The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The best cheap microphones that are actually worth collecting
Old 10th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67mike View Post
It is an absolute bargain at twice the price!
I'm not doubting it's a bargain, it's just I'm not sure if it's straying out of the OP's question about collectable cheap microphones? May be they can specify what the max price they consider cheap?
Old 10th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw63 View Post
Where did you position the mic for the acoustic?
Pretty standard. About 30 cm in front of the 14th fret.I may move a bit to avoid any extra booming sound.
Old 10th May 2019
Quote:
Yes, quite impressed with this Rode NT!..........BUT if you want a truly AMAZING mic.....look at Weissklang V17......WOW is all I can say!!!
I just bought the Weißklang V13 and it's also really good. A classy feel.
Old 10th May 2019
If you can find one, an MXL V77 is a killer tube mic. It was the first tube mic MXL ever produced. In fact, it was one of the very first affordable tube mics. I got one modded with an upgraded tube and after getting it, I sold my Tele Copperhead. Preferred the V77 every time.
Old 10th May 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by hekho View Post
I just bought the Weißklang V13 and it's also really good. A classy feel.
I can certainly imagine it is an excellent mic, and very versitile with the software system.

I got the V17 because I use it for one thing: to record some amazing Female lead vocals.
Old 10th May 2019
Gear Guru
The Vanguard mics are great for the money so "cheap" is relative.
Old 10th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
I can certainly imagine it is an excellent mic, and very versitile with the software system.

I got the V17 because I use it for one thing: to record some amazing Female lead vocals.
Would love to try this mic out on myself and my partners voice. By voice is quite light and hers is quite rich.
Old 10th May 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Would love to try this mic out on myself and my partners voice. By voice is quite light and hers is quite rich.
I took the plunge and bought the V17 mic based on very high recommendation by a fellow here who works all over the world and has access to and works with the best of the best.

My microphone buying days are over. Period.
Old 10th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
I took the plunge and bought the V17 mic based on very high recommendation by a fellow here who works all over the world and has access to and works with the best of the best.

Well, I have one mic coming from barbaric Amplification soon and another will follow from him, so I will have to put it on the list of mics to try for sure when i can afford to, unless I can come to your studio and have a go? lol
Old 10th May 2019
Lives for gear

Little Blondie is a good quality, affordable, omni condenser.
Old 11th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Famous last words!
Chris

P.S. AKG P120 (black) is a recent discovery of mine,
Old 11th May 2019
The Sterling ST-31 makes an great snare drum mic.
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear

All the Audio Technica 40 series mics are good.
Old 12th May 2019
I’ll add the EV 635a (if it hasn’t been added already, I read this thread but after a week I forget) A cheap mic that should be in all lockers. Not really a lo fi sound either. I cut some rap with it (the day I received it and wanted to try it) and it was wonderful. Was a little too bright through the 1176 but through the CL1A it was incredible. Sat in the ruff mix really well. I Also used it on some lo fi drums 8 feet to the right of the floor tom 3’ high. Filled out that side of the kit well.
Old 12th May 2019
Gear Nut

+1 WeissKlang V17

Really a beast of a microphone. In my locker it replaced a lot of other microphones.
I love using it alongside with my U87A for vocals, guitar and it became my goto mic recently for ASMR.
Sometimes I even prefer the V17 over the U87Ai, because the V17 just delivers a very high resolution.
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear

George Massenburgs favourite snare mic: Sennheiser MD431 (get the MK1, not the newer MK2) - usually available for around 150€, don't pay more. If you're lucky you get one for less than 100, stay clear of Ebay where everything costs more because the ca. 30% those greedy (insert four letter word here) take, including (more four letter words) Paypal. This mic is good for a number of sources, including vocals. Not so great on guitars.
There's many many really good mics that were expensive in their days and show up for pocket money because nobody knows them.
Old 12th May 2019
Not 'cheap' exactly but relatively cheap (and good value): the Aston Stealth and Weissklang V13.
Attached Thumbnails
The best cheap microphones that are actually worth collecting-stealth-voice.png   The best cheap microphones that are actually worth collecting-v13a.jpg  
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear

rca paintbrush, shure 300 315, altec 633a .akg d200e , ev re 10 15, akg 451,
Old 13th May 2019
Lives for gear

Forgot about the Vanguard V13. For $750, you're not touching a better mic, period.
Old 13th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Adkins View Post
Forgot about the Vanguard V13. For $750, you're not touching a better mic, period.
Again, not sure this is a cheap mic, even if it’s a bargain at its price. Wish the OP would say what he considers cheap. I personally think mics under $250 are cheap.
Old 20th May 2019
Here for the gear

[QUOTE=....So besides 3U Audio for LDCs I recommend Line Audio for SDCs, RM BIVs for ribbons (yes, I've tried most of the cheap ribbons). [/QUOTE]

SO>>>regarding the RM BIVs....have you tried Igor's RM BIV 2 ...his stereo ribbon mic?
>>>>is it as good as the BIV1s? ( is it actually 2 BIV1s in one chassis? or
>>>>is it better sounding?

Any music clips you can share? I'm torn between 2 BIV1s or the BIV2. Please help.
Old 20th May 2019
Gear Guru
Just looked at Oktava prices on Thomann. That's nuts for those. Not just the 319, but the 2500 is a great tube mic......
Old 21st May 2019
Lives for gear

I like the Realistic 33-1070 dynamic omnis, sort of RE50 clones. Early ones were Japanese, later ones (some as Genexxa brand) made by Shure in Mexico. Different sounding but both good. I think there was a Taiwan one inbetween too.

Other Realistics I've got:
33-1080, a Sony ECM22/23 related electret. Battery powered, XLR connection. Not super quiet but I like how it sounds.
33-2011, a Sony made omni electret. Sounds pleasant but not much bottom end.

All dirt cheap.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search