The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
500 series tube preamps, who owns one
Old 17th June 2017
Lives for gear

The lachapell arrived today, so far it sounds great. I swapped the tube for an OS mullard and im really enjoying this whole set up. Ill hopefully have time to post a clip next week, but very pleased thus far
Old 17th June 2017 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carabinerx View Post
I think I'm going to go with the lachapell...first off I really admire his approach and devotion which is quite convincing that this is a well designed and built unit, but more to the point the sound skulptor's circuit just doesn't look as highend...ceramic capacitors and endless electrolytic (not that these bother me as much) unknown transformer, where as the 583 uses what appears to be nicer film caps and jensen/cinemas transformers, though it is a much older design. Plus used ones are available. Thanks for the input guys.

Anyone still rocking the 583s mki ?
Oh yes! All the time!
Old 23rd June 2018 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Regarding the Roll Music Tubule, there were lots of rave reviews when it came out a decade ago, but I haven't heard much lately. On Zenpro's Clipalator, it stands out as the most tube-sounding 500 series, and very close to almost overlapping tonally with the Coil Audio CA 70 that is getting so much love lately. Whereas I would say the 583 is more clean with less weight when pushed.

Is there any Tubule love out there still?
Old 24th June 2018
Lives for gear
I think I'm the only human on planet earth with Crane song syrens. Not quite sure why
Old 24th June 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog007 View Post
I think I'm the only human on planet earth with Crane song syrens. Not quite sure why
you're not alone!

(ALL gear from crane song is outstanding...)
Old 24th June 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've always been curious about these. How would you say they stack up against other non-500 tube preamps?
Old 25th June 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkaitkai View Post
I've always been curious about these. How would you say they stack up against other non-500 tube preamps?
I really like them! Can get super dirty which is unusual for preamps in this way. I exclusively use on room mics these days as permanently set up. Happy to use on anything though. So many good quality preamps around. They excel in getting a bit nasty in my opinion.
Old 5th October 2018 | Show parent
Can anyone supply any updates on the LaChapell or the Tubule? I'd like to stick to 500 series, and want to explore a tube pre for vocals. Vocally I need something a bit darker and thicker, not clean. My upper mids are a bit harsh, so looking to smooth those out. Currently have MA5, P1, BAE 312. Looking for something sonically in the UA 610 Solo vein or thereabouts I believe. (I have not heard a 610 personally, but from feedback that seems like what would be comparable to what I'm looking for.)

I appreciate any feedback on experience.
Old 5th October 2018
Gear Nut

I asked the question earlier, and ended up buying a pair of Roll Music Tubules. A few months in now. Brilliant preamps, really well done, and covers the stuff my Neve-style doesn't.
Old 6th October 2018 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by LockStock View Post
I asked the question earlier, and ended up buying a pair of Roll Music Tubules. A few months in now. Brilliant preamps, really well done, and covers the stuff my Neve-style doesn't.
Perfect. Really appreciate the response and info. Sounds like the way to go.
Old 6th February 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Thoughts on the Retro 500 tube pre?

Any suggestions for a 500 tube pre in the same league as the UA710?
Old 6th February 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by packermans4 View Post
Can anyone supply any updates on the LaChapell or the Tubule? I'd like to stick to 500 series, and want to explore a tube pre for vocals. Vocally I need something a bit darker and thicker, not clean. My upper mids are a bit harsh, so looking to smooth those out. Currently have MA5, P1, BAE 312. Looking for something sonically in the UA 610 Solo vein or thereabouts I believe. (I have not heard a 610 personally, but from feedback that seems like what would be comparable to what I'm looking for.)

I appreciate any feedback on experience.
The original 610s are unbelievable preamps. It’s not what u are asking for but the Mercury 76 is exactly as u describe. Thick with less high mids. I also have a syren tube 500 series. Would u like me to sing into both preamps and send u comparison, in case u interested in Syren? I honestly don’t know the result in advance because I never use the Syren for vocals. (Not for any sonic reason, just the way I’m set up?
Old 6th February 2020
Lives for gear

Not 500 serie, but affordable super versatile tube pre :
Sebatron VMP . quad versions VMP4000e, stereo VMP2000e, mono VMP1000e
Sleeper pre, sweet sounding, big and 3D
Old 7th February 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladelaw View Post
Any suggestions for a 500 tube pre in the same league as the UA710?
Any of the stuff from LaChappell, IGS, Crane Song, Retro, or Mercury should do the trick. You really can’t go wrong with any of those.
Old 5th March 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
The original 610s are unbelievable preamps. It’s not what u are asking for but the Mercury 76 is exactly as u describe. Thick with less high mids. I also have a syren tube 500 series. Would u like me to sing into both preamps and send u comparison, in case u interested in Syren? I honestly don’t know the result in advance because I never use the Syren for vocals. (Not for any sonic reason, just the way I’m set up?
Did you post this sample and then delete it? I’m trying to find this comparison because it was really useful. I thought there was a setting on the syren that got similar to the mercury.

Could you please send that to me in a PM or repost? Really looking at the syren.

Thanks
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han View Post
Did you post this sample and then delete it? I’m trying to find this comparison because it was really useful. I thought there was a setting on the syren that got similar to the mercury.

Could you please send that to me in a PM or repost? Really looking at the syren.

