The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
500 series tube preamps, who owns one
Old 25th May 2017
Lives for gear

500 series tube preamps, who owns one

Im thinking about getting one to try out on vocals, I know the lachapell gets lots of love, but anyone compared or owned the Rolls Music Tubule or Sound Skulptor mp566?
Show replies

Last edited by Carabinerx; 25th May 2017 at 06:13 PM..
Old 25th May 2017
Here for the gear
We have two Sound Skulptor mp566.
We love them!
Show replies
Old 25th May 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabostudio View Post
We have two Sound Skulptor mp566.
We love them!
Nice! im actually very curious about these -- are you using them on vocals; with a tube or fet mic? Can you offer any sonic impressions compared to another preamp you may own/have owned?

And sorry for the 3rd degree!
Show replies
Old 26th May 2017 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carabinerx View Post
Nice! im actually very curious about these -- are you using them on vocals; with a tube or fet mic? Can you offer any sonic impressions compared to another preamp you may own/have owned?

And sorry for the 3rd degree!
We use them for ribbon, tube, dynamic mic (Coles 4038, AEA R84, Sennheiser MD441, U67 clone etc.
For vocals, drum overhead, string etc.
We have 4 CAPI VP28, 3 VP312, 4 Sound Skulptor MP573, 2 MP599, 2 MP566 and soon 4 JLM Audio BAD
Show replies
Old 26th May 2017
Lives for gear
Have Syrens... They good.
Show replies
Old 26th May 2017
Lives for gear

Cool, thanks guys. How'd the 566 hold upon vocals in comparison to those? I'm really just trying to make a decision between the lachapell 583 mki and the sound skulptor. There isn't tons but I've seen mixed opinions about the 566, but they are getting to be pretty old posts
Show replies
Old 27th May 2017
Lives for gear
I own the LaChapell 583 and 992eg both are great my 583 gets used in vocal and bass a lot me I have many other choices but I always seem to end up with the 583 .
Mine has the Telefunken tube in it and made a difference in sound .
That being said the original tube didn't suck at all
Show replies
Old 27th May 2017
Jtt
Gear Addict

Sound Skulptor is lovely. And at its price; practically a steal. It can be used as a saturation box, or a beautiful, round, and harmonically rich pre. I love using at for hair at the mixing stage, through my daws hardware inserts. I'm considering getting a second to run the mix bus through.

It hangs with my Lola, VP28, and great river quality wise. Doesn't have quite as extended of a high end, but it is rich.

I put a clip with it on vocals and AC Guitar in the Low end 3U audio demos thread.
Show replies
Old 28th May 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtt View Post
Sound Skulptor is lovely. And at its price; practically a steal. It can be used as a saturation box, or a beautiful, round, and harmonically rich pre. I love using at for hair at the mixing stage, through my daws hardware inserts. I'm considering getting a second to run the mix bus through.

It hangs with my Lola, VP28, and great river quality wise. Doesn't have quite as extended of a high end, but it is rich.

I put a clip with it on vocals and AC Guitar in the Low end 3U audio demos thread.
That combo sounds really good, and that's a convincing Cash btw. I really like the sound. Do you know if the input drives the tube or if it's like the roll music tubule that uses and input attenuator and the output knob controls the tube?
Show replies
Old 28th May 2017 | Show parent
Jtt
Gear Addict

Quote:
That combo sounds really good, and that's a convincing Cash btw. I really like the sound. Do you know if the input drives the tube or if it's like the roll music tubule that uses and input attenuator and the output knob controls the tube?
Thanks.

I'm pretty sure the input drives the tube--at least I hope so, because that's how I've been imagining it as I use it. It gets more saturated as the input goes up, and the output adds clean gain.

It has three levels of tube saturation: low, mid, and high. For mics, I usually have to use high to get enough gain--high still stays as clean as you want it. Line levels sound great running through it at low and mid levels. Bass, as could be anticipated; sounds great through it, either as a DI or hardware insert for mixing.
Show replies
Old 29th May 2017
Lives for gear

I think I'm going to go with the lachapell...first off I really admire his approach and devotion which is quite convincing that this is a well designed and built unit, but more to the point the sound skulptor's circuit just doesn't look as highend...ceramic capacitors and endless electrolytic (not that these bother me as much) unknown transformer, where as the 583 uses what appears to be nicer film caps and jensen/cinemas transformers, though it is a much older design. Plus used ones are available. Thanks for the input guys.

Anyone still rocking the 583s mki ?
Show replies
Old 29th May 2017
Gear Maniac

The Tubule pre's are really nice sounding to my ears. They are my only tube preamps and I would like to have more than just the pair. They certainly sound different compared to my A-Designs and Rupert Neve pre's. You can't really go wrong between the Roll or the LaChapell.
Show replies
Old 29th May 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKWizard View Post
The Tubule pre's are really nice sounding to my ears. They are my only tube preamps and I would like to have more than just the pair. They certainly sound different compared to my A-Designs and Rupert Neve pre's. You can't really go wrong between the Roll or the LaChapell.
I've been unsure about the tubule, there is just nothing out there about it! My real hesitation is the gain set up. Where as the mp566 and 583s drives the tube with the input and then attenuates the output volume, the tubule is attenuating the input signal and using the tube to set the volume...I just don't like the idea of padding the mic signal instead of the tube. It's totally unfounded concern, but attenuating a signal usual results in some freq loss so it, for whatever reason, seems like a better system to attenuate the tube having amplified the signal, rather than the signal itself and follow with a tube...though any attenuation will effect the tone.

