The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mixing... Pulse synthbass.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Mixing... Pulse synthbass.

Don´t like it, very hard to get any definition and punch, find it just to be hollow and boring.
How do you treat it?
I feel that it usually need lots of distortion to cut trough.

It´s like it only have two frequencies in it and if you´re at a spot with a dip at one of the frequencies theres not much left of the bass.

Best,
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru
If I don't like a synth preset I don't use it ...
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
If I don't like a synth preset I don't use it ...
Don´t have much choice as a mixengineer when that is what I have been served..
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru
If that's the sound he/she wanted, better leave it that way I suppose. I kind like hollow square wave bass sounds for some things ... it can love chorus/flanging/dimension etc to give it some life. Maybe some modulated delay ... How does it work with the kick? I find if I have a hollow synthy bass I like to have a harder hitting acoustic kick rather than a flabby synth kick ...

Hard to tell out of context.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Some of my DJ clients like that square bass sound. I (presumably like the OP) am not a fan. I usually parallel process it through decapitator and compress the hell out of it. The other possibility is sending it through Guitar Rig for some distortion and amp sym processing. The key in both cases is compression and carving out a space for the kick with a parametric EQ.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

I love amping them, and then mixing that signal in. Low pass the mixed signal. Distort and or compress. I usually parallel that. You have to decide if it sits above or below the kick for eq, or side chain it to the kick, but you'll lose the punch. Maybe try a transient designer, as well, to add punch.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilli View Post
Don´t like it, very hard to get any definition and punch, find it just to be hollow and boring.
How do you treat it?

It´s like it only have two frequencies in it and if you´re at a spot with a dip at one of the frequencies theres not much left of the bass.

Best,
Perhaps get them to edit the sound a little, one pulse wave sweeping narrow so the bass doesn't cut out, and the other sweeping full range.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilli View Post
How do you treat it?

Best,
There is only ONE thing that will make it sound "right"

EQ and compress from now till the end of time, it won't make a bit of difference, there is no plug-in in existence that can do what you need,

TAPE TAPE and TAPE

SLAM it to tape, pin that MF'er, then hit playback and weep tears of manly joy
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search