Thanks
I just PM'd you a private link. Feel free to let me know what u preferred. I'm not going to post audio examples on Gearslutz again and I've taken stuff down. I've basically become extremely disillusioned with the whole site recently and don't want to contribute any actual content that might be useful.

If anyone posts negative info about certain audio companies, (even revealing financial scams independently verified by other members), gearslutz will just remove all of you from a thread or delete it with no consultation. Advertising dollars keep Gearslutz profitable so it's their decision I guess. They can delete this comment as well if they like. My care factor zero. (NB all companies in this thread make wonderful stuff)
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just PM'd you a private link. Feel free to let me know what u preferred. I'm not going to post audio examples on Gearslutz again and I've taken stuff down. I've basically become extremely disillusioned with the whole site recently and don't want to contribute any actual content that might be useful.

If anyone posts negative info about certain audio companies, (even revealing financial scams independently verified by other members), gearslutz will just remove all of you from a thread or delete it with no consultation. Advertising dollars keep Gearslutz profitable so it's their decision I guess. They can delete this comment as well if they like. My care factor zero. (NB all companies in this thread make wonderful stuff)
Lol you're not joking. There was one thread where a gear maker had his niece shilling for him in the thread. I outed the niece and GS deleted my posts and banned me from the thread and left him and his niece in the thread.

I used to contribute a lot and offer help but I cut back on a lot of that the past few years.
Old 25th March 2020
Lives for gear

Cant speak for the others, but the lachapelle is great -- one of my favorites. I bought a tubule and it didnt work, sent it back and exchanged it for the lachapelle, no regrets.
Old 25th March 2020
Tubules are flat out awesome, still after all these years. Never tried the Lachappelle but I'm sure it's awesome as well. I do have a bunch of nice non-500 tube pres and the Tubule hangs easily with all of them.
Old 25th March 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

I have 4 LaChapelle's and love them. They're not 'tube-y' in the sense that they don't seem to try to impart euphonic distortion just to be 'thick' sounding... instead, they seem to bring the source CLOSER to the speaker, and in a way you can't get with EQ. Brilliant design, really helpful tools. Plus, I've had them for years and never had a single problem, which is my favorite thing
Old 20th July 2020
Gear Addict

Anyone heard a 500series tube preamp that can hang with the likes of Coil or DW Fearn in terms of large high quality characterful sound? I only ask as I've used some full sized 19" rack tube preamps that don't sound as big as my DW Fearn VT1.

Retro 500pre? IGS Red Stripe?
Old 1st September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:

I don’t know why I’m just seeing this. Sorry. I never found your PM, but that’s alright. IIRC the mercury and the syren were similar with the color engaged on the syren. Without color engaged the Syren was noticeably more neutral than the mercury. I might have those backwards but my finding is the same. The Syren was closer to the mercury than I expected one way and cleaner than it the other.

I thought that was notable for a 500 series tube preamp and put the syren on the list for me.

Last edited by Ox Han; 1st September 2020 at 01:01 AM..
Old 2nd September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Still no Retro 500PRE users?
Old 3rd September 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSEED View Post
Still no Retro 500PRE users?
I've had a pair for a few months but haven't had much opportunity to really put them through all the paces due to my unique pandemic situation (studio, spouse, and child at home all day). I've messed around with D.I. bass and guitar (RNDI->500pre) which absolutely kills, analog synth (Moog Matriarch - WOW), and running stereo mixes and stems through them. So far I am really impressed Retro pulled this off. They sound amazing and are very well matched (at least my pair is) for stereo applications. Honestly they are a dream come true to me. Lots of gain, and the saturation can be just lovely or an outright fuzz fest, and it has 'that sound' - perfectly rendered and round, almost 3D bass - smoothed controlled low mids - mid and high mids have character, and a beautiful but subtle high sheen/air. Not quite as gooey and euphonic as say an old RCA or as big sounding as the Retro OP6 but for the price the 500pres are a no-brainer. A pair of these is the best stereo analog brickwall limiter I've ever heard but you have to be careful with the gain as it can over-saturate quickly. I am itching to use them with my Beyer ribbon mics but I have to wait until I can get a good space to record in.

So far, I have had zero issues with heat. They do get quite warm but I've left them on all day with no issues. I do want to point out that one of mine came from the factory with the polarity reversed somewhere. I have not had any luck with Retro returning emails but it's not a deal breaker as I can just easily flip the polarity switch.

Hope that helps. Words are so subjective. I highly recommend getting a demo to see what this pre can do for you.

Last edited by sTuNToNe; 3rd September 2020 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: spelling
Gear Addict

thanks for the feedback - do you have any other rack tube pres? am wondering what they compare to sound wise.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSEED View Post
thanks for the feedback - do you have any other rack tube pres? am wondering what they compare to sound wise.
Not currently. Just a pair of Electrodyne 501s. In the past I have used a vintage OP6, reissue OP6, once owned a UA LA-610 mkII, and have heard a Tubule in the past. They are all different. I haven't had an opportunity to shoot out anything yet with the 500pres.
Old 5th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sTuNToNe View Post
Not currently. Just a pair of Electrodyne 501s. In the past I have used a vintage OP6, reissue OP6, once owned a UA LA-610 mkII, and have heard a Tubule in the past. They are all different. I haven't had an opportunity to shoot out anything yet with the 500pres.
electrodynes are cool 2
📝 Reply