Like I said, no idea though! I'm all ears about the tubule, I wish there were some user reviews or audio files
Show replies
Old 29th May 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've been unsure about the tubule, there is just nothing out there about it! My real hesitation is the gain set up. Where as the mp566 and 583s drives the tube with the input and then attenuates the output volume, the tubule is attenuating the input signal and using the tube to set the volume...I just don't like the idea of padding the mic signal instead of the tube. It's totally unfounded concern, but attenuating a signal usual results in some freq loss so it, for whatever reason, seems like a better system to attenuate the tube having amplified the signal, rather than the signal itself and follow with a tube...though any attenuation will effect the tone.

Like I said, no idea though! I'm all ears about the tubule, I wish there were some user reviews or audio files
I've always been curious about the Tubule too. FYI lots of older tube pres basically run at full gain and you attenuate the input

My similarly yet completely different unfounded concern is that the LaChappell (which sounds amazing in all the samples I've heard) has a solid state output gain stage so I kind of feel is not a "real" tube preamp.
Show replies
Old 30th May 2017
Gear Maniac

I forgot to mention I also use Avedis MA5 pre's; solid state, but they have a certain saturation and creaminess to them that bridge the gap between tube & s-s.

The Tubule has a nice heft and color that I like. It feels/sounds like a high-quality 70's piece of tube gear, with a very pleasing analog sound, but with the modern specs that retain clarity and a really low noise-floor. I suppose the topology could be somewhat limiting in certain instances, but I've had no trouble finding great tone. Maybe get one of each for a trial run.
Show replies
Old 30th May 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
I forgot to mention I also use Avedis MA5 pre's; solid state, but they have a certain saturation and creaminess to them that bridge the gap between tube & s-s.

The Tubule has a nice heft and color that I like. It feels/sounds like a high-quality 70's piece of tube gear, with a very pleasing analog sound, but with the modern specs that retain clarity and a really low noise-floor. I suppose the topology could be somewhat limiting in certain instances, but I've had no trouble finding great tone. Maybe get one of each for a trial run.
Hey Wiz, actually I currently use the ma5, it sounds great but on certain vocals can be a little aggressive when paired up with my c12 types, certainly has great presence but the upper mids can be a bit too sharp, though I know it's the mic. Some series compression and a minor high-shelf cut solves this, but I would like to not have to chop the top off in general -- hence the softening of a tube's top end. BUT this is all speculation. Since you own both I would greatly appreciate your feedback on the two.
Show replies

Last edited by Carabinerx; 30th May 2017 at 11:56 PM..
Old 31st May 2017
Gear Maniac

I would say that the Tubule has more heft in the low-mids and is scooped in the high-mids compared to the Avedis. Top-end "zing" seems fairly similar. The Avedis sounds more balanced throughout the spectrum, but I can see where that may be an issue in certain instances. I'm not sure whether the Tubule would solve your issue or not but, I generally feel it brings out the mids with some added "boom" or "fat". There are also various levels of "smooth" when messing with input and gain structure. Oddly enough; using the -20 pad, with the input and gain cranked a bit, could be the kind of "smooth" you're looking for. They can be quite aggressive when pushed too. They are manufactured about an hour away from me (Great River too), so I added them to the rack about a year ago. I'm running stock tubes, btw. Solid build. No issues thus far.
Show replies
Old 1st June 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would say that the Tubule has more heft in the low-mids and is scooped in the high-mids compared to the Avedis. Top-end "zing" seems fairly similar. The Avedis sounds more balanced throughout the spectrum, but I can see where that may be an issue in certain instances. I'm not sure whether the Tubule would solve your issue or not but, I generally feel it brings out the mids with some added "boom" or "fat". There are also various levels of "smooth" when messing with input and gain structure. Oddly enough; using the -20 pad, with the input and gain cranked a bit, could be the kind of "smooth" you're looking for. They can be quite aggressive when pushed too. They are manufactured about an hour away from me (Great River too), so I added them to the rack about a year ago. I'm running stock tubes, btw. Solid build. No issues thus far.
This is exactly the info I looking to hear from this thread. Well I picked up a tubule, should have it next week to compare against the ma5. Should be interesting, I also picked up one of those fancy 5-star, 3 mica, GE 6072 tubes for the c12 so there is a lot of sonic territory to play with. Thanks WKW.
Show replies
Old 1st June 2017
Gear Maniac

That is cool to hear! Hopefully the sound of your module will feel as alive as mine and will become useful to you. Please let us know when you get a little time with it.
Show replies
Old 1st June 2017
Lives for gear

I will! The GE tube came in today and wow! I see why these are so desirable...and expensive haha, honestly it sounds great with the avedis now, so I can't imagine the tubule being a bad investment now, but I'm excited to give it a run. I still have demos to post on the mic in another thread -- would be cool to throw in the preamps on the demo
Show replies
Old 1st June 2017
Gear Addict

We have two Sound Skulptor MP566's and they are great.

At low gains they are relatively clean and sweet and become progressively harmonically richer as the gain is increased.

We have fitted some NOS Mullard 12AT7's to ours and they are smoother than the stock JJ Tubes.

FYI the are three switchable gain positions plus variable input and output attenuators.

The low gain is simply a padded version of the mid gain.
The high gain setting uses less tube feedback and definately provides more saturation and colour.
The switched gain settings used conjunction with the input and output attenuators provides plenty of sonic variation.
Show replies
Old 5th June 2017
Lives for gear

Well the new Tubule arrived...unfortunately I cannot comment on the unit because it doesnt work. Not only does the unit not power on or pass audio (this is where having SOME led indication is useful), two of the 4 hex-bolts on the face that help hold the case together were missing and their respective nuts (which should be permanently affixed) were detached and rattling around inside the unit.

So the only comment I can make is their QC is of some questionability. Also, I didnt realize this design is a decade old...and still so little info on it? ill report back on what happens.
Show replies
Old 6th June 2017
Gear Maniac

I didn't see that happening. I would say you got a unit that was tampered with and returned to whoever sold it to you. But, we shall see. Mine are as solid as every other top-shelf piece that I have access to.
Show replies
Old 6th June 2017
Lives for gear

Well I bought it from soundpure, they said it was straight from the factory, but it's under warranty so they're taking it back, though this may be a good opportunity to test the lachapell they have. I'm also very curious now about the igs 572, but there is little to nothing out there about it
Show replies
Old 6th June 2017
Gear Maniac

You may want to call Roll Music direct (they have their number on the website) and let em' know what happened. I think the Tubule is worth at least a test run; this fluke aside. I'm sure SoundPure would gladly swap it out within some reasonable time period.

As a side note; I've used the Tubules in two different enclosures (BAE & A-Designs) with zero problems or perceived change in sonics.
Show replies
Old 9th June 2017
Lives for gear

Hey, stuff happens, and soundpure is taking care of it but they talked me into the lachapell -- so while the tubule heads back to the factory, the lachapell should be here sometime next week. Honestly I had wanted the lachapell in the first place, but the tubule sounded like a good option and they gave me a good deal on it so I went that route instead -- but ultimately this has lead me back to the lachapell, just out of circumstance. I really wish I could have at least experienced the tubule, but I'm tired of being on the market for a new pre and a couple weeks of shipping and repair time does not meet my remaining patience level, haha
Show replies
Old 9th June 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey, stuff happens, and soundpure is taking care of it but they talked me into the lachapell -- so while the tubule heads back to the factory, the lachapell should be here sometime next week. Honestly I had wanted the lachapell in the first place, but the tubule sounded like a good option and they gave me a good deal on it so I went that route instead -- but ultimately this has lead me back to the lachapell, just out of circumstance. I really wish I could have at least experienced the tubule, but I'm tired of being on the market for a new pre and a couple weeks of shipping and repair time does not meet my remaining patience level, haha
Would love to hear some clips of the LaChapell when it comes in! I've had my eye on one for a while now.
Show replies
Old 9th June 2017
Lives for gear
I hope someone can chime in with experience on the IGS 572 in regards to sound and power consumption. How does it sound and did anyone have any problems with powering this preamp? Which rack are you using? Would it work in an A designs 503hr 1U or does the 572 require more power than each slot provides on that rack?

IGS says the unit requires 6.5 watts but 500 series are always measured in mA. So....?
Show replies
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog007 View Post
Have Syrens... They good.
Any chance you can post some samples? Drums and direct bass/electric guitar would be so so so very much appreciated.

I've nearly bought this pre twice but I've gotten cold feet from the lack of samples. By lack I mean almost zero except some YouTube video of a guy running a tone, literally a tuned tone, through it.
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han View Post
I hope someone can chime in with experience on the IGS 572 in regards to sound and power consumption. How does it sound and did anyone have any problems with powering this preamp? Which rack are you using? Would it work in an A designs 503hr 1U or does the 572 require more power than each slot provides on that rack?

IGS says the unit requires 6.5 watts but 500 series are always measured in mA. So....?
I mean I would trust IGS to do it right, but until some other guinea pigs step into the ring...or soundonsound releases their review, I'm gonna hold off. I don't think the wattage is the issue, approx 3 watts a tube, it's the volts. Both lachapell and roll music spoke about the challenge of getting 250v to the plate from a single space -- how igs can do that with two and not starve the tubes is a mystery to me (I think they are smaller tubes).

Samplles to come!
Show replies
πŸ“ Reply