked all the gain stages (which are simply my interface preamp gain - and I checked also with another interface - and the volume in my DAW, comparing with old recordings )

Thanks to all
Old 9th August 2017
Lives for gear

For me, every time something goes wrong with a tube (which is all the damn time), the symptoms are completely different. I don't worry about it anymore - if something is wrong and I've already done my basic troubleshooting steps, I'll just get another tube. Not cheap but works 99% of the time.
Old 21st September 2017
Here for the gear

Hi-This NOT the tube!
there is something happening in our atmosphere that is not being reported. Pro builders will not report this- due to
'vulnerability' issues and ego. I lost 10 db in my world class M49 with teflon caps and a monster psu..no warning!
There is only 3-4 volts on the secondary of a BV11 before the tube preamp..what I believe is happening is current induction.
We have a NUMBER of brown dwarfs in the solar system causing havoc with our climate. 41 volcanoes erupting and a steady rise of global quakes from 4500 avg. per year to 118,400 in 2014- when they closed down the USGS geosurvey legacy listing.
As they connect via that black hole you see on them, plasma encircles magnetic field lines forming a close loop with huge coronal holes. This changing magnetic field induces current in our core and mantle! Power station transformers are being blown out left and right.
Key? With 2 plasma field or solar winds colliding and ionizing helium3/4 by their presence in our atmosphere, a Fission Cascade results
or Triple Alpha process where electrons rain down on us at 50 -150 MeV(100MeV is a cosmic ray!) and this constitutes an xray background which is heating our oceans from the top(weather changes..). These electrons are ATTRACTED to magnetic fields in tube transformers. I think- due to the presence of resistance in our transformer secondaries, some current is being induced by Farady's Law of electromagnetic induction and this results in VOLTAGE- which could create MORE resistance or opposition to our current going to the next stage. A client of mine is having the SAME problem with his pultec clone right now!! Give me more info.. and I may be able to help you. I've changed tubes and capsules- checked everything. NO Change...
* Just use the 46-50 db setting on your REDD 47 and play HARDER - you will win this!
Old 21st September 2017
Lives for gear

It's most likely the tube.
You may open the mic and see if anything is evidently broken/blown up, you may want to check if all of the resistors and caps are allright using a multimeter, but I'm confident you'll solve the problem by changing the tube.
Old 21st September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by devon haas View Post
Hi-This NOT the tube!
there is something happening in our atmosphere that is not being reported. Pro builders will not report this- due to
'vulnerability' issues and ego. I lost 10 db in my world class M49 with teflon caps and a monster psu..no warning!
There is only 3-4 volts on the secondary of a BV11 before the tube preamp..what I believe is happening is current induction.
We have a NUMBER of brown dwarfs in the solar system causing havoc with our climate. 41 volcanoes erupting and a steady rise of global quakes from 4500 avg. per year to 118,400 in 2014- when they closed down the USGS geosurvey legacy listing.
As they connect via that black hole you see on them, plasma encircles magnetic field lines forming a close loop with huge coronal holes. This changing magnetic field induces current in our core and mantle! Power station transformers are being blown out left and right.
Key? With 2 plasma field or solar winds colliding and ionizing helium3/4 by their presence in our atmosphere, a Fission Cascade results
or Triple Alpha process where electrons rain down on us at 50 -150 MeV(100MeV is a cosmic ray!) and this constitutes an xray background which is heating our oceans from the top(weather changes..). These electrons are ATTRACTED to magnetic fields in tube transformers. I think- due to the presence of resistance in our transformer secondaries, some current is being induced by Farady's Law of electromagnetic induction and this results in VOLTAGE- which could create MORE resistance or opposition to our current going to the next stage. A client of mine is having the SAME problem with his pultec clone right now!! Give me more info.. and I may be able to help you. I've changed tubes and capsules- checked everything. NO Change...
* Just use the 46-50 db setting on your REDD 47 and play HARDER - you will win this!
Seriously, that is one hell of a first post...
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear