The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Alctron MP73EQ Single-Channel Preamps
Old 9th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by adumbfish View Post
I'll try to post the eq measurement tonight.

I am no inductor expert - I can tell you the custom inductors I ordered from Don audio is the RM (rectangular modulus) core type.
Old 9th October 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniff View Post
Lol I haven't forgotten! Give me a few hours
Old 10th October 2018
Gear Nut
Here we can see boosts, cuts, and flat with pink noise
Attached Thumbnails
Alctron MP73EQ-360boost.png   Alctron MP73EQ-360cut.png   Alctron MP73EQ-7.2kboost.png   Alctron MP73EQ-7.2kcut.png   Alctron MP73EQ-flateq.png  

Old 10th October 2018
Lives for gear

there's got to be a better way to test/graph this than an EQ plugin..
Old 10th October 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
there's got to be a better way to test/graph this than an EQ plugin..
Agreed. Open to ideas. Here's the EQ as an external insert on a drum buss. I am slowly moving between cut and boost.
Attached Files

MP73EQ360Drums.mp3 (1.97 MB, 834 views)

Old 10th October 2018
Here for the gear

@adumbfish great thanks!
The Q seems high both in the graph and in the sample. This could have to do with the resistance between the taps of the coil right? Less DCR = higher Q if I'm not mistaken.
Here's the data Sowter's listing for their T1530 replacement.
EQUALIZER (EQ) INDUCTORS
Old 10th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Agreed. Open to ideas. Here's the EQ as an external insert on a drum buss. I am slowly moving between cut and boost.
Unfortunately I don't know a whole lot about testing gear.

I found some nice looking software called TrueRTA

TrueRTA Audio Spectrum Analyzer Software

Unfortunately... it costs money
Old 10th October 2018
Lives for gear

You'd want to use something like REW for amplitude and phase, it's free and has clear instructions on running loop back tests to remove your interface from the picture.
Old 10th October 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by subspace View Post
You'd want to use something like REW for amplitude and phase, it's free and has clear instructions on running loop back tests to remove your interface from the picture.
This looks great! I'll give that a try
Old 10th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Here we can see boosts, cuts, and flat with pink noise
Thanks for posting this. Whatever the thoughts on the right or wrong way to post such examples, this shows a narrower q at full boost than Kamil's earlier post. Ergo your mod has made a difference. Thanks again.
Old 3 weeks ago
Hey guys! So, there is a new version of this now. It looks super nice and is a little more true to the look of the original Neve, but the new high frequency shelving EQ is just one set frequency now instead of variable. Many brands do this like the original, but I kind of like the option to pick. It is time for me to order more, whether I order more of the old or the new ones. If you were going to buy one or the other and the price was the same which would you pick, and if you already have one would you add the V2 to your collection or would you rather add another MP73EQ?
Attached Thumbnails
Alctron MP73EQ-screen-shot-2018-10-20-1.10.04-pm.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

More often than not I would go with function over form. That's a computer rendering it's hard to say if it looks better than the real one from before.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
More often than not I would go with function over form. That's a computer rendering it's hard to say if it looks better than the real one from before.
Good points. I only use 12k or 16k but helpful to switch. More importantly, is the mid band corrected for the new batch?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Good points. I only use 12k or 16k but helpful to switch. More importantly, is the mid band corrected for the new batch?
They did tell me the high shelf boosts from around 12k, btw. I haven’t asked if they made any improvements with the rest of the circuitry, but that is definitely something I’ll be asking before I make any decisions.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelthemusician View Post
They did tell me the high shelf boosts from around 12k, btw. I haven’t asked if they made any improvements with the rest of the circuitry, but that is definitely something I’ll be asking before I make any decisions.
If they have improved the unit overall, then the new version may be tempting to me, but if it's just cosmetic, then the original seems the way to go.

Please find out what is new about the V2.

Also, if I wanted one in the UK, how much would that be? Thanks
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Are the new knobs allow both boosting and cutting at the same time? In other words are they "stacked dual controls"?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
If they have improved the unit overall, then the new version may be tempting to me, but if it's just cosmetic, then the original seems the way to go.

Please find out what is new about the V2.

Also, if I wanted one in the UK, how much would that be? Thanks
It's usually over $100 to ship one of these overseas. I'm trying to figure out if it's feasible to start having some of my gear shipped to Europe for fulfillment by Amazon to hopefully save you guys out there from having to pay that.

Quote:
Are the new knobs allow both boosting and cutting at the same time? In other words are they "stacked dual controls"?
They have a boost/cut knob stacked on top of a frequency selector knob, just like the real thing. Except of course for the high shelf, which we already covered.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelthemusician View Post
It's usually over $100 to ship one of these overseas. I'm trying to figure out if it's feasible to start having some of my gear shipped to Europe for fulfillment by Amazon to hopefully save you guys out there from having to pay that.

They have a boost/cut knob stacked on top of a frequency selector knob, just like the real thing. Except of course for the high shelf, which we already covered.
I think I like the stacked knob idea better. Be good to know what else has changed. May be a photo of the insides of each will tell those in the know what's what?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I think I like the stacked knob idea better. Be good to know what else has changed. May be a photo of the insides of each will tell those in the know what's what?
Some more Mk 1's on ebay uk if yer interested ..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search