The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SA-87 by STAM, what's the verdict? Condenser Microphones
Old 6th March 2018
Here for the gear

I'm curious to know what everyones thoughts are comparing the SA-87 to the Peluso P87.. I am in the market to buy one and I just dont know who to buy from.. I think I have narrowed it down to these two..
Old 6th March 2018
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispa1 View Post
I'm curious to know what everyones thoughts are comparing the SA-87 to the Peluso P87.. I am in the market to buy one and I just dont know who to buy from.. I think I have narrowed it down to these two..
I have not tried the Peluso so I can't comment.

You should always ask yourself where the capsule is made and who makes it, that is the ONLY thing you should care about when buying a mic. The rest is all the same, same circuit, same components, etc... etc..
Old 6th March 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanaconda View Post

You should always ask yourself where the capsule is made and who makes it, that is the ONLY thing you should care about when buying a mic. The rest is all the same, same circuit, same components, etc... etc..
from what I understand it's the same capsule
Old 7th March 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:

if this is correct and they both use the same capsule, both mics would sound exactly the same, and identical to the u87, right?
Old 7th March 2018
Company Rep
Quote:
if this is correct and they both use the same capsule, both mics would sound exactly the same, and identical to the u87, right?
Yes but they don't
We use a hand made Heiserman capsules in the US, it's a unique feature of the SA87 and probably the reason why it sounds identical to a Vintage Neumann
The Sowter output transformer we use also makes a little difference, it is much larger so it has an extended low end which matches the original.
Old 7th March 2018
Company Rep
Quote:
from what I understand it's the same capsule
I am quite surprised by your post.
Old 7th March 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
I am quite surprised by your post.
why is that?
Old 7th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
why is that?
Cause peluso makes their own capsules in the factory in China and no where have I seen Heiserman listed, and the sa-87 says Heiserman everywhere the mic is listed.
Old 7th March 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carabinerx View Post
Quote:
why is that?
Cause peluso makes their own capsules in the factory in China and no where have I seen Heiserman listed, and the sa-87 says Heiserman everywhere the mic is listed.
interesting and my apology. I'm a newbie and just trying to find the best and closest to the u87..

the P-87 states this:

Technical Data
Capsule Type: Condenser Pressure Gradient w/ 34mm capsule
Frequency Range: 20Hz/20Khz
Polar Pattern: Cardioid, Omni, Figure of 8
Sensitivity: 10 mv/pa
Impedance: 200 ohms
SPL: 152 dB w/ pad
Equivalent Noise: 14 dB(A)
Power Requirements: Phantom - 48v +/- 4v
Current Consumption: < 4.0 MA
Size: 56mm x 228mm
Weight: 584 g
Old 3rd July 2018
Here for the gear

Your stuff is amazing. THANK YOU!
Old 3rd July 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Really ? At this stage?
We are just making stuff that is not made anymore. If you don't like it it's fine, but calling me a scammer is not the appropriate term for what we do. I guess the entire audio community are scammers as well.
Your stuff is amazing. THANK YOU!
Old 13th December 2018
Gear Nut

Has the latest batch started being sent out yet?
Old 17th December 2018
Gear Nut

No word on this December release?
Old 17th December 2018
Company Rep
We start shipping them end of the month, building them right now!
Old 10th January 2019
Gear Nut

Anyone get an invoice for sa 87s yet?
Old 10th January 2019
Company Rep
All invoices are going out next week
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Nut

Hmmm I didn't receive one yet, are they all gone out?
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

If you had to decide wether to purchase the SA-87 or the upcoming SA-800 with a nice discount, that you could only use on either of the units, which one would you go for? I know they´re different beasts, but I´d like to hear people´s thoughts. I was initially settled for the SA-87, a nice big and vintage transformer sound, but with this newly released SA-800, I´m starting to have doubts. Before you ask, I don´t mind waiting for the mic to be ready!

What would you do?

Thanks!
Old 28th January 2019
Company Rep
A tube mic will always sound "better"
Old 28th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
A tube mic will always sound "better"
I'm sticking with the SA-87 for the discount, and have pre-ordered the SA-800, like a good slutz. Turns out I save more money this way, and I can have my dreamed vintagey 87 in the next weeks. Still waiting for the invoice though, I hope I can make it on the batch you are building right now.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

How loud are you able to get with the SA-87? I find that when recording vocals that mines crumbles on k’s and p’s and other de-esss worthy frequencies if if I try to record vocals at louder levels, even when a ft or two away from mic. It sounds as if the mic has some kind of voltage overload and just collapses for a split sec. My other mics don’t behave that way.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have not heard the Stam 87, but here's a video comparing the Peluso 87 vs a Neumann U87. Hope it helps.

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

@StamAudio when will you have the new batch of SA-87 ready to ship?

Thank you
Old 2 weeks ago
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dricks123 View Post
How loud are you able to get with the SA-87? I find that when recording vocals that mines crumbles on k’s and p’s and other de-esss worthy frequencies if if I try to record vocals at louder levels, even when a ft or two away from mic. It sounds as if the mic has some kind of voltage overload and just collapses for a split sec. My other mics don’t behave that way.
This has to be checked

Please email [email protected]

Thanks
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Just purchased one. I'm excited for this! This could be my end all mic for LDC's.

No invoicing just went straight to full payment on PayPal so I'm guessing these are in stock ready to go?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Very disappointing nearly 1 month delay after payment in full, no sign of sa 87 still.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrizzi View Post
Very disappointing nearly 1 month delay after payment in full, no sign of sa 87 still.
Did you reach out to Joshua or anyone to get a time estimate? I was told they were ready but just have 10 days backlog for QC before shipping (5 days ago). Contacted shipping and was told I would get it before April 5th (when I leave the country, so quite important to me!). Looks like they're on their way soon!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarr View Post
Did you reach out to Joshua or anyone to get a time estimate? I was told they were ready but just have 10 days backlog for QC before shipping (5 days ago). Contacted shipping and was told I would get it before April 5th (when I leave the country, so quite important to me!). Looks like they're on their way soon!
Yes I've been in contact, I was told it would be 2 or 3 weeks max over a month ago.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Yes I've been in contact, I was told it would be 2 or 3 weeks max over a month ago.
Haven't received a reply to an email sent 8 days ago.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Haven't received a reply to an email sent 8 days ago.
That's a bummer - if it doesn't ship out this week, I'll need to get a refund as it won't get here before I leave the country. I guess "in stock" doesn't really mean "in stock"?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search