The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DI Question Direct Injection & Re-amp Boxes
Old 15th June 2017
Gear Maniac

DI Question

So, I have some guitar pedals I want to use as hardware inserts in my DAW. My Eventide stuff gives me the option of line level in and out which is great, but can someone recommend a solution that gets me out of my converter at line level and into a regular, instrument level guitar pedal and then back in again?
Old 15th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Just realized that my subject doesn't exactly match my post. I was thinking radial makes something in their DI form factor that would fit the bill for this?
Old 15th June 2017
Old 15th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Well, I have a Radial Reamp. Which does step one in getting line level to instrument level, but if I want to go back into my DAW and not an actual amp what are my best options to get the instrument level back to line level? Reamp out > Another DI > Preamp > Converter?
Old 15th June 2017
If I understand you correctly, yes.

For example, if I wanted to use a guitar pedal as a vocal effect, as a hardware insert, I would go:

Converter Output ->
Reamp Line Input ->
Hi-z into pedal ->
Pedal output ->
DI box to mic pre OR
DI input on mic pre OR
High End DI with Line Level out ->
Converter Input

If I'm doing this on a guitar I will usually run back into my Tonecraft 363 DI which has a Line level out.

If I'm doing this with a vocal I will usually run back into the DI on my BAE 1073mp

Does that make sense?

BTW I recommend printing those tracks as soon as you got them dialed. AND sometimes it is cool to blend the printed track back in parallel with the unprocessed track.
Old 15th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Perfect, thought so. Now, as this is gearslutz...what kinda high end, line level out DIs are we talkin' about? List 'em!
Old 15th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by brothertony View Post
Perfect, thought so. Now, as this is gearslutz...what kinda high end, line level out DIs are we talkin' about? List 'em!
I'm sure there are a couple threads already!

But I really like the Tonecraft 363

I know really like the Avalon u5 but I don't care for it.

I'm sure there are others with a line output.

As I mentioned, you could also just go into the DI Input that many mic pres have incorporated.
Old 15th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Yeah, aside from two Flickingers, all my pres have DI inputs. Just seeing what other kind of boxes do this sort of thing. The Little Labs IBP also looks pretty rad for this.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search