The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Analogue Mixing Out of Digi 001 Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 14th February 2004
Lives for gear

Analogue Mixing Out of Digi 001

Hey gang,
I have a few questions that are specific and have to do with mixing analogue out of my 001. I have searched and found nothing helpful. First my setup, then the questions:

Digi 001
Alesis AI3 for ADAT I/O
Lucid 24/96
Midas Venice
Outboard comps: 1176, Valley People 2-610, RNC (2)
P4 2.6 Ghz, 512 ram, 400 mhz FSB

1. I plan on using the 16 outputs from the 001 (8 analogue and 8 through the AI3) to line ins on the Venice. Should I be worried about different amounts of latency from the different outputs, for example phase problems with different drum mics on different outputs (snare on analogue 1, kick on analogue 2, OHs on ADAT 1+2)?
a). If so, should I therefore:
I. Assign all drums tracks to a stereo pair of PT outputs (analogue 3-4)
II. Bounce the drumtracks down inside of PT and assign them to a pair of stereo tracks.

2. Following from the above scenario, which would give me better sound quality, bouncing down a bunch of tracks or assigning all of them to a stereo pair of outputs?

3. If there is latency on the outputs, is it consistent across all of the outputs (both analogue and ADAT)?
a). How would I check this?
b). Is the latency consistent every TIME I hit the play button?
c). How much latency do I get if I add a plug-in before leaving the box?

4. Any issues associated with recording back the analogue mix on a stereo track inside the PT session?

5. Other words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance for your help. This will also be posted at RO and DUC. David
Old 14th February 2004
Gear Addict

I don't have a ton o' time at the moment but here goes:

1) You should keep stereo pairs together. On either analog or digital. Slight latency on the analog outputs may or may not matter. The D/A latency of the Alesis unit may well be different from the D/A latency of the 001's outputs.
What you don't want is to have one overhead coming out of the 001 and the other coming out of the Alesis.

2) The sound quality thing is subjective. Many people detest bouncing in PT. Many detest summing within PT. You decide.

3) I think the latency is consistent. Keep in mind that only the first two analog outputs on the 001 are balanced. Outputs 3-8 are unbalanced. This information, in addition to the unit's I/O latency is on the Digidesign website.
b) The latency should be the same every time you hit play.
c) Depends upon the plug-in.

4) Just the fact that you are going through several A/D/A stages. It is entirely up to you if you give a rip about that.

5) Don't ever let anyone get you into the mind-set of "if I don't (or do) this and that, then I am a bad engineer". F- 'em
Old 15th February 2004
Lives for gear

Thanks for your time Kent, zactly what I was wanting to know. David
Old 15th February 2004
Lives for gear

This is the kind of questiont hat i was going to post..

Iwas seriously considering buying either a mix+/ or a HD1 core system to work @ home with and edit/mix with and do a bit of overdubbing with.

But now im predisposed with the idea of getting aclunky old 001 and chaining 8 mytek AD/DA (lightpipe) and as well as a stereo DA (spdif) so i will have 8 ch of bitchin input and 10ch of awesome DA so i can

1) 're-print' pre-recorded tracks through all my tasty outboard equipment like 'distress a snare' or EQ a kik through my Shep modules etc and then re-record them back into PT.

2) Prepare mixes so that when i am mixing else where there is a good to great basis for a mix coming out of the box as soon as everything is aptchined into the SSL or Neve nad its jsut a matter or further tweaking.

3) to punch out a great mix via the 10 ch of DA that i have... im not interested in usinghte 001 AD/DA except maybe for some lo fi FX returns.

Im not sure as to whether or not this will work but im trying to find answers here. Im pretty sure i will prolly have to buy a nice clock to keep the Adat and Spdif all nice and happening but i havbe resigned myself that i i go the whole hog on this front it will be more affordable in the long run and more economical for the type of work that i plan to be doing soon...

Love to hear other slutz thoguths on the viability of this setup etc..

Cheers
Wiggy
Old 16th February 2004
Gear Nut

What if you use the mytek as clock? The digi001/ptle has no problem clocking of ADAT.
Old 28th February 2004
I run a similiar set up.
I have an 001 and an Apogee AD-8000 feeding the ADAT input w/
audio and clock. It works great! Sounds fantastics if all you need is 8-10 quality inputs like me.

DPasch

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search