The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Cranesong STC-8 or 2*Trakkers???
Old 18th October 2002
Gear Head

Cranesong STC-8 or 2*Trakkers???

Could anybody be so kind and enlighten me with the information about the differences between these 2 units. I am mainly gonna use it for tracking vocals and mastering. But mainly vocals tracking! So how can I choose? I don't have the cash to buy both.

I am gonna end up a poor man...
Old 18th October 2002
Gear Head

Come on, anybody???yuktyy
Old 18th October 2002
I can't really help you with which would be better for vox (though I suspect that would be a place where the Trakker's versatility would shine...).

The Trakker was designed to be a linkable compressor that, though clean, could be rather colored by utilizing various settings. The STC-8 was designed to be the ultimate 2-buss compressor (which it is, IMO). The STC-8 is cleaner than the Trakker, but cannot do the coloration of the Trakker.

Any specific questions about the units you have can be addressed as well, as several board members have these units.
Old 18th October 2002
Gear Head

I can see on the face plate that there is a Vocal setting on the STC-8 so I was wondering if this is the ultimate tracking for vocals setting, in my opinion totally transparent 10 db gain reduction. Is this a task for the STC-8 or the trakker?
Old 18th October 2002
member no 666

Either or... there is no "vocal" setting on the STC-8... there are presets "A, B, and C" for each of quadrants, as well as a "V", which stands for "variable" [which relates to the attack and release controls, where with the "A, B, and C" presets you're modifying the preset with the attack and release controls].
Old 18th October 2002
Lives for gear

The Trakkers are versatile compressors, the STC-8 is versatile albeit more suited to 2-buss compression and "limiting" roles.
If I did more mastering than tracking/mixing I might opt for the STC-8. I love my Trakkers for vocals however. If one isn't experienced or careful it is possible to misuse them.
Old 18th October 2002
Gear Addict

I would go for trakkers in your case. They are idiot proof tracking compressors in my opinion. Hard to make them sound bad. I don't want to compress vocals without one. The lights on it are useless...."15db of compresion??No way, I can't hear it..."

They are fully able to do some spectacular things on 2-bus as well. You would have a few more flavors to dial in with the Trakker's....clean and smooth being one of them. I haven't used the STC but I'll take Brad's word for it.
Old 18th October 2002
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
Either or... there is no "vocal" setting on the STC-8... there are presets "A, B, and C" for each of quadrants, as well as a "V", which stands for "variable" [which relates to the attack and release controls, where with the "A, B, and C" presets you're modifying the preset with the attack and release controls].
I found this information on Cranesongs homepage, and it is the A preset that haunts me, is the STC-8 better tha the Trakker for tracking and mixing Vocals or not??? Please somebody give me the sign or I will be forced to robb a Bank, Tonight because I am such a nice Gearslut!

STC-8
Quick Guide
Mode Switch
Read Users Manual
Reviews
Crane Song Home
Products
Dealers

THE COMPRESSOR "QUICK GUIDE"
To set up the Compressor quickly use the Presets A, B, or C. In these modes the Attack, Release, and Shape controls are not operational. Leave the Pk Threshold in the off position. With Pk Threshold left in off position, the only decision regarding the Preset Switch is whether or not to use Program Dependent Release (PDR). PDR is the left half of the Preset Switch, non-PDR is the right half.

PDR can be thought of as Auto Release. The Threshold control governs the amount of gain reduction.

_
CHOOSING PRESET A, B, OR C

A was designed for Vocal sound.
B was designed for Bass or to make the attack of a sound "Punch".
C was designed for Program Averaging or Volume Control.
Attached Images
Cranesong STC-8 or 2*Trakkers???-preset2.jpg 
Old 19th October 2002
Here for the gear

Trakker vs Stc8

I own both units.

The STC8 A mode is more transparent than the Trakker for vocals, but I usually find myself patching in the Trakker. It just feels better on a voice and I am able to tailor very well to individual voices.

I use the STC8 on bass, kick, snare and the 2 bus.

Both units are very subtle and flexible and their abilities overlap. The peak limiter on the STC8 favors high transient inputs as well as the stereo mix.

The ability of the Trakker to emulate many styles of compressors puts a lot of tools at your disposal when tracking vocals.

Save your money and buy both. I'm currently schemeing to buy another Trakker.

My humblest opinions......
Old 19th October 2002
Gear Head

Thanx a 1000 times ericswan, I will then start with buying the Trakker.
Old 19th October 2002
ericswan - can you go into detail on settings for mix compression, I have landed on the "V" setting, but I dont know what I am doing just yet and could do with tips.

Old 19th October 2002
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
ericswan - can you go into detail on settings for mix compression, I have landed on the "V" setting, but I dont know what I am doing just yet and could do with tips.

Fletcher told me a great truth when he sent me the STC-8 to play with. He said to spend at least an hour with the unit AND the manual in front of me before the paying customers arrive - it's deep enough that you still won't learn it all, but it can give you some new ideas about how to use it.
Old 19th October 2002
Yup, been busy overdubbing recently, mix time is upon me now!
Old 19th October 2002
Here for the gear

STC8

jules,

(in my best Fletcher imitation).. "it depends.."

I really have no hard and fast settings for this thing. I do not do much 2 bus compression as I work almost exclusively analog and usually leave that decision up to the mastering guy.

That said, I am usually happy using the C preset most of the time for bus compression and just tweaking the threshold til it sounds right. I find even 2 or 3 db of squish can help glue a mix together. I also notice that more when using it on stuff that has been recorded digitally, something I am just starting to do more of.

Fletcher is right about the manual and time spent spinning knobs. When in the V mode every little change effects everything else. It's best to just spend sometime playing with the darn thing. What amazes me about the box is how transparent it can be even with some pretty radical reduction going on. I used to tease Dave Hill about his $4000 box that made no appreciable audible difference!

You may want to ask Brad Blackwood if he has any recommendations, but I think he would say the same as me: just turn the damn knobs til it sounds good!!
Old 19th October 2002
OK - thanks guys I will.

I wonder if you can get stuff from AB&C that you can't from V with tweakage...

Doh! I forgot! I have to RTFM

heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search