The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New life for your monitors - amazing product!!
Old 17th June 2005
Mindreader

Thinking about the bubblewrap idea, I may try this

Get 2 large pieces of cardboard, glue the bubblewrap between them making a sandwich, then cut the required sizes from that, which you then stack on each other an place under your monitors

Those Mopads would be good, but I wish they didn't tilt. I want flat square ones!

Bev

PS I have actually just done this on two squares from bottom up - bubblewrap, cardboard, 2 bubblewrap, cardboard. I'll tell you what happens.
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

MoPads can be flat if you want. They come with a second piece of foam that fits on top of the main one to either tip them more or make them flat. FWIW...
Old 18th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-G
What law of physics says that small cross sections inhibit low frequencies?

I remain incredulous.

No offense, Max.. I'm picking more at the concept than at you.. I'm sure you're sane and are hearing something you like when you use the things, but I think there might be a little placebo effect going on, and maybe a bit of what Thomas was talking about on speakers whose cabinets aren't completely inert .. . but the rest of the claims seem pretty fruity to me.

-dave
This is a little bit of physics 101, but

[the amount of LF energy that can be transferred through the cross-sectional area of a spike]/[second]

is a great deal less than can be transferred across the contact area of the base of a standard near-field monitor on a meter bridge (or desk)/[second]. The bubble wrap idea is sound in theory and does improve the sound a good deal. It's another way to de-couple the monitor from the surface upon which it rests. If the bubble-wrap idea were taken a step further, one would adhere it to the bottom of the speaker cab. and to the meter bridge (or whatever) with a bit of blu-tack (that stuff that's like modeling clay but can be used as a temporary adhesive). This will serve to keep the cabinet/driver system from moving around on the meter bridge. Again, the idea is to drive the air, not the mass upon which the monitor is resting. This may sound like splitting hairs to you, but I assure you the difference is audible.

Most of the stuff discussed on G.S. is about squeezing the last 2% of performance out of your system. The spike idea is so easy to implement and the improvement is so easy to hear that it's surprising to hear that people would prefer to haggle the physics rather than just A/B it.
Old 18th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
Most of the stuff discussed on G.S. is about squeezing the last 2% of performance out of your system. The spike idea is so easy to implement and the improvement is so easy to hear that it's surprising to hear that people would prefer to haggle the physics rather than just A/B it.
Sure, sure... point taken, and as I've said before, I don't begrudge anyone for observing or preferring any changes made by products like this.. I just think that the explanations for what's happening are often quite specious.

-dave
Old 18th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
1) Spike acts as a hi-pass filter; the small cross-section helps keep low freq vibrations from being transmitted to the meter bridge, desktop, etc...(you want to drive the air, not the item the monitors are resting on.
Quote:
This is a little bit of physics 101, but

[the amount of LF energy that can be transferred through the cross-sectional area of a spike]/[second]

is a great deal less than can be transferred across the contact area of the base of a standard near-field monitor on a meter bridge (or desk)/[second]. The bubble wrap idea is sound in theory and does improve the sound a good deal....

The spike idea is so easy to implement and the improvement is so easy to hear that it's surprising to hear that people would prefer to haggle the physics rather than just A/B it.
Well, when I was in graduate school I TA'd an introductory physics "101" course. And if I were grading your paper I would probably give you a C-. It is true that energy transmission through a transmission line depends on the cross sectional area and the wavelength. But what you fail to understand is that at audio frequencies short metal spikes do not act as transmission lines. The speed of sound is so high and consequently the wavelengths are so long that the tip of the spike is effectively 100% in phase with the base. So the spike acts as a simple mechanical coupling. There is no filtering going on, and no difference in the spike's ability to transmit high or low audio frequencies. Although, one might argue that the extra mass of the spike, as well as frictional losses as the tip slightly penetrates into a softer surface, could tend to attenuate HIGH frequencies.

Take a look at my diagram on page 3 of this thread. There is a simple, straitforward explanation for the decoupling mechanism. No hand waving necessary.
Old 18th June 2005
Lives for gear

barefoot:

Yes, of course you're correct; I could have sworn I stopped at two martinis, but...

Experimentally, the LF energy I'm transmitting through the floor is less with spikes than without. A LOT less. Maybe this has more to do with what the floor is made of (concrete), nonetheless it's there (or not there.)

For a while I lived in a place where I had downstairs neighbors, and they were completely intolerant of loud music (imagine!) That was when I discovered spikes. The explanation came with them; but again, experimentally, the problem was solved. The added bonus was that everything I listened to sounded a bit cleaner, and I could more easily ascertain pitch in the low freq's.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search