The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
3 Best mics for male and female Vox
Old 17th October 2002
Lives for gear

3 Best mics for male and female Vox

Hi Guys
I know this topic has been talked about a gazillon times would like to hear
recomenations and thougts on diffrent setups.Im getting ready to upgrade the locker!Thanks
Old 17th October 2002
One with big hooves

What do you own? What have you used? What's your budget? What don't you like about what you own? What are you looking for that your current mics aren't giving you?
Old 17th October 2002
Gear Maniac

I´ll say:

Blue Bottle
Manley Ref C
U67

If your in to new pop sound these are the best for my ears. Don´t bother testing all the gazillion mics that are out there. Been there done that. (produced and recorded 4 gold & 2 platinum records).

Good additionals:

Daking pre.
Summit element 78
Cranesong Flamongo :-) (i)

FYI. All the Britney, N´Sync, Backstreet´s vocals are recorded with a Manley Ref C and Calrec 3200 pre,eq,comp.

Old 17th October 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Neve Sucks!
FYI. All the Britney, N´Sync, Backstreet´s vocals are recorded with a Manley Ref C and Calrec 3200 pre,eq,comp.
...And a touch of autotune!
Old 18th October 2002
Neumann U87

I have always been under the impression that the Neumann U87 is the most commonly used vocal microphone, particularly for recording female vocals.

The Neumann TLM103 is essentially the '87 using a cardoid pattern if one is on a budget.

- Sam
Old 18th October 2002
Gear Addict

Re: Neumann U87

Quote:
Originally posted by samiam
IThe Neumann TLM103 is essentially the '87 using a cardoid pattern if one is on a budget.
Hmmm....I would beg to differ. They sound very different. Let's be truthful to those "on a budget."

I'm digging what I have heard of the VM1 for female and male vocals. Or on the right female I have heard a 4033 sound pretty good. On girls with "husky" voices I have heard the Manley Ref C sound amazing. I'll take a good u67 too if it fits. I really don't care for the new Neumann 147, 149 and such.

+/-3db
Old 18th October 2002
Gear Maniac

Re: Neumann U87

Quote:
Originally posted by samiam
I have always been under the impression that the Neumann U87 is the most commonly used vocal microphone, particularly for recording female vocals.

The Neumann TLM103 is essentially the '87 using a cardoid pattern if one is on a budget.

- Sam
" I'll take a good u67 too if it fits. I really don't care for the new Neumann 147, 149 and such." WORD!!

U87 suuuucks on vocals!! It´s harsch and a bit to attacky for my taste. The TLM 103 sounds much better in my ears. It´s a very good mic for the money.
Still not close to the Blue Bottle or Refd C thow........yuktyy
Old 18th October 2002
Lives for gear

Neve Sucks!
How does the ref c compare to let say the soundelux E47?
Old 18th October 2002
Gear Head

I am feeling the same setup as Sir Neve Suck! is talking about would be the best, but you would have to add the Cranesong Trakker for compressing/Limiting. This would be the killer rig that I am gonna own very soon.heh
Old 18th October 2002
Lives for gear

It's interesting you are all rating the Manley Ref C so highly, I assume you guys prefer it to the Gold. I read this on the Manley site:

"With your present mic, if you find yourself leaning on your compressors and boosting 5 or 10K to score a bit more testosterone, then the Reference Cardioid just might be the mic you’re looking for to cure what ails ya. If you seem to be constantly boosting 12-18K and trying to get a clean, intimate sound, then probably the Reference Gold would be the safest bet._"

I would've thought with the new pop sound it would be 12-18K region where the magic is needed, but maybe the 5-10K is the radio cut through point but nice and smooth with the Ref C eh?

Cheers

Renie
Old 18th October 2002
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by JFernandez
Neve Sucks!
How does the ref c compare to let say the soundelux E47?
Has´nt had the chance to try any of the Soundelux mics.....grudge
Old 18th October 2002
My list would be AKG C12(males), Neuman M49/cmv 3(females) and maybe a U67(everybody else?).

The Blue bottle is not bad, but you need the right capsule. The Manley is one of those hit or miss type of mics. I am curious to try the new VM1 Klaus Heyne edition and the new Telefunken 250 though. I think a good U87 is a standby mic(easier to EQ etc). A steal for vocal mics under a $1000 would be the CAD E300. With a good pre/EQ(this mics loves Neve's) this mic in tight spots gave me great results where the top contenders were just not happening. And by the way just because some mics work on some people(ie Britney and Back Street) doesn't mean it will work on others. Vocals are a personal thing.

Quote:
Originally posted by Neve Sucks!
I´ll say:

Blue Bottle
Manley Ref C
U67

If your in to new pop sound these are the best for my ears. Don´t bother testing all the gazillion mics that are out there. Been there done that. (produced and recorded 4 gold & 2 platinum records).

Good additionals:

Daking pre.
Summit element 78
Cranesong Flamongo :-) (i)

Old 18th October 2002
Gear Addict

Jonatha Brooke used an E300 on this last album....sounded a-freakin-mazing. Of course I could listen to her sing thru a tin can and love it. That Clearmountain guys ain't no slouch either....
Old 18th October 2002
Yeah i remember reading that somewhere. I think after that the used prices started going up. I fell onto it by accident(almost didn't try it because it was a CAD). But when I did through it up just for kicks, I always kept coming back to it. It shocked me how good it sounded on some female and male singers. I guess never underestimate something because of the name.
Old 19th October 2002
One with big hooves

Just for ****s and giggles, how is the CAD VSM-1 "toob" mic? I've seen them selling used for low bucks and if it's usable on anything I might pick one up. I kind of like the E-100 and 200 for overheads and drum room mics but I haven't had great luck with them on much else except for the random percussion part or acoustic guitar. Then again, I think just about any mic is good on percussion overdubs...
Old 19th October 2002
Lives for gear

My Vote:

Male
Sony 800G
U67 Tube
U87

Female
Sony 800G
C12
U87

The pre has a lot to do with the sound of a lot of these mics so your milage will vary.
Old 22nd October 2002
Mindreader

Hey, I'm spending all my time recording a husky girl vocal

Someone mentioned the manley ref c

is this it?

http://www.manleylabs.com/containerp...ardioid99.html
Old 22nd October 2002
Top 3 classic's gotta be

U47 / Elam 251 (are they the SAME thing or what?)
C12
U69
Old 22nd October 2002
Gear Maniac

I might get kicked for this ....

but the U87 sucks !!!
I just got that new Brauner Phantom in my hands and lined it up with U87, U89, TLM103, TLM170, Gefell UM70 and AKG 414 B-TLII.

The U87 was the worst, even the 414 sounded smoother.
The winner was the TLM170, and for the budget definetly the 103.
Actually it sounds way closer to a TLM170 than to a U87.

The phantom was O.K., but nothing really exciting.

P.S.: by the way, the pre was a V76 and an ISA215
Old 22nd October 2002
Lives for gear

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jules
[B

Not at all.the ELAM 251 is closer to the C12 although they differ a bit (built by AKG,same capsule) ELAM were export versions built specifically for Telefunken (I think) . Some Neuman were badged Telefunken but they were the same (the Neuman name still appears on those :my 47 is like that)
Old 22nd October 2002
Gear Maniac

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Volodia
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
[B

ELAM were export versions built specifically for Telefunken (I think) . Some Neuman were badged Telefunken but they were the same (the Neuman name still appears on those :my 47 is like that)
Hi Volodia,

Telefunken was the distributor of different brands, like the V76 was made by TAB, but distributed by Telefunken.
Same with the U47 : Neumann was the manufacturer but it was distributed by Telefunken.
As far as I know after a while Neumann realised the succes Telefunken had with their U47, so they decided to market it under their own brand. Telefunken, being left with no high end mic, contacted AKG in Austria for a mic just as the U47 - and AKG came up with the ELAM.
Old 22nd October 2002
Lives for gear

Thanks very much for the precision
Old 22nd October 2002
Lives for gear

new microphones would include;
Brauner VM1 HKE
Sony C800G
Soundelux Elux251
Neumann TLM170
Old 22nd October 2002
Gear Maniac

Here it is...

