The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Am I driving this too hard? (GAP 573)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Am I driving this too hard? (GAP 573)

Hi friends

I made a similar Thread already, but wanted to make another one with audio examples just to be sure. I just bought my second GAP 573, so I can use them in stereo for my overheads. (got a WA12 MK2 for my snare too.. wohoooo) ;-)

And I am still not sure if I am driving them too hard, if you look at the waveforms you can see that they are chopped on top. If I back of one click the transients behave normal, but it doesn't sound that thick.
Is it normal to drive a pre that hot? Or should I take it down a notch?

Thanks in advance
Attached Files

OH L chop.wav (1.42 MB, 304 views)

OH R chop.wav (1.42 MB, 301 views)

Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

One of I think biggest problems with Daw's people start mixing ,compressing, Eq'ing ,recording with there eyes instead of there ears.

In other words doesn't make a damn what a wave form looks like , it's what it sounds like .
Old 1 week ago
Be careful with the gap 73. They are usually wired out of phase.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
Be careful with the gap 73. They are usually wired out of phase.
It`s a 573. It`s an EQ, not the preamp.

As for the OP, I don`t hear any indication of anything driven to hard. The 2 samples sound different, obviously different EQ settings. Nothing wrong as far as signal.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmade View Post
One of I think biggest problems with Daw's people start mixing ,compressing, Eq'ing ,recording with there eyes instead of there ears.

In other words doesn't make a damn what a wave form looks like , it's what it sounds like .
I know, you are so right. And actually I really like how it sounds. It's just that fear of doing something "wrong"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaMusic View Post
As for the OP, I don`t hear any indication of anything driven to hard. The 2 samples sound different, obviously different EQ settings. Nothing wrong as far as signal.
Thank you very much. The two examples sound different cause one is my right and one my left OH mic. No eq involved at all ;-)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Nu-tra is right regarding the phase issues of the gap, though.
Although this might not be related to what the OP is experiencing.

Anyway it's clear that the OP is referring to the the preamp..
I don't know how you could track overheads with an eq otherwise..

I suspect that after that point (pushing the gain more) the 573 saturates much more therefore the thicker sound (and the waveform taking the hit).. If this is normal with that preamp I don't know, I don't own one, but some sort of saturation from the xformers is what most people are looking for in a neve (in this case an cheap clone) module.

just my 0,02$,

Cheu

Last edited by cheu78; 6 days ago at 11:20 AM..
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
Nu-tra is right regarding the phase issues of the gap, though.
Although this might not be related to what the OP is experiencing.

Anyway it's clear that the OP is referring to the the preamp..
I don't know how you could track overheads with an eq otherwise..

I suspect that after that point (pushing the gain more) the 573 saturates much more therefore the thicker sound (and the waveform taking the hit).. If this is normal with that preamp I don't know, I don't own one, but some sort of saturation from the xformers is what most people are looking for in a neve (in this case an cheap clone) module.

just my 0,02$,

Cheu
Yeah, you`re probably right. I just saw the "573" and assumed he was having issues with the eq.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.M View Post
Hi friends

I made a similar Thread already, but wanted to make another one with audio examples just to be sure. I just bought my second GAP 573, so I can use them in stereo for my overheads. (got a WA12 MK2 for my snare too.. wohoooo) ;-)

And I am still not sure if I am driving them too hard, if you look at the waveforms you can see that they are chopped on top. If I back of one click the transients behave normal, but it doesn't sound that thick.
Is it normal to drive a pre that hot? Or should I take it down a notch?

Thanks in advance
You might want to try spectral foldback. It worked for me.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmade View Post

And PLAYING of course. That's the main one. The grid is a soul killer.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:

The 573 is the Pre73 in 500 series format.

As for being wired "out of phase", that just means it's a different pin "hot". I forget which way round it usually is, but some gear differs.
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search