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules

Telefunken was growing rapidly at this time and company managers continued to find creative ways to enhance the image and presentation of various products. Former AEG-Telefunken employee George Neumann started his own company in 1928 and was issued to build the Telefunken developed CMV1 microphone, an upgrade of the Wente design, instead he upgraded it to the CMV2 that later became the famous Bottle Microphone CMV3. Telefunken worked out a deal where Neumann would build the microphones and Telefunken would market them. The partnership was a success for some time and some wonderful microphones were distributed under the Telefunken name; microphones like the U47 and the KM56 and the KM254.

Telefunken approached other manufacturers as well, like Schoeps and AKG after it became apparent that George Neumann and the staff at Telefunken did not always agree on design and manufacturing. George, of course, went on to build one of the most respected microphone companies in the world today, George Neumann GmbH. Telefunken continued selling quality recording microphones made by other manufacturers. The renowned and much sought after Ela M 251 was developed during this time and came about as a result of the need for a new and original design. Simple, yet well designed, the 251 microphone was a technological achievement and represented the freshest manufacturing and design techniques of the time. They produced approximately 2000 to 3000 units and sold them for around $300 dollars a piece. Telefunken expected them to be used for a couple of years and then discarded. Unbeknownst to them they have become the most expensive vintage microphones on the modern market. The Elektroakustic line continued for many years and produced healthy revenues for Telefunken.
Old 23rd October 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Ckevperry
Jonatha Brooke used an E300 on this last album....sounded a-freakin-mazing. Of course I could listen to her sing thru a tin can and love it. That Clearmountain guys ain't no slouch either....
Funny you should mention that. As much as I love both of them, I found that new album to be very unpleasant sounding. Very edgy and processed, to my ears. Overworked, I think. Didn't Clearmountain produce it as well as mix?

Rick Krizman
KrizManic Music
Old 26th October 2002
Lives for gear

vox

Manley Gold Ref
C12
Lawson 47 MP in cardiod flip

for dull vocals try the much maligned M149

the Manley and C12 are both decendents of the 251.
Argue away

another cool female vocal setup:
Royer 121- Vipre- VariMu = vintage
Old 26th October 2002
Re: vox

Quote:
Originally posted by chap

for dull vocals try the much maligned M149

That's if you want to dull them even more.

the Manley and C12 are both decendents of the 251.
Argue away

Descendant of what? How you even put the Manley and the C12 in the same sentence is beyond me.tut

The C12 and the 251 sound nothing alike. I am sure they were in competition with each other(the C12 is to me more versatile anyway). The Manley Ref is an either or mic(either you like it or you hate it). Its not in that class. Maybe an M49 or CMV, but not a Manley.

another cool female vocal setup:
Royer 121- Vipre- VariMu = vintage

This sounds like a cool setup for sure.

Old 26th October 2002
Gear Addict

Re: vox

Quote:
Originally posted by chap

Lawson 47 MP in cardiod flip

What do you mean by cardiod "flip"? Just curious.
Old 27th October 2002
Lives for gear

re:flip

The Lawson comes with a swith that defeats the
variable multi pattern pot. It adds 3-6 dB and gives a tighter sound for vocals.

As for mic ancestry. According to Gene Lawson,
the Gold Ref and the c12 are in fact, cousins.
Much like the 149 would be a more compatible
partner to the Lawson or the Neuman 47.

The Lawson is a great mic especially considering the price.
The Manley is not an either/or mic. Like any mic,
it needs to be used correctly.
In 90% of the blind tests I've done, the Manley ends up getting chosen for vocals. People seem to love the open glassy top and the unhyped mids.

We usually spend a day choosing a basic mic for a vocalist. Seems like a lot but after matching the voice to the mic to the mic pre, it's time that you get back. Of course that doesn't mean you can't swith up for variety.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search